When you buy through links on our site, we may earn an affiliate commission.
  • Current Donation Goals

Best AP Royal Oak 15400?

So, I can remember joining the rep world and asking the same question everyone asks " What is the best Rolex Sub?" Well, It's been a while since those days and now I'm asking a similar question for a different watch and model, the AP 15400. The AP 15400 has me obsessed.  
I am considering this one: https://puretime03.com/royal-oak-41mm-15400-ss-jf-11-best-edition-black-dial-on-ss-bracelet-a3120.html#

Is this the best 15400 rep yet? any recommendations? Any major flaws? 

I've read a bunch on here and seen the comparisons but not much since April 2016 on this topic. I see JF is the best, but is this a newer JF?

I know that thickness has been an issue, and that kind of bothers me. It reads 10.5 but I'm being told its actually 10, which would be fantastic because the gen is 9.8. 

Let me know!

• Like 1

I can't really remember since it's been a few months since I ordered my 15400, but I think that is the AP 15400 JF V2. I think when I ordered mine that was the best one...

So I'm pretty sure that one is good. On the wrist the thickness doesn't really bother me. The watch definitely benefits from a 2xAR crystal, I would say that's the only required mod to it.

If you order, make sure you ask the dealer to get you one with straight indices, and don't hesitate to be stingy about it. I accepted one with a sliiiiightly crooked 6 o'clock marker and it bugs me a bit. Oh well. Crooked markers and logos are the biggest issues with these.

9 hours ago, Revere said:

I can't really remember since it's been a few months since I ordered my 15400, but I think that is the AP 15400 JF V2. I think when I ordered mine that was the best one...

So I'm pretty sure that one is good. On the wrist the thickness doesn't really bother me. The watch definitely benefits from a 2xAR crystal, I would say that's the only required mod to it.

If you order, make sure you ask the dealer to get you one with straight indices, and don't hesitate to be stingy about it. I accepted one with a sliiiiightly crooked 6 o'clock marker and it bugs me a bit. Oh well. Crooked markers and logos are the biggest issues with these.

Thanks Revere, I appreciate your input. I will be sure to keep an eye out for the straightness of the indices and logo in the QA pics. 

Does the Miyota 9015 movement in your AP RO make a lot of noise ?  Or is it relatively quiet? 

7 hours ago, GWP123 said:

Thanks Revere, I appreciate your input. I will be sure to keep an eye out for the straightness of the indices and logo in the QA pics. 

Does the Miyota 9015 movement in your AP RO make a lot of noise ?  Or is it relatively quiet? 

No problem, happy to help. It occasionally makes a small bit of noise but not to the point that I regularly notice it while on the wrist. 

The noise is mostly due to the fact that the 9015 rotor freewheels in one direction and winds in the other. There are "mods" that basically saturate the auto-wind mechanism in oil in order to keep them from being noisy. I really strongly recommend against that; that's a great way of ruining your movement, dial, and hands. 

• Like 1

Just now, Revere said:

No problem, happy to help. It occasionally makes a small bit of noise but not to the point that I regularly notice it while on the wrist. 

The noise is mostly due to the fact that the 9015 rotor freewheels in one direction and winds in the other. There are "mods" that basically saturate the auto-wind mechanism in oil in order to keep them from being noisy. I really strongly recommend against that; that's a great way of ruining your movement, dial, and hands. 

Thanks! Very Helpful info!

• Like 1

On 5/10/2017 at 10:36 PM, GWP123 said:

Thanks! Very Helpful info!

On 5/10/2017 at 4:12 PM, Revere said:

Just ordered from Angus!  He said the thickness is now 10mm? so only .2mm off? So that should be pretty good. I asked that they ensure the logo and indices are straight and aligned, as you recommended. so looking forward to soon joining the AP fan club!

• Like 1

On 5/12/2017 at 3:19 PM, GWP123 said:

Just ordered from Angus!  He said the thickness is now 10mm? so only .2mm off? So that should be pretty good. I asked that they ensure the logo and indices are straight and aligned, as you recommended. so looking forward to soon joining the AP fan club!

Nice! post pics when you get it, I'm not sure what the rules are on asking for QC pic verification on RWG but happy to help via PM if you would like it

On 5/14/2017 at 1:28 PM, Revere said:

Nice! post pics when you get it, I'm not sure what the rules are on asking for QC pic verification on RWG but happy to help via PM if you would like it

Hey Revere, I just got the QC pics! Would you mind reviewing and giving me your opinion? 

IMG_0045.JPG

IMG_0039.JPG

IMG_0324.jpg

IMG_0325 (1).jpg

IMG_0326 (1).jpg

IMG_0322 (1).jpg

IMG_0321.jpg

IMG_0329.jpg

IMG_0328.jpg

IMG_0327.jpg

Here are some close ups on the dial...is the change in pattern normal ? or is that just a trick of the camera or an error you think? 

close up1.png

closeup2.png

Change in pattern is definitely normal, it's not a "gen" tapisserie so the pattern can look a little funny. That's a macro shot, it'll look far better in person.

Anyways,

that dial looks pretty good. the rest of the watch is fine as well. The 12" indices are a little closer at the top than at the bottom, but that is extremely minute, and likely not worth rejecting QC for. Up to you. :)

4 hours ago, Revere said:

Change in pattern is definitely normal, it's not a "gen" tapisserie so the pattern can look a little funny. That's a macro shot, it'll look far better in person.

Anyways,

that dial looks pretty good. the rest of the watch is fine as well. The 12" indices are a little closer at the top than at the bottom, but that is extremely minute, and likely not worth rejecting QC for. Up to you. :)

Thanks for the analysis!   I think I found out whats going on with the 12 indices...it isn't the right not being straight, but its the alignment with the boxes of the grande tapisarie dial. The left indices covers the boxes pretty flush, the right indices shows some boxes on the right. Check out the pic. Do you think I could do better ? Or are they all like this you think? 

Also, I'm being told this is 10mm, only .2 away from the gen thickness...but it sure looks a lot thicker in the pics...hmm..thoughts?

indicesalignment.JPG

4 hours ago, GWP123 said:

Thanks for the analysis!   I think I found out whats going on with the 12 indices...it isn't the right not being straight, but its the alignment with the boxes of the grande tapisarie dial. The left indices covers the boxes pretty flush, the right indices shows some boxes on the right. Check out the pic. Do you think I could do better ? Or are they all like this you think? 

Also, I'm being told this is 10mm, only .2 away from the gen thickness...but it sure looks a lot thicker in the pics...hmm..thoughts?

I just looked at mine; a little boxes are showing on the left side of mine. You really can't tell unless you hold it right up to your eyes. I am kind of anal about these sorts of "defects," so if I can't tell, I think you are safe!

I think the thickness is just fine. You caught me on a day where I wore mine, and I took a photo (attached). I am very happy with the thickness of the watch. 

Screen Shot 2017-05-18 at 8.25.55 AM.png

8 hours ago, Revere said:

I just looked at mine; a little boxes are showing on the left side of mine. You really can't tell unless you hold it right up to your eyes. I am kind of anal about these sorts of "defects," so if I can't tell, I think you are safe!

I think the thickness is just fine. You caught me on a day where I wore mine, and I took a photo (attached). I am very happy with the thickness of the watch. 

Screen Shot 2017-05-18 at 8.25.55 AM.png

The bracelet really is the best part ! What color dial do you have? 

See, I'm hoping it's just the upclose pic but that looks wayyy thicker than the gen, doesn't it ? I'm hoping the thickness is better in person 

On 5/14/2017 at 1:28 PM, Revere said:

Just got the AP! I'm still a little unsure about the thickness... I've never held the Gen, but from pictures gen seems to sit flush on the wrist. I'm just wondering if this is a big give away... I don't have a caliper to measure...

Big question: how do I remove links??? I removed the screws but nothing comes off. Is there a trick? 

I will post pics soon! 

Anyone who knows enough about the watch to tell that it is too thick will also be able to tell the tapisserie pattern on the dial is non-gen. I would really not worry about the thickness. 

Unscrewing the screws and then tugging on the links slightly ought to do it. 

1 hour ago, Revere said:

Anyone who knows enough about the watch to tell that it is too thick will also be able to tell the tapisserie pattern on the dial is non-gen. I would really not worry about the thickness. 

Unscrewing the screws and then tugging on the links slightly ought to do it. 

Fair enough.. I keep forgetting these are reps we are talking about Lol. 

The screws are pretty shallow... is there a tube they screw into? Or anything I need to do on the other side of the link? I've been pulling gently, and not so gently, and it won't disconnect. 

Totally agree. I know a ton of watch guys. I know precisely one person with the gen of this watch, Unlike a Rolex most people, even most watch enthusiasts won't really be familiar with the model and those that are could probably call it out whatever you did to it

On 5/10/2017 at 9:52 AM, GWP123 said:

So, I can remember joining the rep world and asking the same question everyone asks " What is the best Rolex Sub?" Well, It's been a while since those days and now I'm asking a similar question for a different watch and model, the AP 15400. The AP 15400 has me obsessed.  
I am considering this one: https://puretime03.com/royal-oak-41mm-15400-ss-jf-11-best-edition-black-dial-on-ss-bracelet-a3120.html#

Is this the best 15400 rep yet? any recommendations? Any major flaws? 

I've read a bunch on here and seen the comparisons but not much since April 2016 on this topic. I see JF is the best, but is this a newer JF?

I know that thickness has been an issue, and that kind of bothers me. It reads 10.5 but I'm being told its actually 10, which would be fantastic because the gen is 9.8. 

Let me know!

For the 15400 rep, it is generally very well done, and one of very good quality to be honest.

The thickness would not be an issue on the wrist, as a salient portion of the extra thickness comes from the caseback and most of the time, this is just not noticeable on the wrist. The thickness is apparent when the watch isn't worn, and placed side by side vs the gen, on the table for example. 

The only real issue with the replica, in my opinion, is the datewheel font. I would prefer an A2824 movement transplanted to the watch, and by doing so, aftermarket datewheels like Edge's or the omega datewheel can be used. 

The JF V2 15400 is an excellent choice and currently the best on the market in terms of case construction and finish, which is mostly what this watch is about. 

• Like 3

• 5 weeks later...

I have JF 15400 RG but never worn it since it has very cheap and lousy rotor noise. I bought it around 8-10 month ago from TD. So I think that it's V2. Do you guys have any problem with rotor sound? I wish it could come with A2824. I don't think JF will do it soon.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk