When you buy through links on our site, we may earn an affiliate commission.
  • Current Donation Goals

2824 adapter ring to fit 1530

5513fan

Here is the  size you need but this is only for a basic spacer that is not made to also support the dial.

28.5mm outside diameter (fits rolex cases made for 1520/1570 etc)

26.0mm inside diameter (fits eta 28xx movements)

Approximately 2.25mm thick depending on if case clamps with screws are used or with screws fitting into a groove cut in the case.  A dedicated 2824 spacer may be thinner than 2.25mm, the spacer I measured was made for an eta 2836. 

Most standard brass eta spacers are 29.0mm od x 26.0mm id x 2.3mm thick and can easily be modified to work in your application.  Specialized custom made case spacers ('Stilty' etc) have a step cut inside and outside to precisely fit the movement.  The long gone 'Stilty Spacers' were made to also support the dial using an eta 2836 or 2824 movement and are near impossible to find now. 

It is easy to make a 28xx to rolex 1520/1570 spec case out of a standard brass spacer and anyone handy with a lathe can make a precision 'Stilty' type spacer using a standard brass spacer in an hour or so.  The 'Yuki' spacers are also precision made as far as I know but I have never seen one.

https://yukiwatch.ecwid.com/ETA-adaptor-retro-fit-cal-15X0-case-p35063689

Maybe someone on the forum will make one for you.

• Like 1

You can actually put it together with no ring. Once the dial and movement are together you can mount it with just the tabs. You may have to trim the tabs to fit, but that's all you will need. The case has a groove for the dial and once the dial is in that grove, it will not move. The tabs hold it securely in place. Try it, it works really good.

• Like 1

• 4 weeks later...
On 17/06/2017 at 1:41 PM, mymanmatt said:

You can actually put it together with no ring. Once the dial and movement are together you can mount it with just the tabs. You may have to trim the tabs to fit, but that's all you will need. The case has a groove for the dial and once the dial is in that grove, it will not move. The tabs hold it securely in place. Try it, it works really good.

This is exactly what I did to install 2824 in my gen spec 6538 and 5512 cases.

"$50 bucks for anyone who can get me a 2824 to fit 1530/5513 case adapter ring by Saturday. I am in NJ."

Anyone who has not had the 'pleasure' of making one of these %^#*&@$ things on a manual lathe might not realize that $50 is not too much to pay.  I made one yesterday out in the garage (90 degrees with a pissant fan aimed more or less toward me).  First one was a hair too big ID because I was in a hurry and did not take the time to measure it accurately.  I was afraid the movement might fall through the spacer if the movement was out of spec a hair or two.  The next one is almost done and I may put it in a trophy case instead of the watch when I finish it.

I have made quite a few spacers like this but making these things is touchy because if you screw up the last cut, you have to start all over and on my small lathe, it is like a rat eating a grindstone...small bites on a big brass washer.  I used a 'Stilty Spacer' for a pattern and so far it looks like the second spacer will work Ok.  All the Stilty Spacers were CNC made and iirc they were $30 or $40 each.  I saved a couple for patterns.

I can whittle you one out but it will be cool weather before I get back in the game...this one was a self inflicted 'emergency'.  :snorkel:

It will not be $50 either...less $$ but later.

"...anyone handy with a lathe can make a precision 'Stilty' type spacer using a standard brass spacer in an hour or so." 

I call BS on the above statement made by some fool.   :pimp:

"Would a TC movement holder work for you?"

It might.  Depending on the dimensions.

An eta 2824/36/46 OD is 26.0mm at the widest spot.  A 5512/13 case ID is 28.5mm at the widest spot where the movement mounts and there is a step down to about 27.5mm in the case wall before it gets to the dial seat (measurements are not always exact exact but very close).  This is why a standard cartel generic flat side spacer is not a real good fit...the spacer needs to be made to precisely fit the OD of the movement and the ID of the case.  Most replica cases are made for 26mm eta 28xx or DG/NN etc movements with dials up to about 27 or 28mm so the case usually has a smaller ID than a case made for a rolex 15xx movement that is 28.5mm wide.  A genuine rolex spec case with a 15xx movement does not have a spacer, the movement is a snug fit in the case.

The Catch: 

A no date 15xx rolex movement is 5.75mm thick and a date movement is a little over 6mm thick so the spacers need to be made in different thicknesses if they are also made to support the dial like a Stilty Spacer.  That is one reason why he had the spacers made...so they would make it easier when putting an eta 28xx in a case made for a rolex 15xx using a rolex spec dial with the dial feet removed...the spacers have a flat surface that rises above the movement for the dial to rest on and it does away with the flimsy eta spacer. 

If a spacer is to be made just so it holds the movement in place and pushes the movement toward the dial by case clamp/screw pressure, it can be a 'universal' type that closely fits the case ID and movement OD and the thickness can be 'adjusted' by machining or sanding to make it thinner if needed.  The thickness also determines how the case clamps will work because they need to go across the spacer and lock into the groove in the case...too thick and the clamp will not go into the groove, too thin and the clamp may not put enough pressure on the movement to hold it in place.  Bending the case clamp to apply more pressure will help if the spacer is too thin but since most of them are relatively soft they may not hold their shape.

I measured six (6) random brass cartel spacers and here are the different sizes:

28.0mm OD x 2.1mm thick   28.5mm OD x 1.70mm thick   28.5mm OD x 2.1mm thick   29.1mm OD x 2.3mm thick  and two duplicates   

ID = They all were a hair over 26mm inside and an eta 28xx movement will drop through them all. 

No idea what they came out of and there are probably a lot more sizes available, so they are not all alike.

I know I have made this seem a lot more complicated than it really is but if the spacer is not a good fit, the movement may slide back and forth when setting time/screwing the crown down and this will scuff the dial and minute markers.  Stout case clamps will help a lot but a precision spacer is also needed.