When you buy through links on our site, we may earn an affiliate commission.
  • Current Donation Goals

Rolex 6542 GMT Gilt Frankenstein

slay

I have a love/hate relationship with this watch... 

I love it, because it's one of the most beautiful vintage Rolex in my opinion. What stands out to me is that it is one of the few Rolex where the acrylic crystal sits very low above the dial. The 6542 is one of the few watches that strikes a perfect balance between looking different & unique and modesty.

I hate it, because finding gen parts for it, especially for the movement, is virtually impossible. Why you ask? Because across the entire Cal. 1030 movement family (1030, 1035, 1036, 1040, 1055, 1065 & 1066), there is only a single reference [the 6542], which used a GMT Version of these movements.  To make things worse, even the parts that look identical to those of a regular Cal 103X or 106X, have slight differences which will drive you nuts when assembling the watch with non-GMT versions (calendar ring, hour wheel, cannon pin, etc.). 

Anyway...

Btx1bWR.jpg

sC6Ld2J.jpg

3pzGdE1.jpg

kZIATEq.jpg

EWsiTv6.jpg

r30Y3hM.jpg

wK1lcqY.jpg

R1KXZ6T.jpg

1A0LJVh.jpg

SWp4cSg.jpg

1ORMP0e.jpg

7mdihrz.jpg

• Like 5

Is that a gen dial?

Because it sure looks very-very-very good. The serifs are excellent in both clarity and look. White subprinting on indices. Awesome lume plots (ok, the 2'o'clock is almost perfect, but not 100%)..

/Not so fluent in GMT6542

Not a gen dial, but it's different from the other gilt dials I handled. Almost like the dial plate has a different shade of gold.
As you can see, lume on the bezel, dial, hands and the gilt lettering all match in color :)

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

Absolutely beautiful.  And that's far and away the best Bakelite insert I've seen.  :notworthy:

I know what you mean about the color of the gilt.  All my gilt dials have the same warm gold color showing through except my 1675.  It's very much "whiter" almost like 10k gold next to 24k.

• Like 1

• 2 weeks later...
  • 3 weeks later...
  • 2 months later...