When you buy through links on our site, we may earn an affiliate commission.
  • Current Donation Goals

Servicing a V7 noob

Ben1212

Gents, 

I took a 9 month hiatus from browsing the forums and see TC is on a sabbatical? In his absence I was going to take the opportunity to buy something cheaper (of course, certainly not to the same standard) as I am impatient and fancy a new watch! 

Pretty much set on the V7 Noob but want to get it serviced first if possible. I am based in the UK, can anyone recommend a trusted individual who I can ship the watch to before it goes on my wrist? 

Thanks 

Ben 

• Like 1

I'd say that's true for the sub-C line although the classic LV from JF is the TC-killer best OTB cartel sub at the moment, plus don't underestimate the Yuki movement because you can install a gen dial or gen hands pretty much straightaway.

If I were in your shoes I'd buy the JF classic LV has it serviced by SSTEEL and franken-it up with gen xtal, date wheel, dial and insert (in this particular order). 

If you are not particular fond of the LV well you can buy an aftermarket (or gen) LN insert and correct dial and swap them in :).

If you're after a sub-C (it'd be odd since you've mentioned the will of buying from TC) I'd rather buy a second hand already modded M2M here on the forum or a brand new one from BK: gen SWISS ETA serviced, clark xtal, centred cyclope and pearl. In that scenario I'll go for a BK no date B).

Well @Ben1212 do you want a 16610 or a 116610 model. If I were to go for the former and contact @SSTEEL to build a franken, I would start with a TC midcase, which Ssteel just happens to have been buying up lately.

Ultimately it depends which model you prefer, how accurate you wish it to be and how much you are willing to spend.

welcome to the rabbit hole?

• Like 1

Thanks Sogeha! 

Excuse my naivety but what should I expect to pay for a Franken 16610? I am sure the skies the limit but a baseline idea would be useful.

I had looked at BK's Noob sub c and they do look very nice. From memory it was circa $650 plus shipping. My issue with that was BK only takes Western Union or MoneyGram on larger payments and I use neither unfortunately. 

As you say the sky is the limit or more correctly, you should stop some way before hitting the price of a genuine 16610?

A TC is around $700 off the top of my head, then if you start adding genuine parts it will quickly escalate. A lot depends on where you get the parts and how much they cost you. To be honest I think a TC is good enough for most practical purposes, perhaps a better aftermarket crystal and genuine crown. An option I suppose is to live with the watch as is until you have learned enough for some part to oftend you and then upgrade that way a part at a time, it will spread the cost at least That is what I have done with my 5508 Submariner over the last couple of years.

8 hours ago, Ben1212 said:

Thanks Sogeha! 

Excuse my naivety but what should I expect to pay for a Franken 16610? I am sure the skies the limit but a baseline idea would be useful.

I had looked at BK's Noob sub c and they do look very nice. From memory it was circa $650 plus shipping. My issue with that was BK only takes Western Union or MoneyGram on larger payments and I use neither unfortunately. 

There's a nice franken for €900 in the trade area, €1200 with the LV insert, but its broken at 12, so the seller has offered the watch for €900 without insert, which is a great deal.