When you buy through links on our site, we may earn an affiliate commission.
  • Current Donation Goals

Tool suggestion for cleaning dials: clean-room swabs

Revere

We've all been there: you're working on a dial that costs more than your monthly rent and you sneeze on it, or your dog hair falls on it, or you accidentally spray it with windex. 

Cleaning glossy dials always gives me a headache because I am anal about having blemish-free dials. Using q-tips can be a pain and frequently leaves little dust bits behind. Cleaning up the dust bits that compressed air doesn't whisp away means more q-tips, and the problem spirals...

Enter clean-room swabs which are dust and lint free. I tried these with a sharp point to be able to clean around text and indices:

https://www.amazon.com/gp/product/B01DVNRB0O/ref=oh_aui_detailpage_o00_s00?ie=UTF8&psc=1

They are fairly firm so you can get good tactile feedback on how hard you are pressing. A light dab picks up most dust. Applying a small nothing of your cleaner of choice to the tip and rubbing lightly will work excellently to clean up any grease stains you might have gotten on the dial from fat-fingering it. If you apply too much cleaner and leave a streak, rubbing lightly with a clean swab will clean up the residue.

These and a canless air system really made my assembly life much easier. I thought I would share in case anyone else experiences similar headaches.

Edited by Revere

"Cleaning glossy dials always gives me a headache..."

Me too.

I use AF Blue, similar to green 'Rodico' but better for shiny dials imho. 

Wear new rubber gloves when handling AF/Rodico that is to be used only on dials and do not use it on anything else.  Use a blotting or rolling motion, do not drag it across a dial. 

It's good stuff!  :pimp:   

example:

eBay item number  162115903985