When you buy through links on our site, we may earn an affiliate commission.
  • Current Donation Goals

Is is pathetic that a few grand would completely change my life?

tyrantblade

4 minutes ago, Nanuq said:

I bet you have a lot more influence with him than you realize. This is a great opportunity for you to try different ways to get him to step up. Usually when you make the right moves people around you will too, maybe you can turn his path a little more toward responsible behavior by being a little more responsible yourself? Small changes are the ones that last, so start today and see what small change you can bring about. You might surprise both yourself and him! Good luck.

Not quite sure what you mean, he's closer to an alcoholic than I am, often drinking during the day time and saying he's needs to drink to sleep good.

Plus I have missed on average less than 1 day per year (besides the 1 week per year that i take off for a short vacation) at this job I have.

And I even used to work almost 70 hours weeks half of every months for a couple years (2 weeks on, 2 weeks off (by which I mean 40 hours))

See there's your good example. Keep working hard and show him you expect nothing less from your own flesh and blood. Brothers have an amazing ability to raise each other up. By your actions you're setting the tone for him to measure up to. Be strong and be consistent.

• 3 weeks later...
On 5/23/2017 at 4:01 AM, Nanuq said:

See there's your good example. Keep working hard and show him you expect nothing less from your own flesh and blood. Brothers have an amazing ability to raise each other up. By your actions you're setting the tone for him to measure up to. Be strong and be consistent.

Wishful thinking but he will go out and buy alcohol if he has money either way; so it doesn't matter if I drink or not (which I haven't been since 3 or 4 weeks ago)

The only thing getting me ahead (slowly) is working an extra 10 hours every Friday  (since I get my 40 in Monday through Thursday).

It's ambition to do better that gets us anywhere in life.  It puts shoes on our kids and it helps our neighbor.  It's worth it.  Me?  I have my 40 hours in before Weds dinner every week.  60 hour weeks are normal.  I bet I'm nowhere near the minority here either.

Where is your gaze focused?  How far ahead?  Get used to looking further out and see what that does to your day-to-day habits.

As long as it doesn't make you cranky and bitter, good solid hard WORK is good for the soul.

Somebody said that it couldn’t be done,
    But, he with a chuckle replied
That "maybe it couldn’t," but he would be one
    Who wouldn’t say so till he’d tried.
So he buckled right in with the trace of a grin
    On his face. If he worried he hid it.
He started to sing as he tackled the thing
    That couldn’t be done, and he did it.

Somebody scoffed: "Oh, you’ll never do that;
    At least no one ever has done it";
But he took off his coat and he took off his hat,
    And the first thing we knew he’d begun it.
With a lift of his chin and a bit of a grin,
    Without any doubting or quiddit,
He started to sing as he tackled the thing
    That couldn’t be done, and he did it.

There are thousands to tell you it cannot be done,
    There are thousands to prophesy failure;
There are thousands to point out to you one by one,
    The dangers that wait to assail you.
But just buckle it in with a bit of a grin,
    Just take off your coat and go to it;
Just start to sing as you tackle the thing
    That "cannot be done," and you’ll do it.

-E. A. Guest