When you buy through links on our site, we may earn an affiliate commission.
  • Current Donation Goals

Wow! Is this a Swiss 7750?

alligoat

If you can find them with a gen ETA 7750 for around 300 USD, I would jump on them. 7750 movements alone are getting up around 400 USD new. If they are new stock, they would be a real bargain. The only thing is if they are used older watches, by the time you add in the cost of service, you may as well spring for a new movement.

Sent from my iPad using Tapatalk

"Reminds me of the last Gen I had with a Swiss 7750 in it that nobody would touch for $300 because apparently the brand name on the dial meant the Swiss 7750 was junk (or so people act like if the brand name starts with I and you guys know which brand I mean)"

Yep.  I have one...a 'Reserve' 45mm diver with blue dial and bezel insert.  No one will give it the time of day because of the brand name.  I have examined a few watches up close (probably a few thousand) and this Invicta has very good casework, dial etc.  It is a good watch imho but the brand name kills it mainly because of the $79 junk all over eBay, cable TV sales networks etc plus know-it-alls running their mouth (keyboard?) on the internet.  The exact same watch with Hamilton, Oris etc on the dial would make them whizz down their leg.  :pimp:

Around 15 years ago the stainless steel black dial Invicta 8926 diver with 8215 Miyota was the  TZ Darling.  Now the 8926 has an NH35A automatic and is supposedly better than the original.

• Like 1

I remember that @automatico I came very close to buying one at the time. I believe Invicta vary a lot in quality from model to model. Built by outside contractors? Personally I find many of them a bit gauche, I especially dislike the Invicta name down the left side of the case, but each to their own. The watch game has a lot of snobbery and perception of value that is not actually there. 

8 hours ago, Sogeha said:

I remember that @automatico I came very close to buying one at the time. I believe Invicta vary a lot in quality from model to model. Built by outside contractors? Personally I find many of them a bit gauche, I especially dislike the Invicta name down the left side of the case, but each to their own. The watch game has a lot of snobbery and perception of value that is not actually there. 

Snobbery and value perception is definitely right, Rolex/Omega/other expensive name brand watch = $5000+++ for an automatic movement watch with a Meteorite dial, any lesser known brand usually = less than $1000 and therefore may be considered "junk" to those buying the Rolex/Omega/other high end brands.

At the end of the day a Swiss 7750 is a Swiss 7750, and a Meteorite dial is a Meteorite dial, same as how an ounce of Platinum/Gold/Silver is what it is regardless of what name/design is stamped on it.

And usually just because a watch costs 5-10x as much doesn't mean you are getting something that much better (usually you aren't because quality can only get so high before you aren't paying for better quality, just the name)

Edited by tyrantblade