When you buy through links on our site, we may earn an affiliate commission.
  • Current Donation Goals

Dilemma... PAM 203 fix up or break up?

daovto

I've recently been drawn towards the PAM side

I picked up a nice 203 and have enjoyed wearing it over the last week or two... it isn't a super rep or anything but I just like it.

Anyhow... After cleaning, refinishing and polishing the case I noticed that there were some marks on the I side of the crystal that looked like could be cleaned away. I'm used to uncasing watches and doing some modifications etc. So I thought I would be reasonably low risk in removing the movement and cleaning the crystal.

All went well until I went to put the crown/stem back into the movement and then I guess I've been unfortunate and screwed the works or something. After many attempts I did get the stem engaged but seemed to be stuck in time setting position. Also seemed that the tiny screw that is used to secure the stem (lock it in place) was just turning endlessly without tightening. To be clear it didn't tighten and then strip or anything it just never engaged to tighten.

So... I either need a fix or new movement. And to be honest I'm not sure if it's worth it if I need somebody to do the work - which I would prefer so as to avoid me screwing another one up.

What would you do... repair, replace movement or sell for parts and move on to another?

Shame to be at this junction as I really liked the watch :-(

I'm in UK by the way... if anybody can recommend the go to PAM guys for work.

5b1dc9884cf6dfed5f682bece462e866.jpg

Sent from my Nexus 6P using Tapatalk

If you want to try it yourself.

The screw pictured above most likely got unscrewed too much and disengaged from the setting lever. Most likely your fix is only a keyless reset isnt too difficult.

You can follow this guide for disassembling and reassembling the keyless, http://www.eta.ch/swisslab/6497/6947.html

dc3536bbee330504dd2883435aa29995.jpg

You need to worry about the steps that include the Yoke, Setting Lever, and Yoke Spring.

Those 3 components is what resetting the keyless includes.

You do have to remove the dial and those three parts are hidden under this part.

4e822f4108298fe12af948cf0f164cf4.jpg

I hope this helps.

If the set lever screw did strip or snap though you will need to replace the screw pictured above. These steps are good if the set lever screw and setting lever have no issues.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

• Like 1

Brilliant help @dinkas@themannier@nycrounders I think I've certainly my unscrewed the set lever screw too much and disengaged. I feel confident to attempt the keyless reset. I've done some work on movements - but only Seiko. I did some reading on 6497 and the steps above seem ok.

Final question assume hand removal is same as any other?? But any pitfalls to avoid?

Thanks so much gents... this watch is worth it... and the crystal is clean now too

17 minutes ago, MRWOZZA70 said:

Brilliant help @dinkas@themannier@nycrounders I think I've certainly my unscrewed the set lever screw too much and disengaged. I feel confident to attempt the keyless reset. I've done some work on movements - but only Seiko. I did some reading on 6497 and the steps above seem ok.

Final question assume hand removal is same as any other?? But any pitfalls to avoid?

Thanks so much gents... this watch is worth it... and the crystal is clean now tooemoji41.png

The hands set is very easy to remove and to install if you have the right tools...you are lucky because the eta6497 is a movement for «beginners» ; i mean that there is not so much parts plus they are pretty big and solid !

Brilliant help @dinkas[mention=62697]themannier[/mention][mention=77621]nycrounders[/mention] I think I've certainly my unscrewed the set lever screw too much and disengaged. I feel confident to attempt the keyless reset. I've done some work on movements - but only Seiko. I did some reading on 6497 and the steps above seem ok.  Final question assume hand removal is same as any other?? But any pitfalls to avoid? 

Thanks so much gents... this watch is worth it... and the crystal is clean now too

Here are some videos that I used when I was learning.  

I hope they help you too. Sorry links aren't working right , linked you to one. You can check out his other videos.

• Like 1

• 6 months later...
Here are some videos that I used when I was learning.   

I hope they help you too. Sorry links aren't working right , linked you to one. You can check out his other videos.

Never did get this in the right hands for a fix... will be coming up as spares or repair. Good project

Sent from my Pixel 2 XL using Tapatalk