When you buy through links on our site, we may earn an affiliate commission.
  • Current Donation Goals

ETA No Longer Selling Commercially

TheComputerKid

Question

Hello all!  I'm looking at purchasing this watch over at Trusty Time (link below). It's a GMT Master II with a modified ETA 2836-2 movement.  I had heard that ETA stopped selling their movements commercially and was now only making them for other Swatch Group subsidiaries. If that's true, does that mean that the movement in this watch is salvaged from another watch?  Would it be reliable?  Or is that rumor total garbage and ETA is still selling new movements to outside buyers?

http://www.ttw-138.com/index.php?main_page=product_info&cPath=1_5&products_id=12132

9 answers to this question

Partially true. ETA had a serious go at stopping selling, but although supply was limited they were available. Then the economy and the Swiss watch trade went into decline and ETA started selling more freely. 

None of which matters though, because if you buy a genuine Swiss movement fitted to a Chinese replica watch it is more than likely a used unit pulled from an old watch and fitted with a mix of used and Chinese parts. Not worth the extra money, stick with a Chinese ETA clone, they are not bad at all, though sometimes a little dirty. If it does break there is always the option of fitting an ETA replacement movement sourced from a reputable parts supplier, it is of course a direct swap.

• Like 1

6 minutes ago, Sogeha said:

Partially true. ETA had a serious go at stopping selling, but although supply was limited they were available. Then the economy and the Swiss watch trade went into decline and ETA started selling more freely. 

None of which matters though, because if you buy a genuine Swiss movement fitted to a Chinese replica watch it is more than likely a used unit pulled from an old watch and fitted with a mix of used and Chinese parts. Not worth the extra money, stick with a Chinese ETA clone, they are not bad at all, though sometimes a little dirty. If it does break there is always the option of fitting an ETA replacement movement sourced from a reputable parts supplier, it is of course a direct swap.

Okay, thanks!  I really appreciate the info!

The Swatch Group have shot them in their own foot with what they are doing, luckily I purchased my movement stock from them earlier this year, and they fulfilled a preorder recently too, I tried passing on the savings of some over stock movements on the forums, but even with a giveaway price, no takers, I guess the poor economy is hitting everyone hard these days.

36 minutes ago, Sogeha said:

Seem so so mate. I haven't seen a 7753 for that price in a long time.

Indeed, I have even lowered the price to €250 just for today, if it don't sell, it will go back into my stock.

I agree Mike, I was trained by The Swatch Group Nordic, and knew in advance on what TSG were planning, and even though myself, a few local watchmakers here, and fellow colleagues in Sweden and Norway trying to get them to steering in the right direction, they still went ahead with their decision. 

"I had heard that ETA stopped selling their movements commercially and was now only making them for other Swatch Group subsidiaries."

Many USA supply houses have eta movements for sale although the prices are high.  ST has 2836 now for $225...quite a bit compared to years past though as I have some new 2836 that were $65 a few years back...well, maybe more than a 'few' years. 

"It's a GMT Master II with a modified ETA 2836-2 movement."

The 24 hour parts will work in a swiss eta 2836 if you get a clone and it bites the dust.

"I tried passing on the savings of some over stock movements on the forums, but even with a giveaway price, no takers..."

I saw that, a steal on the 7753...they are $650 at ST.

Looks like the bottom is falling out of the snobby swiss watch biz...down about 30%.  They might have to eat their own swiss cheese...with a Seagull pallet fork.  :pimp: