When you buy through links on our site, we may earn an affiliate commission.
  • Current Donation Goals

Best 'Bang for Buck' Panerai?

GetReplicaWatches

Question

There are no silly questions, but sometimes it helps to learn about a watch before you buy. Type "Panerai  daylight" into Google and you will find all about the genuine, which is always a good place to start, then select a reference number or two of models you particularly like and check the TDs websites to see what they sell. Having started looking at the genuine, you will be in a great position to assess how accurate they look. Also once you have a reference number you can search the fora to see what others think of the rep.

I could just say buy model X from dealer Y, but honestly you will enjoy the hobby more if you learn and understand things for yourself. Oh and when you get your lovely new watch, post a wristie ?

• Like 2

3 hours ago, Sogeha said:

There are no silly questions, but sometimes it helps to learn about a watch before you buy. Type "Panerai  daylight" into Google and you will find all about the genuine, which is always a good place to start, then select a reference number or two of models you particularly like and check the TDs websites to see what they sell. Having started looking at the genuine, you will be in a great position to assess how accurate they look. Also once you have a reference number you can search the fora to see what others think of the rep.

I could just say buy model X from dealer Y, but honestly you will enjoy the hobby more if you learn and understand things for yourself. Oh and when you get your lovely new watch, post a wristie ?

So, I was looking at a 'noob factory' Panerai (can't remember the model number) sold by TS Watches. But their website seems to have gone down. Also emailed them and received no response unfortunately.

4 minutes ago, Ssouthall6 said:

Toro has the 356 on offer at the moment, am absolute steal at that price

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

Thanks for the tip mate. Think I've found it on their site. Not sure if I'm allowed to link to specific ones. But is it the "Pam 356O Noob Daylight"? that you were talking about?

• Like 1

Yep that's the one. Some of them have a very slightly wobbly right hand chrono hand which happens on most a7753 movements so check this out on QC just to make sure it only moves slightly. Mine moves ever so slightly and it's unnoticeable. It's a proper super rep otherwise with a decent movement.

25 minutes ago, Ssouthall6 said:

Yep that's the one. Some of them have a very slightly wobbly right hand chrono hand which happens on most a7753 movements so check this out on QC just to make sure it only moves slightly. Mine moves ever so slightly and it's unnoticeable. It's a proper super rep otherwise with a decent movement.

Currently in discussions with Toro via email.

What do you mean by a 'wobbly hand'?

29 minutes ago, Ssouthall6 said:

Sloppy gear train by design, same on the Swiss version. I'll take two pics of it at its most extreme

AHHHH, so you mean the hand doesn't always sit 'flush' on the markers?

So, the equivalent of the minute hand landing half way between 44 and 45 minutes? 

Also looking at getting a box (love the Panerai box). Thinking AOOTime is the best option. Theirs appears to be the same as Toro's, as a fraction of the price

I'm 'umming and ahing' about what model to get. I do like the Daylight. But I do have reasonably small wrists. So not sure if the buttons for the chrono add too much bulk.

Also not sure whether to go black or brown strap. I'll probably get a rubber one too for more 'outdoor' usage.

Mine are around 6.5 in and it fits fine.

If you wanted something a bit smaller the new 682 from xf factory is 42mm, still quite chunky but if you wait a few weeks for the factory to update the lume then that's a potentially great choice.

Otherwise there are lots of other pams on offer currently with loads of the dealers, especially by kw factory, so lots of options for you to consider. I had a h fac 26k that IMO fit my wrist fine. If you think you can pull it off then you can pull it off IMO

1 minute ago, Ssouthall6 said:

Mine are around 6.5 in and it fits fine.

If you wanted something a bit smaller the new 682 from xf factory is 42mm, still quite chunky but if you wait a few weeks for the factory to update the lume then that's a potentially great choice.

Otherwise there are lots of other pams on offer currently with loads of the dealers, especially by kw factory, so lots of options for you to consider. I had a h fac 26k that IMO fit my wrist fine. If you think you can pull it off then you can pull it off IMO emoji1360.png

Awesome!

Does the added complication of the chrono add any issues? I've always gone with the mentality that simpler is perhaps better when it comes to rep movements.

Awesome!

Does the added complication of the chrono add any issues? I've always gone with the mentality that simpler is perhaps better when it comes to rep movements.

For sure. The handwound panerais are generally way more reliable than, for example, an a2836 watch (in my experience). The 6497 is a very nice movement that feels much nicer than a miyota or Asian eta on the wind.

Any chrono watch is going to add a greater risk of failure especially if you use the chrono without knowing how to use it properly (resetting without stopping, using between certain times, etc) - lots of info in the movements section will guide you in this department.

6 minutes ago, Ssouthall6 said:

For sure. The handwound panerais are generally way more reliable than, for example, an a2836 watch (in my experience). The 6497 is a very nice movement that feels much nicer than a miyota or Asian eta on the wind.

Any chrono watch is going to add a greater risk of failure especially if you use the chrono without knowing how to use it properly (resetting without stopping, using between certain times, etc) - lots of info in the movements section will guide you in this department.

Think I'm going to go with the PAM 356 from Toro.

He's also recommended the PAM 111 though

Think I'm going to go with the PAM 356 from Toro.

He's also recommended the PAM 111 though

111 v4 noob is a decent starter watch but you have to have a very sharp eye in QC as more often than not it's old v3's they are trying to get rid of.

5 minutes ago, Ssouthall6 said:

111 v4 noob is a decent starter watch but you have to have a very sharp eye in QC as more often than not it's old v3's they are trying to get rid of.

The 356 is cheaper anyway (the one you recommended). So I think I'll go with that!

Spoke to Perfect clones, and the only one they have in stock is a steel bracelet one. Which is slightly cheaper. But I just don't like a Panerai on steel bracelets.

• Like 1

I actually don't really know so much about panerai, just the models that I know. I don't know if the mods would be happy with me linking it but there is a fantastic guide put together by ALE over on RWI which would tell you all you need to know.

The 356 is cheaper anyway (the one you recommended). So I think I'll go with that!

Spoke to Perfect clones, and the only one they have in stock is a steel bracelet one. Which is slightly cheaper. But I just don't like a Panerai on steel bracelets.

Well how about when it arrives I'll buy your steel bracelet and you can buy my rubber strap!