When you buy through links on our site, we may earn an affiliate commission.
  • Current Donation Goals

1675 Eagle beak pcg

Dlf

This 1675 has been in the works for nearly 2 years, probably because I had found a gen 1675 63' pcg and that was my main focus, well...and the other draw of builds, parts, and stuff, you know how it goes ...

The case started off an old cartel, but now I had my gen case for 1:1 detail ;) I was adamant to get it close as I could muster, I've heard some people comment how the cartel case is close to gen, which is a pretty inaccurate opinion as far as my eyes  led me to believe.

Case thickness, crown guards, tube area were my main focus, case was taken down on top and on bottom but mostly the top by a substantial amount, luckily this was beneficial for the crown tube height which was set up for a 6mm crown and very much case centered/ low as stock. So my next test was to fit the correct 5.3mm crown tube, this posed an awkward modification but I came up with grinding the 6mm tube down to the case flush, then retapping the 6mm tube for the 5.3mm one, and it worked a treat . 

Case was heavily laser welded cg's lugs, and shaped to a early 1675 eagle beak spec, there's a few different variations of 1675 pcg's .

Most important aspects were behind the case tube as it gets very close to the crown on gen, also the way the top part of the cg's are machined circular with the case, rarther than just filing in a horizontal line with the case, if that makes sense, This took me a long time and multiple welds before the OCD subsided. Should have just bought a phong, but that's too easy, and besides the point.

Crystal is a gen 116 (thanks automatico for the tips!)
Insert in gen red back / there's one on eBay for $1200 which looks exactly the same, insert prices have gone mental over the last few years!.

Ideally I wanted to keep the build as gen less as possible just to see how close I could get, but I'm not a fan of the aftermarket insert fonts.

Crown tube gen / both tubes :lol:

Phong custom deep cut bezel,  most would opt for a Clark assembly and there's nothing wrong with that , nicely made. But the pcg gen old first edition bezels are so nice and deep I had to have something better, so phong made this one, I did take it down on the lathe to match my gen , but it's very nice as is.

Hands are a mix, Gen gmt hand broached and gmt wheel taken down ( to keep a nice tube in hand) painted red, I used a gen hand as the proportions on aftermarket hands are awkward.
Tc hour, minute, and HR seconds with  modifiying the tip to be like a gen 1675 hand.

Case back was engraved pan am / Neckyzips , and taken in to match the flat area of the cb.
Home made mov ring
Dial is a Vietnamese job, same as most suppliers from the region : negative relief blah blah.

Yuki bracelet drilled out to fit fat bars .

I've missed out a lot of details but it was a long drawn out deal but it looks pretty dam close to my gen in the end.
I will take some pics side by side once I have some time to go to the bank, and my summer daze kicks in.

Here's a few quick snaps of the completion .

Hand mod 

671589EF-F40B-4B7A-BD88-B6E192D922C2.jpg

C4023600-D21F-419D-948F-E3C09C2B2836.jpg

EAB898EF-0DB2-4600-B91C-6CCD7A18C6AB.jpg

Gen reference eagle beak
55C1150F-EE44-4AE4-B009-A9F9C4B7E614.jpg

CD0CF332-6006-403F-915D-59B25274B032.jpg

10BC7182-2B44-40EC-87C7-B48695FDF20C.jpg

IMG_0104.PNG

• Like 3

• 3 years later...
On 7/31/2020 at 2:07 PM, Mbari said:

Brilliant, subscribed!

Sent from my Pixel 3 XL using Tapatalk

this thread is 3+ years old .  He is done with the build and has probably sold it off....lol