When you buy through links on our site, we may earn an affiliate commission.
  • Current Donation Goals

Is is pathetic that a few grand would completely change my life?

tyrantblade

I've been rich and I've been poor. Rich is more comfortable I agree, but happiness comes from within and money really doesn't help that as much as one might think. Many, perhaps most people are facing tough times financially at the moment. You know we support you, but speak truthfully, I agree that you should seek help and support again.

• Like 2

Likewise, I too were once rich when I had my own company, but with that came huge responsibilities, which were life and death scenarios due to the nature of my business, teams climbing radio towers up to 100m tall.

I have also been poor, and had to manage day by day.

Money doesn't buy your happiness mate, now whilst I'm no longer poor, I have a job I enjoy, I'm my own boss, work my own hours, days, married, and very happy, life is no rehearsal mate, so make the most out of your life, you only have the one, as you get older you cherish it more and more.

Don't set your targets too high for the future, little steps, changes, lead to great strides.

• Like 2

I've found that people who never have enough, are the ones that treasure more what they do have. That can be as simple as a true friend and an honest mate.

I've starved for days on end, and a simple loaf of bread was a treasure.

I've yearned for just a little bigger paycheck, and found it made no difference at the end of the month.

We are guaranteed today, and that's all. The most precious thing we have is time. Spend it carefully.

• Like 3

Where-as I cannot claim to ever being rich I was earning $120K+ with my own company before my back went 10 years ago, I then dropped to $20K a year work cover.

At that point you need to make tough decisions, my wife and I have learned to live with less and we have recently celebrated 20 years of Happy marriage.

The lack of money can define you if you let it or it can make you more determined to live a good life, you say having money would make you dump your alcohol for a better life...what if dumping your alcohol will in fact give you a better life?

Ken

• Like 4

You ain't gonna a find a way out of that in a bottle fluffy. Get to school my friend increase your earning potential and you aren't to old I did it a 48 took, 3.5 years of running around trying to keep up with kids less than half my age best thing I ever did.

• Like 1

We spend too much time looking at those much wealthier than ourselves and telling ourselves what a miserable life we have. We should spend more time looking at those worse off than us and telling ourselves how lucky we are.

If you can afford to buy alcohol and spend on a game console, you have something to be very grateful for. There are people in the World who can barely conceive of having that much spare cash.

Yesterday I was grocery shopping and as I walked through the mall, I saw Costa and decided on whim to get a coffee. I didn't want a cake or anything, but as I sat there with my coffee it occurred to me I hadn't even considered the cost. I have enough money to get a cup of coffee from a coffee shop and a cake if I want and not worry. There have been times in my life when thinking about a coffee break meant agonising over the financial implications and realising I couldn't afford. It's a very small and inconsequential thing, but I sat in Costa yesterday feeling rather pleased with my life.

I have been poor enough to struggle. I have never been so poor I couldn't eat or have a warm place to sleep, so even then I was rather lucky really. I've gone hungry and slept outside either because I made poor lifestyle decisions, often involving large amounts of alcohol or because I was outside miles and miles from civilisation.

• Like 3

I am happy in my life because i have a wonderful wife and two beautiful children, and they are in a good health, that's all :pray:

I was rich 10 years ago, i am currently poor and it doesn't matter....but if i could get more watches maybe...:blush:

• Like 2

Money will never buy happiness........the saying has a lot of depth it comes from inside you, your thoughts your insight, the guys above are right money does indeed make life easier in some ways but with that comes responsibility too to yourself or family a work force etc etc, aim for a little better each day and always always look for the positives in your daily life first thing I'm always thankful for is waking up each morning! Life is what you make it and first thing id do is drop the drink, that is your first positive step toward a better life ....... stay lucky

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

• Like 1

I just saw another post you started previously, and several similar replies. I'm not sure if you are for real, or shining people on. If you did decide to make a meeting, would find that you are not different from everyone else. Unfortunately, there are also a lot of war stories and embellishments that cloud the healing process sometimes. You can go and listen and remain silent. I'm betting you wouldn't be able to. Sounds like a perfect fit. Best of luck with whatever you choose.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

• Like 1

It's doubtful I'll ever do AA, but I won't be buying any alcohol for a few months while I can barely pay my bills and afford to eat at the moment  (I'm not gonna starve or be out on the street, just a huge ($1600, which is huge for me) credit card bill that will take months to pay, with nothing else to sell).

I can only hope (and ask the supervisors for) some overtime and with luck I'll be working every Friday for the next month (Saturday too if possible, but unlikely).

Best advice I can give you is this. Either head to your local library or find a way to buy this book used, if you can't afford to buy it new right now.

Shut Up, Stop Whining and Get a Life, by Larry Winget

https://www.amazon.com/gp/product/1118024516/

Don't be turned off by the title (I actually bought it because of the title, but that's just me). It's a kick a$$ book, not a self-help book. If you read it thoroughly and take it to heart, it will change your life. Trust me, I know.

I first read it several years ago when I was feeling very defeated in life. I had recently lost a job I was great at, was functionally underemployed, had ballooned up in weight, had a big house I was struggling to make payments on (and was underwater on the mortgage, so couldn't sell), and was burning through the last of my available capital despite living as frugally as I could.

It honestly saved me at a pretty rough point in my life. It got me to get my head back on straight and get moving again. I re-read it anytime I feel like my head's not where it should be.

Good luck!

Dont fall into the alcohol trap if you haven't already. AA, books, advice, none of it helped me- I just said enough and helped myself. Being/getting sober was the best decision I've ever made and it is not as hard as all of the info, support groups and "advice" make it sound.

You aren't struggling alone, most people seem to be. I wish you all the best.

Reading through these replies really brings it home to me that we always think others are living happy lives due to appearances. We all struggle in life, with some struggling a lot more than others. The answers in this thread are really the key to satisfaction in life. Read through them brother and take them on board, I know I will. Stay blessed and good luck in your journey.

Sent from my SM-G935F using Tapatalk

I appreciate all the responses and will stop drinking (at least for a while), just wish I had some extra money right now to catch up on my credit card, my life is not normally super hard.

But I don't always have a good perspective on things, and it's gonna be hard for a while to play catch-up on my credit card while bills keep coming in and the household is down $400 a month.

This is what happens when everyone is supposed to contribute to the bills and 1 person had to be irresponsible, miss too much work, and get fired (then won't be back to work for a while due to waiting on an appointment to get his tonsils removed).

Not trying for sympathy points as this is really my situation and I'm not asking for anything as that would not be right, just thought some of you would like insight into why I am feeling how I am lately.

Thanks for your candor, it's great to just be open and "yourself" so we can get to know the real you.

I know I'm not you, but if I had a roommate that slacked and lost his job I wouldn't be as kind as you, letting him not chip in toward the bills because he's .... waiting for a tonsils appointment? Did I hear that right?

Point him and a lawnmower toward the neighbor houses and tell him to go earn his rent while he waits.

But that's just me.... ;)

19 minutes ago, Nanuq said:

Thanks for your candor, it's great to just be open and "yourself" so we can get to know the real you.

I know I'm not you, but if I had a roommate that slacked and lost his job I wouldn't be as kind as you, letting him not chip in toward the bills because he's .... waiting for a tonsils appointment? Did I hear that right?

Point him and a lawnmower toward the neighbor houses and tell him to go earn his rent while he waits.

But that's just me.... ;)

Well we are all family in this house and try to help out.

I just wish he (my younger brother) would have been more responsible.

I try to influence him to do better, but you can only do so much (especially since he was often not home and was hanging out with one of his friends too much; instead of being home)

I bet you have a lot more influence with him than you realize. This is a great opportunity for you to try different ways to get him to step up. Usually when you make the right moves people around you will too, maybe you can turn his path a little more toward responsible behavior by being a little more responsible yourself? Small changes are the ones that last, so start today and see what small change you can bring about. You might surprise both yourself and him! Good luck.