When you buy through links on our site, we may earn an affiliate commission.
  • Current Donation Goals

Best 3135 sub hands for 16XXX build?

Revere

Hi all,

I'm working on a 16800 build using the JF LV as a base. It'll be a fun project to wear around, even if the rehaut is a little deep and the case is a hair off.

Any suggestions on hands? Clarks seem to be the reference for these builds but they don't look great. The seconds hand in particular looks a hair cheap on Clarks hands. 

Thank you!

1 minute ago, watchme22 said:

Clark are good but nowhere near gen, for a datejust they're fine but not a sub. I'd spend a little money and try to get the real deal.

Try a WANTED advert, I'm sure there's some around here...

You're likely right. I'm hopeful there's an alternative but if there isn't then I'll go gen.

The MQ hands look pretty good, never used them though.

ST has good quality hands for 3035/3135 at about $15 a set. 

Hand installing BS:

Hands are usually damaged during installation by handling them with tweezers and/or by the pressing tool used to mount them.  Many old timers simply pushed them down with tweezers...one slip and you might kill the hand and/or dial.  I try to handle them with Rodico and use a Horotek hand press or pencil type hand press with plastic tips to mount them to prevent damage.  Using a piece of thin clear plastic from a plastic bag etc between the hand and the press tool also helps prevent scratches.  If the hands are mounted level and you still need to raise one slightly (by bending) to prevent contact, cut a piece of paper about 4mm wide and 50mm +/- long and bend it in a 'U' shape to lift the hand, being careful not to crack the luminous filler.  To lower a hand by bending it, use a dowel or pencil hand tool padded with a soft material.  Bending hands slightly for clearance is common.

Many times hands will not fit (oem and aftmkt) and need to be broached or closed.  This is relatively easy to do but requires a steady hand, a few simple tools, and some practice so I will skip it because I bore everyone enough as it is.   :pimp:

• Like 2

1 hour ago, automatico said:

The MQ hands look pretty good, never used them though.

ST has good quality hands for 3035/3135 at about $15 a set. 

Hand installing BS:

Hands are usually damaged during installation by handling them with tweezers and/or by the pressing tool used to mount them.  Many old timers simply pushed them down with tweezers...one slip and you might kill the hand and/or dial.  I try to handle them with Rodico and use a Horotek hand press or pencil type hand press with plastic tips to mount them to prevent damage.  Using a piece of thin clear plastic from a plastic bag etc between the hand and the press tool also helps prevent scratches.  If the hands are mounted level and you still need to raise one slightly (by bending) to prevent contact, cut a piece of paper about 4mm wide and 50mm +/- long and bend it in a 'U' shape to lift the hand, being careful not to crack the luminous filler.  To lower a hand by bending it, use a dowel or pencil hand tool padded with a soft material.  Bending hands slightly for clearance is common.

Many times hands will not fit (oem and aftmkt) and need to be broached or closed.  This is relatively easy to do but requires a steady hand, a few simple tools, and some practice so I will skip it because I bore everyone enough as it is.   :pimp:

Good eye, thanks for the lead! These are *substantially* cheaper. MQ quoted me about 500 EUR for 16800 dial and hands. The ST hands look to be about the same quality as the MQ. If they turn out to be a little bad, I will order the MQ hands.

I will also post photos of the ST hands when they arrive so others can compare later.

ST can be a pain to order from but I have an account: If anyone wants to jump in on an order, PM me - I don't know if that's allowed on this forum so apologies in advance if that isn't allowed! 

I haven't seen any rep seconds hand that tapers like the gen so I opted for gen hands. Money well spent IMO, especially when using a 3135 clone movement.

I was so undecided on whether I was going to build a 16610 or a 16613 I ended up buying gen dial, hands and datewheel for both models. I decided on sticking with a 16610 build since I couldn't afford the gold bezel or crown after. lol

Edit: I just checked OFrei and they sell aftermarket 3135 hands and the second hand looks like it tapers. Could be an illusion though. Not bad at $26

3135y-diver.jpg

Edited by DVNE

Hi@Revere ... it seems we're working on very close projects.
6429 ... 16800 ... what else ?

I achieved a 16800 Comex (1984 year glossy dial) for my son last month but it was a very low budget (though I was happy enough with the result).
Now I'm waiting for the JF16610LN release to build one for myself ... probably an early model so a matte dial.

Hope you will post some pics of your 16800 "work in progress"

Envoyé de mon XT1068 en utilisant Tapatalk

• 3 weeks later...
  • 9 months later...

Btw... important for others that want the best 3135 hands

Email torobravo and see if they can help you source a set of JF 16610 3135 hands (approx $30 USD). Those are hands down the best aftermarket ones.

After messing with different parts, Startime hands and Clarks are both terrible IMO. Nothing beats gen and IMO JF and TC are both very close to gen.

Oh yeah and those Phong / MQ sub hands are terrible as well IMO - the lume proportions are wrong, and the seconds hand isn't tapered with the end circle being too big.

Edited by godkiller