When you buy through links on our site, we may earn an affiliate commission.
  • Current Donation Goals

An explorer 1016, my first build!

rm1406

Hi all,
My first post, and my first build, it's been a little while in the making, but I think it came together nicely. It's a fairly standard build from what I've gathered, here are the specs:

JMB case (+ engravings)
Clark's tudor hands
gen spec tube
gen 1601 crown
whoopy dial (lumed by Everest Watchworks)
a2824-2 movement
WSO 455b endlinks
tiger concept bracelet (not great, but okay for now, will replace later perhaps)

I was having a hell of a time centering the dial, as the dial seat in the new JMB cases measures 29.2, and the whoopy dial is gen spec 28mm. That extra millimeter is a pain. I cut some shims out of a razorblade and wedged those in between the case and movement spacer, and by my eye the dial is mostly centered at this point. It's been bugging me, though (maybe I just need to get over that) and I'm thinking about upgrading to a gen 160XX case for a dial seat that fits the dial properly so I don't have to mess with the shims ever again...

I have a gen eta 2846 that I purchased, but I missed a 16014 midcase that was in great shape on the bay, I was waffling on pulling the trigger due to price. Oh well. The 2846 may yet go into a 7928 build.

Big thanks to JMB for putting up with all my noobie questions, and of course LHOOQ, for all the 1016 threads, without which I couldn't have put this together. Also, to Kent at Everest Watchworks for the amazing lume work. Lastly to the rwg community, for a wealth of information to learn from.

Now, pictures!

1016-3.jpg

1016-4.jpg

1016-1.jpg

1016-2.jpg

1016-5.jpg

Edited by rm1406
  • Like 1

Glad to see it turned out so nice!  Congrats on a super job and great first build.

Yes, the additional "dial seat" room is kind of a pain but unfortunately such is the world of rep parts.  When I first started using these cases the dial seat was around 28.5mm, IIRC.  Over the years they've slowly creeped larger and larger - I suppose this is to easily accommodate the wide variance in rep dial diameter.  I voice my complaints when they first got to 29mm but just received a "sorry" this is what is now available.  I was told he could get special runs made but I would have to pay up front for a 500 piece minimum.  I told him I didn't think I'd live long enough to go through that many cases... :p

Thanks everyone!

JMB - I'm not so sure you couldn't sell through 500 cases, I'd (try to) be first in line if the case makers decide to go back to the 28.5mm seat. Other than the dial seat, the case is fantastic. I've been wavering back and forth about trying to drum up a 16014 case because I feel like it'd be a step down in that regard, especially for the going price.

Are yuki's dials actually 29mm these days? They're listed on the site as 28.5, but I wonder.

I am itching to do something with the 2846 I received, and am thinking about doing cheap-o tudor 7924 with a tiger concept big crown and raffles dial I have lying around to try my hand at vintaging.

Gee, almost like a family reunion! :)

rm - I'm getting old, I doubt I have time left to even use a small portion of them!  The last Yuki "Rolex" Explorer dial I used still seemed gen-spec but they also have one with ETA feet.  I would suspect it to be the same dial 'cept for different feet location.

- vibes and hayden: those are both fantastic looking 1016's, would either of you mind providing specs? I always like to see what others have used.

mano- Cost was $142.50 to strip and lume the hands, and lume the dial. I can't recommend Kent enough. He's provided lume service for plenty of 1016s (both gen and franken), and I couldn't be more pleased. I can't find the lume shot he sent me, but his work is really top notch. He was patient and worked with me to find the "light" vintage that I was looking for.

Also, I found a better shot (from Kent) of the watch head before he sent it back.

1016_light_vintage_1.jpg

Edited by rm1406
whoops, picture.

Recipe:

swiss 2824 soon to be a slow beat 2824 with all date parts removed 

bracelet from Yuki modded for 2mm bars

WSO endlinks reshaped

spring bars that were in that thread a while back

whoopy dial

HR hands with tapered second hand 

Both lumed by whoopy 

JMB MKII case polished by me

Gen crown

A decent bracelet is the tough part. The yuki bracelet is too thick and heavy, a gen 7536 is way too expensive, the Watch international one needs to be heavily modded. Gen is really the best option at $800+. Decent springbars make a huge difference

1 hour ago, tomhorn said:

I used Mary's 7836, and thought it was quite good for the money. The end links fit my gen 16014 case surprisingly well.

The last link where it meets the endink is incorrect though. She didn't send me endlinks. 

Mary left, yuki right

IMG_2605.JPG

- vibes and hayden: those are both fantastic looking 1016's, would either of you mind providing specs? I always like to see what others have used.

mano- Cost was $142.50 to strip and lume the hands, and lume the dial. I can't recommend Kent enough. He's provided lume service for plenty of 1016s (both gen and franken), and I couldn't be more pleased. I can't find the lume shot he sent me, but his work is really top notch. He was patient and worked with me to find the "light" vintage that I was looking for.

Also, I found a better shot (from Kent) of the watch head before he sent it back.
1016_light_vintage_1.thumb.jpg.49762fe8db7e8e89bb035980cc0559dd.jpg

Hey mate,

My 1016 was made a while back and relatively on the "cheap"

It used:
- A jmb original case set (case, caseback, crystal, crown etc.)
- yuki dial
- predominately you hands (was my first build and I managed to destroy at least one hand in the learning process.
- yuki bracelet

Think that's it. Was a good learning project and I've worn the hell out of it since.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

... mano- Cost was $142.50 to strip and lume the hands, and lume the dial. I can't recommend Kent enough. He's provided lume service for plenty of 1016s (both gen and franken), and I couldn't be more pleased. I can't find the lume shot he sent me, but his work is really top notch. He was patient and worked with me to find the "light" vintage that I was looking for ...

Kent did a wonderfull job and considering the quality $142.50 is a very fair price IMHO.

Do you know if he works on rep dials ?
I have a DIY 6249 Commando dial and I'm quite certain my skills are far to low to lume that one correctly.

0bbb3e2b520d723be8d06eb5980d462e.jpg

Envoyé de mon XT1068 en utilisant Tapatalk

Stupid me I think, cause Whoopy dials are REPs ... aren't they ?

He does, unless he's changed his policy since I sent him my dial. If you search for everest watchworks his site should come up. He gave me a pretty good estimate of how long it would take (just over a week from when the watch was received), and once I confirmed he had the watch, I left him alone until he e-mailed me with QC pictures. Further support of his work and reliability here from more reputable members than myself:

That commando dial is a rarity, don't see to many of those about. Wasn't that watch originally a 34mm case, and hand wound? Looking forward to seeing the finished product...

11 hours ago, rm1406 said:
He does, unless he's changed his policy since I sent him my dial. If you search for everest watchworks his site should come up. He gave me a pretty good estimate of how long it would take (just over a week from when the watch was received), and once I confirmed he had the watch, I left him alone until he e-mailed me with QC pictures. Further support of his work and reliability here from more reputable members than myself ...
That commando dial is a rarity, don't see to many of those about. Wasn't that watch originally a 34mm case, and hand wound? Looking forward to seeing the finished product...

Thanks for the feedback ... I'll ask Ken to quote me the lumework.

About the 6249 dial rarity I would say YES !!!
That watch was, as far as I know, sort of a stripped handwind 34mm Explorer I.
I'll use that one as a start watch ... or probably it's twin sister because since I received it I really enjoy wearing it.
I'll have to rework the cade and bezel and pop the cyclop off.

5b292ce32fcc5f94c2b4bca1fe15500a.jpg

I'm still trying to source a correct (an affordable) handset but it seems very difficult to get baton hands the same lenght and width as Commando hands.
So if anybody has an idea just fell free to PM me

Edited by manodeoro