When you buy through links on our site, we may earn an affiliate commission.
  • Current Donation Goals

Breitling Navitimer vs. Rolex Daytona Rep

Spectral

217 members have voted

1. 1. Which one is the best rep ?

• Breitling Navitimer
    • Rolex Daytona

Which one did you get from him? He as several some with sub dials at 3,6,9 and one with subs at 6,9,12

Steve, I bought this one from Josh:

Navitimer 3-6-9 Blue - Ref BRENAV369Blu Asia 7750

Check the Breitling website; this one is as close as you're going to get.

http://www.breitling.com/en/models/navitimer/navitimer/

It's a cross between the second steel version, and the first steel/gold version with the blue dial. Like I said, near spot-on.

You never want seconds at six; as Tom has pointed out before, the amount of gearing that has to be crushed down at the six o'clock position to accomplish this with a 7750 just doesn't work. This, also as Tom pointed out, is why the Nav is such a good deal; seconds at nine in rep and gen.

Hope that helps.

• Replies 81
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

I'm doing up a Marine Chronometer 40mm with a gen rubber/titanium strap, gen dial, and appropriate ETA movement that Ulysse Nardin used, and am fabricating the correct bezel. The reps have awful dials as well as incorrect knurled bezel, pushers and crown. I can machine a correct bezel and adapt the case appropriately for the movement and dial and get the correct pushers and crown. The hands will be a challenge, as the reps are bad too. It's come together on the drawing board, and my brother (a machinist expert at miniature work) is going to be here for the weekend during which we will be drafting the final bezel sketches. It won't likely be done until summer, when I can spend some time at his house doing the machining.

Wow, very cool. If you need some contacts to find hands, I posted a couple of links in the links section of the board for watch hand manufacturers. They may have what you need. I also have another contact who works for a factory where I bought hands before. If you can send her a picture, she may be able to find them for you. PM me if you are interested in that contact.

Can somebody tell me if the current batch of navitimers carry the 28k8 beat 7750 movement, or the previouse 21k6 version ?

thanks

I believe all of the asian ones have the older 21,600 bph movement. There are some out there that have the swiss movements though.

Both the Navi and the Daytona (with correct dial spacing) are nice reps.

Both have problems...

The Navitimer has a few...the silver sub dials are too shiny compared to the gen. The case back of some I have seen are not correct having the Breitling Fighters on the back when that was only manufactured on a special series Navi (Brietling Fighters). Another problem with the Navi's is that the white paint on the dial has a tendency to chip. I saw this first hand and also on the other forum.

The Daytona has a few...the rehaut is too deep...the markers are too close to the subdials...the movt is not even close to the real deal and could have problems...the subdials are too shiny...the CGs are too big...

Even with all of these issues...i'd prefer the Daytona. Why? Because most people can't tell and I've owned both the Navi (sold it) and still own the Daytona. my Daytona is still running strong and looks great. My Navi was just not cutting it for me.

Enjoy.

Even if the Rolex was a better rep, which it is not, the breitling is still the way to go IMO -- for the average guy. In addition to breitlings being way cooler, the price difference between the genuines is fairly significant, thus when I see a Rolex on most people, especially a Daytona, the first thing to pop into my mind is "fake"

The movement in the Breitling is a close copy to the original movement used in the Breitling. The Daytona's movement is a hack and not even close to a copy of the original movement. Because of this, the Daytona is going to have more problems. It has serious power reserve issues due to all of the extra gearing they hacked in there.

Now, if you can find a franken Zenith as slayer mentioned, that is the best. But, prepare to spend a ton of scratch. Not worth in IMO. Well over $1000.

Ubi should be getting his done! In my opinion, his is definately worth it!

I got my navitimer from Josh about a week and a half ago, and I am totally pleased and can't tell the difference from the real mccoy.

I have one as well.

I collect reps, but I don't do anything that involves opening the case - until now. Just for the fun of it, I thought I would try to adjust the timing - guess what, the Asian 7750 does not have the whachamacallit that the real Valjoux has for that.

It does, however, have the little arm that can be moved with a small screw driver or a paperclip or something. I tinkered with it, adjusting it periodically for a few days, and now the thing keeps nearly perfect time. It is 2 seconds off after 4 days.

I am going to play with some of my others.

BTW, duct tape makes a great case opener. You wrap a piece around the palm of your hand, sticky side out, and you cannot believe what a grip you can get on a case back that way. Just press against the case back and turn, sort of like opening a jar.

Bill

Hi,

Following your advices, I finaly decided to order a Breitling Navitimer. I got it today from Homer (http://www.mulberryoutlet.co.uk/ email: homer@mulberryoutlet.co.uk).

This is my first rep. I'm very satisfied. Looks like the real watch (see picture from Homer below).

The rep I got looks exactly like on the pictures.

Impressive !

And everything is fully functionnal (chronograph + "navigation computer").

Thank you all for helping me !

post-1218-1145389849_thumb.jpg

post-1218-1145389869_thumb.jpg

I have always wanted the navitimer, but the dial issues have kept me away. As for the daytona's I see real ones everyday and have always been afraid of getting called out. If you have your heart set on one of those watches I would say a daytona with second's@9 and a full mod job from RBJ.

I have the Daytona second at 9 from Eddie Lee for almost a year now. Tried to sell it and the deal fell through and came back to me. But the more i wear it the more i like it. It has been working great for a year now. Just took it for 9 days vacation to the west coast (LAX) from east coast (mass). To me the asia 7750 worked good (for the second at 9 version) so my next watch will be the navitimer. How much do the dealers charge for it now a day? I have already owned a Seawolf TI with ETA 2824-2.

• 3 weeks later...

The navitimer reps are very good. Small things like the date wheel and window, sometimes raised subdials and the 'B' on the stop watch second hand is very slightly different. Personaly I think the navitimer is one of the nicest watches out there, I would go for the navitimer every time!

Would love to see a Breitling for Bentley with a swiss movement!

• 2 weeks later...

Breitling, Most people know of them... but VERY few realize that they make a rep, especially one as believable as what is available. Just looking at how complicated the dial is most people wouldnt believe it was a rep if you told them (unless your chrono slipped to one, but that can be easily fixed hehe).

Many Rolex Daytona's have issues, and are already assumed to be fakes.

Don't have a breitling dealer local (not that I would have worn it in), but was in a Rolex dealer this weekend to get another watch looked at and the owner spotted my breitling (before I could ask him about my other watch) and thought it was a gen navitimer and wouldn't leave my side with a store full of people. He did offer me 15% off any rolex in stock or special order (and he had just told a person while I was there that they dont discount Rolex).

i love the daytonas and i have a navi on order.. can't wait as i check the mail every day now.. the error in regard to the navi date window cutout can be easily fixed by dropping in a GENUINE DIAL. fits with no problems on the 6-9-12 models.

j

• 1 month later...

I have to agree here on the Breitling. I have a gen Navitimer Cosmonaute that I have considered selling - but it is so beautiful that I decided I cannot part with it. Rolex's are everywhere - go with something unique.