When you buy through links on our site, we may earn an affiliate commission.
  • Current Donation Goals

Rolex 6538 - Beginner treat

rolojack

Here is what can be done without a single expensive part: Silx case, HR dial and hands, Athaya crown and Yuki bracelet. The case was totally reshaped, the steel bezel was reshaped, then sandblasted and brass plated. The hands were stripped down to the bear brass and the Yuki bracelet was repolished for a more accurate look. A very honest watch with lots of character !!!!

P1330689.JPG

P1330690.JPG

P1330691.JPG

P1330692.JPG

P1330693.JPG

P1330694.JPG

P1330695.JPG

P1330696.JPG

P1330697.JPG

P1330698.JPG

P1330699.JPG

P1330700.JPG

P1330701.JPG

P1330702.JPG

P1330703.JPG

P1330704.JPG

P1330705.JPG

P1330706.JPG

• Like 6

Fantastic result!! Now let's take it a step further.

As "polished" as the case looks, it's had lots of wear, right? So get some Flitz metal polishing paste and work that band over to get the "new" look off it.

Now see how close the crown is to the bezel? My Silix build was just like that. Get some JB Weld, pull that tube, and fill the divot in the case where the tube goes in, to bring it up level with the curved case side. Then shape it and tap it for the tube threads. When you put the tube back in it can allow you to leave it proud of the case enough to make a believable gap between the crown and bezel that really looks tasty.

This is a fantastic example of what a gorgeous piece you can make without mortgaging the dog. Well done!

• Like 1

23 hours ago, Nanuq said:

Fantastic result!! Now let's take it a step further.

As "polished" as the case looks, it's had lots of wear, right? So get some Flitz metal polishing paste and work that band over to get the "new" look off it.

Now see how close the crown is to the bezel? My Silix build was just like that. Get some JB Weld, pull that tube, and fill the divot in the case where the tube goes in, to bring it up level with the curved case side. Then shape it and tap it for the tube threads. When you put the tube back in it can allow you to leave it proud of the case enough to make a believable gap between the crown and bezel that really looks tasty.

This is a fantastic example of what a gorgeous piece you can make without mortgaging the dog. Well done!

Thanks for you imput ! Very interesting about the crown. The bracelet was used by the way. I refinished it together with the case with the intent to give the overall a freshly RSC serviced look. That was the intent. Wear will come with use.

^^^Stainless steel takes on that bronze colour with heat. If you search you will find people have done it a few ways, the most common being to remove the bezel and let the flame from a blow torch lick over it, watching carefully for the colour desired. Be careful you don't warp the bezel^^^

6 hours ago, daniel10n said:

May I ask how you get that bronze Color on the bezel?

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

It is brass plated. Really brass plated, no tricks.

1 hour ago, Sogeha said:

^^^Stainless steel takes on that bronze colour with heat. If you search you will find people have done it a few ways, the most common being to remove the bezel and let the flame from a blow torch lick over it, watching carefully for the colour desired. Be careful you don't warp the bezel^^^

You won't have that result mate... Color won't be even and it won't be matte like that. You need plating to achieve this effect.

If anyone needs a steel bezel brass plated with that dusty used finish, PM me. Cheers!!!

4 hours ago, Sogeha said:

Beautiful, thanks!

• 4 weeks later...

I did a similar thing on my silix bezel, I don't have the necessary skills to re shape the bezel but my brass plating turned out ok
20170605_115241_zpsqgz4cjxe.jpg
My case work is obviously not as good as rolojack's but I'm happy with how my watch turned out

Sent from my SM-G928F using Tapatalk

• 1 month later...