When you buy through links on our site, we may earn an affiliate commission.
  • Current Donation Goals

Where can I find the best GMT 1675 and Sub 5513??

Martin van den Berg

Question

6 answers to this question

Welcome to the forum. Lots of us have used Trusty, he is a trusted dealer here. 

I would highly recommend you do some reading on the Rolex subsection about the watches you are interested in. The 5513, well there are some pretty good replicas, in fact I'm wearing a Cartel version right now. 1675, there really isn't a great option unless you spend serious money I'm afraid. As for a Daytona the vintage 6263 and current 116500 are available as pretty good reps. I would go for the 116500 with the frozen hand on the sub dial at six because the thickness is as genuine. These things are always a matter of personal opinion though.

• Like 1

It will naturally depend on your budget. Generally the watches off the shelf from the trusted dealers all need modding. Modding can be a fun and frustrating experience, if you don't want to tackle the task yourself there are some very talented modders on the forum to help you. Alternatively keep an eye on the members sales section or start a "want to buy" thread. Decent watches do crop up. Profiteering is frowned upon so you could pick up a decent watch at a lot less than it would cost to buy new and mod.

• Like 1

Your best 5513 will be built by a member of yourself.  Case wise, I find Phong or his son Jensen makes the best case.  You can go aftermarket crystal.  Dials also phong.  In fact you can have phong build you a full 5513.  I went with Mike here, (Misiekped).  I got the parts and he put it together.  Got a Rolex dial from star time that was aged in its own wax bag the patina is out of this world, and Mike had the Rolex hands the right patina.  (If you need anything Rolex Misiekped is your man)  He serviced the 1520 and I got the case from Phong.  I just got the outer case.  I found a case back on Ebay for a lot but it adds to its character.  I got a bracelet from Ebay with a VD band.  I found a bezel and crystal ring on TRF.  I got a new crystal on TRF.  The insert came with the real bezel.  Mike dyed the peal to match.  The final watch is breath taking.  It is in every way a Rolex minus the case.  LOL.  If only a real case would come up.  I see ones on EBAY and while I have brought 3 cases on Ebay all ended up being real, these are so hard to tell.  The metal Rolex used back then was not 904. And there are so many good copies out there.  

I guess my point is to do it yourself.  Sourcing if the funnest part.  Then to actually build it is fun and a skill I am happy to have learned.  Keep us up to date with which way you went.  But if you need a turn key one, Phong makes an ETA version and a Real Rolex movement version.  

Rob

IMG_1590.JPG

IMG_2132.jpg

IMG_2122.JPG

IMG_2124.jpg

• Like 1

Also look at www.vintagewatchmaker.com which is his son Jensen. Sometimes the prices and special offers vary a little

Be sat down when you look at the prices, which incidentally you can on Phong's site by clicking the blue +shipping text, even f you are not registered