When you buy through links on our site, we may earn an affiliate commission.
  • Current Donation Goals

doubt about correct hands for 1680

Dan71

Hi,

i have a doubt about 1680 hands..

many guys change cartel hands on their rep 1680, 5512, 5513 with TC hands because they said are more correct..

but after some research today i have found that 1680 have flat hands not 3D hand like TC or like newer gen sub with sapphire glass..

Phong have these different hands on his website for comparation:

http://www.jewelryandwatch.com/contents/en-us/d222_Submariner_1680%2C_5512%2C_5517%2C_6538.html

see on the bottom the 1680 flat hand, so maybe the flat cartel hands are not so bed ..or not ? :g:

Edited by Dan71

Others may know better but my understanding was that 1680 subs could be outfitted with curved hands at service. Modern subs obviously have 3D hands, but I don't know if it started with the 1680, 16800, 1680000, or 16610...

The 16800 was the last matte dial sub so it could be that curved hands started with that reference.

@Revere Tks for reply ,
I looking for on the web but I found only little information.
Also chronoshop have some hand for 1680 that seem to me very flat .(see below)
Maybe other 'guru' have the knowledge about old submariner and correct hand ?
https://www.chrono-shop.net/en/tritium-luminova-hands/660-rolex-tritium-aiguilles-submariner-5513-1680.html

I do know that the 5513 and 5512 had several iterations with flat hands. If memory serves 5513s had dials with white gold surrounds on the indices, much like later 16800s, so it could be that the curved hands were introduced around the same time.

I know dbane made a build of an exceptionally rare 5513 that he found some flat hands for in his parts bin. Maybe he will chime in here; I am sure he knows a bit about this.

I was told by a Rolex watchsmith that Rolex changed their handset to curved around the turn of the 70s. So it would be correct that some 1680 might have come with flat hands.

I have both flat and curved gen hands and normally chose to build 1680s with curved hands and save the flat hands for early 5512 and 5513

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

• Like 1

Around the turn of the 70?

So not from the 80' :-(

I'm pretty sure it was done in the 70s because a lot of early 1680 Red has flat hands still. So my guess is that the Rolex certified watchsmith I spoke to is correct that in early 70s Rolex switched to Curved hands.

ce5d1aab100d58c4541e71f57c2d9899.jpg76cc37107dc41d830b88ac2e05153e2e.jpg

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

• Like 1