When you buy through links on our site, we may earn an affiliate commission.
  • Current Donation Goals

Patek Philippe 530 Chronograph... Now we're talking!

rolojack

I have too much respect for the brand to do anything cheap. So: my build had to be the best possible within a reasonable budget. Not knock off quartz signed PP. Not for me.

So, to create that 530 Chrono specially cased in white gold for Garrard of London, I used a genuine 1940's swiss made solid gold chronograph, modified the case to PP looks and installed one of these beautiful cartel dials. It took a year to find the correct donor watch - this case was number 4... - but it was worth the hunt !!!!

Enjoy the pics !

P1330780.JPG

P1330781.JPG

P1330782.JPG

P1330783.JPG

P1330784.JPG

P1330787.JPG

P1330788.JPG

P1330789.JPG

P1330790.JPG

P1330792.JPG

• Like 6

Gents,

Hope all are doing well! Always great to see old friends on the forum! Missed you guys!

rolo- I currently have a Plain Jane V23 fitted; at some point, I still need to get it converted to 13-130 specs. Always something to do, and that project just keeps getting put off  :huh:  The diameter of my case is a little over 35mm...

34301926585_aeecc98b90_c.jpg

I think these old 1940s watches just fit so nicely on the wrist... Elegant, charming, perhaps a bit understated and yet... When someone knows what you have on your wrist, they know what you have on your wrist!

^_^

6 hours ago, Sogeha said:

we need to find a way to get him stop playing with Porches and start building watches again.

Haha... I will admit, the 911 is a lot of fun! But... You can't wear a car on the wrist. I think that's what I love about watches... They're with you wherever you wear them; just one of those little joys in life where you can glance down at your wrist and have a reason to smile  :)

• Like 2

On 11/05/2017 at 9:19 AM, Sogeha said:

@rolojack if you are not familiar with them, it's well worth having a read through Ubi's old posts. 

I just dug up this one for starters.

we need to find a way to get him stop playing with Porches and start building watches again.

I'd love to see... Unfortunately the pics are gone. So: the cases are full custom made? Or from Vietnam? Or a modified small swiss brand case like mine?

My 530 is 37mm by the way... Same as the originals whose sizes range from 36,5 to 37 depending on the case versions if I got my information right.

• 2 weeks later...
  • 2 weeks later...
On 23/05/2017 at 1:41 PM, ubiquitous said:

The dials in my watches are 100% genuine/original/authentic 1940's Patek Philippe; champlevé enamel dials.

Magnificent !!! I'm light years aways from that level.... Very humble builds really.... That gives even more value to your kind appreciation of my work.

• 2 weeks later...

I reiterate my comments from the VC thread. RJ I really hope that you continue to work on these vintage chronos, it is so rare to see anyone doing these kinds of projects.

The case looks like it was made to fit the dial by the original manufacturer!

Hopefully you have more in the pipeline as I love to see the results.

Keep up the good work Sir.

• 3 weeks later...

I'm more into modern divers, but the watches being built in this thread could easily sway me towards something like these. Keep up the fantastic work guys. 

• 5 months later...