When you buy through links on our site, we may earn an affiliate commission.
  • Current Donation Goals

Will date wheel overlay work on eta 2824?

Timelord

Greetings to all,

I have a date wheel overlay for a raffles submariner dial with dial feet for eta.  I see a lot of eta submariners with DWO on 2836, but none on 2824.  Since my watch case is made for a 2824 and it would not work with a 2836, could a DWO work on an eta 2824?  

(The distance from the stem centre opening of the case to the dial mount is 2.2mm which would make it a case for eta 2824)

thanks!!

• Like 1

Yes, its possible, its a tight fit though to squeeze it in there, the TC2824 has the DWO too.

If you have the parts, experience and materials, you can pretty much fabricate a custom dial washer on a lathe.  The TC2824 comes with its own movement holder which aids the DWO placement, and in later TC builds with this movement TC used a paper washer on the leading edge of the movement holder itself.  Without this, you can run the risk of the DWO rubbing the underside go the dial.

• Like 2

8 hours ago, SSTEEL said:

Yes, its possible, its a tight fit though to squeeze it in there, the TC2824 has the DWO too.

If you have the parts, experience and materials, you can pretty much fabricate a custom dial washer on a lathe.  The TC2824 comes with its own movement holder which aids the DWO placement, and in later TC builds with this movement TC used a paper washer on the leading edge of the movement holder itself.  Without this, you can run the risk of the DWO rubbing the underside go the dial.

Many thanks!!!  

So a dial spacer that comes for eta 2836 could not work as a dial washer if it can be sanded down to make it thinner if the problem would be thicknessl????  Or is it possible to buy a TC 2824 movement holder from somewhere as  this is news to me.  Never seen one

Just wondering as It  first time, I would be working with a 2824, being novice with this!

thanks!!!

2 hours ago, SSTEEL said:

A dial spacer from a 2836 would work modified.  A TC movement holder depends on the inner mid-case construction, if its not gen spec it won't fit.

This sounds more interesting than I had imagined and again thanks for your input.  Seems to me that you have done something like this before. What modifications would you recommend apart from my guessing to sand this 2836 spacer?  This is what I like about forums like this, where people improvise & think outside the square.  It is almost like solving a mathematical puzzle.

To clarify what my aim is . A couple of years ago, I was was gifted an Alpha submariner which was a great everyday watch and was even great to swim in because it kept dry.  During day light saving, I stupidly  did not screw down the crown and somehow got water inside corroding the mvt and dial. Even though the watch was inexpensive , the case is still good  and I have a spare eta submariner dial and DWO, but case will only accept 2824    otherwise an eta 2836 would have solved the situation

• Like 1

Yes, I have done it hundreds of times over the years, I'm a service provider in watchmaking as my day job, but unlike most, I do help out the replica watch communities, taking on work on high end replica watches too.

Be aware AOOTime is not a trusted source here.

Wow!!! Very interesting thread!,

I myself have always wanted to know the answer to this, as I have some eta 2824 movements sitting in my draw and had contemplated on fitting a DWO on one of them to fit in cases made for the 2824- but never got round to-them 

I also have a sterile sub (which was also branded as an Alpha) with a seagull mechanism ST2130 which has the equivalent eta2824 or Sellita SW200, so you are correct to say that your case will not accommodate an eta 2836, which is a bummer.

The question remains??

what would be the solution regarding the spacer modifications needed on the spacer made for the eta2836.??

This is a very clever idea which I had never thought of

20 hours ago, imajedi said:

Almost every rolex rep sold uses a 2824, a dial spacer, and a DWO. I probably have an extra one laying around somewhere if you need one I can check.

All my rolex reps  that  I have all have 2836 or clone 2836 apart from one I purchased from another dealer that had a 2834 in it which puzzles me with how this one works as the day wheel is the curved outer one on the .2834

I have never seen a rolex rep with a 2824 which is why I posted this thread in the first place, so that if anyone has ever seen one or pulled theirs apart could hopefully enlighten me with how to go about  what I can do to duplicate  it:bangin:.  I believe that the datewheel spacer that comes with a 2836 is different from one that comes from a 2824,unless I am mistaken which brings me back to where I started before posting this thread. 

Thanks for offering to find one, they are easily available on ebay, however the problem is finding the right one and then what modifications are needed to make it work?.

2836-2 and 2834-2 are pretty much the same movement, both can take Asian GMT parts, and both are favoured for builds with DWO as its much easier to achieve than on a 2824-2 movement.

• 2 months later...

The only issue with using a dial spacer or for that matter a TC movement holder on a 2824-2 is that either increase the distance from the front of the dial to the stem, which in effect puts you back to 2836 stem heights.

TC uses #4 pinions on his 2824's  to counteract this distance increase and keep the hand stack correctly spaced.

He also uses a fairly thic double sided tape to apply his DWO, this allows a degree of clearance between the reverse side of the DWO and date change mechanism. 

This clearance is quite important, as you would struggle with a clean date change without it. 

A 2824-2 does not officially use a dial spacer and are supplied from ETA without. A standard ETA 2824-2 also comes with #2 pinion set up which would be too small in length to mount the hands if you use a dial spacer.

Another way of counteracting the smaller length #2 pinion problem is to use extended tubed hands, basically a standard looking hand with longer tubes on them.

hope this helps