When you buy through links on our site, we may earn an affiliate commission.
  • Current Donation Goals

What exactly is the weak point of the SA3135?

Watchfan9797

Hello all, 

My apologies if this is widely known.  I see that the SA3135 is considered to be less reliable than the 2836 equipped reps. Is it only the stem, and can this be mitigated by keeping the watch wound and only adjusting the date and when absolutely necessary when the time drifts too much?  Or are their other issues with it like power reserve or other just breakage issues?

Im looking to pick up a Noob v7 and would eventually put a Yuki 3135 in in, but don't want to have do within a short time frame.  

Obviously this is my first post, but not new to watches.  Just this interest was sparked when a buddy of mine showed up one day at work with a Rep Explorer that looked too damn nice to only cost a few hundred bucks.  Lol

I am no expert, nor am I a watchsmith. However for what it is worth my understanding is that the movement has recently improved in terms of reliability. The biggest issue is the total lack of replacement parts. Also be aware that the JF movement is essentially the same movement as the Yuki and also that the price of a Yuki is not as much as it used to be. 

My opinion is that if your buying a rep. get the eta movement. The eta has standard parts that are easy to source. the yuki is a very good copy of the 3135 rolex movement. I used a yuki in my latest build because I used a gen case and the yuki is a direct drop in. The yuki also used alot of gen 3135 parts. I hope this helps

The problem with the stem was with the first SA3135, version 2 has a better stem, and its an ok movement, of course then there's the SH3135 too which is a Yuki but with engravings.

• Like 1

Thanks for the replies.  So at this time the SA3135 would be an ok movement to have until I went the route of getting a Yuki since improvements have been made?   This won't be a daily wear watch and I most likely would only wear it on non work days when accuracy isn't nearly as important.  

If the date wheel lined up better and the movement wasn't thicker on the 2836 models I'd go that way, but both of those bug me on my buddies 2836 sub rep.  

Question:  "What exactly is the weak point of the SA3135?"

Answer  "The biggest issue is the total lack of replacement parts."

Solution:  "My opinion is that if you're buying a rep. get the eta movement.  The eta has standard parts that are easy to source."

Agree.

"I used a Yuki in my latest build because I used a gen case and the Yuki is a direct drop in."

Imho this is the only valid reason to use a 3135 clone. 

No oem parts and high watch repair labor cost are two of the major problems facing watch owners, especially mechanical watch owners.  Replicas are bad enough but try finding a bezel/case screw for a Royal Oak or a pallet fork for a Patek, Paiget, V&C, JLC etc.  You will get screwed, glued, steam rolled, and dry cleaned.  At least.  

Even if the repair guy down the street can do the work, he can not get the parts. 

This may be one of the reasons why high grade replicas are proliferating.  Buyers who would have to stretch their budget to afford a rolex, omega or something similar find out how much it will cost for 'routine service' (or have been screwed by oem repair service price gouging in the past) decide to get a replica.

...or an Accutron II.  :clap2:

3 minutes ago, automatico said:

Question:  "What exactly is the weak point of the SA3135?"

Answer  "The biggest issue is the total lack of replacement parts."

Solution:  "My opinion is that if you're buying a rep. get the eta movement.  The eta has standard parts that are easy to source."

Agree.

"I used a Yuki in my latest build because I used a gen case and the Yuki is a direct drop in."

Imho this is the only valid reason to use a 3135 clone. 

No oem parts and high watch repair labor cost are two of the major problems facing watch owners, especially mechanical watch owners.  Replicas are bad enough but try finding a bezel/case screw for a Royal Oak or a pallet fork for a Patek, Paiget, V&C, JLC etc.  You will get screwed, glued, steam rolled, and dry cleaned.  At least.  

Even if the repair guy down the street can do the work, he can not get the parts. 

This may be one of the reasons why high grade replicas are proliferating.  Buyers who would have to stretch their budget to afford a rolex, omega or something similar find out how much it will cost for 'routine service' (or have been screwed by oem repair service price gouging in the past) decide to get a replica.

...or an Accutron II.  :clap2:

I highly doubt I'd sink any additional money in a rep other than putting a Yuki movement in it.  Come time for a service and I'd just buy a new rep or hopefully by then I can afford a real sub.  

Am I mistaken or would a Yuki movement drop into a Noob 3135 case and re-use the dial and hands?  I thought through what I've read that could be done.  

Yes. The Noob is the same dimensions as the Rolex movement and the Yuki is a an almost identical clone, so dial, hands and case are interchangeable between the three. I believe I have read reports of a very, very slight size difference on the hands, which is probably due to poor tolerances and may need a slight broaching or squeezing of the hands. Not something that would cause any issue to a half decent watch smith

The sa3135 is a 2836 that has engraving to make to look like a poor attempt at a gen movement. So a sa3135 is a different foot print than the yuki.

I don't think this is true about the footprint.

People buy the SA3135 watches to drop a yuki in it.

On the other hand, the yuki will not fit in the 2836 case. (Based on what I've read) crown and stem height is different.

Others get the 2836 reps for ease of service and availability of parts. I think that is changing now though. The yuki or SH3135 is starting to be available in more pieces from TDs. There's a bunch of threads about this yuki vs sa3135 vs sh3135

I think you are confused, which in fairness seems to be exactly what the makers and sellers are aiming for with all these different but similar names

33 minutes ago, mead861 said:

The sa3135 is a 2836 that has engraving to make to look like a poor attempt at a gen movement. So a sa3135 is a different foot print than the yuki.

mes 

Nothing to be sorry about mate. If you hadn't posted that, you would have continued with the same misunderstanding. I don't think you are the first to find the whole issue virtually impenetrable and even after playing the game for a few years, I still have to stop and put some thought into which movement is which. Perhaps I should start a thread on the subject and hopefully our watch smith members will add to it.

• Like 1

Guest TheGauleiter
4 hours ago, mead861 said:

That is actually the Asian3135 (A3135), which is decorated to look like a 3135 (not well, in my opinion), but still functions like a regular ETA 2836. The SA3135 "looks" and functions like a gen 3135, as does the Yuki/SH3135. The Yuki/SH3135 can take quite a few gen 3135 parts, unlike the SA3135.

Pretty sure I'm set on a Noob with a SA3135 at this point.  Now just need to sell an authentic Hamilton Day Date to fund a Rep watch purchase.  Still having a weird feeling about that one, but after seeing my buddies Sub and Explorer I have to have one.  I love the Sub look but the damn price tag on one is just outrageous and would be irresponsible for me to get one right now.  

41 minutes ago, mead861 said:

If you go the explorer route the movement wouldn't matter because the explorer doesn't have a date window. 

Yeah.  I'd just search out the highest quality movement for something without a date.  I like the new Air King.  That may be a second rep I'd buy 

You're thinking of the a3135

There is nothing wrong with the sa3135, in fact it's a great copy just like the other Asian movements that suffers from poor assembly.

The sa3135 got bad press because noob used a load of v1's when they released the v6s series of sub and dssd. So the weak stem issue which was well documented with the v1 reared its head again. Even the stem wasn't that bad but when you get an achilles heel the noisy minority are those who are listened to especially by noobs.

The v2 is much better. Solved the problem. But like all Asian movements the material is not what you would expect to see on a swiss. The wheels are [censored] like on all Asian movements. So for a long time everybody digged it out because the automatic assumption is it can't take gen parts because it's not an identical copy.

In reality, with some modification, guys like[mention=33155]maxracingshox[/mention] have proven that you CAN put gen parts on the sa3135. The big weak points are the driving and reversing wheels. These can be switched with the gen but you have to grind the jewel down. Yes it is aggro but a good watchsmith will do this for you and then the sa3135 is rock solid. With an ultrasonic clean, re-oil and re-assemble it's a fantastic movement.

The sh3135 is the yuki. Now the big problem with this movement is expectation. It needs a service out of the box. And to make matters worse, a movement that requires a service out of the box is sent to another Chinese sweat shop and had part of it removed and engraved, then, in true Chinese tradition, drenched in oil and mixed with pubic hair, shrapnel and god knows what else. Then the unserviced movement goes out to the likes of ourselves having been running with bits of metal etc in it which causes further damage. Not only this but again the positioning of the jewel causes a problem. So again it really needs to go to a watchsmith that knows the movement. More parts on the yuki are interchangeable with the gen out of the box which gives the impression it's better than the sa3135. It isn't, it's just different.

The a3135 is a 2836 with a decorated plate and doesn't need to be discussed here.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

• 8 months later...

I have a SA3135 in a Sub HULK, its just 8 weeks old and the "Driving Wheel for Ratchet Wheel" (part:510) has failed. the teeth are worn down on one side :-(

Can anyone help with this part?  Or does anyone know if the original rolex part 510 will fit this asian clone movement.  I can buy the original part here in the uk easily.

Thanks.

• 5 months later...
On 6/19/2017 at 12:25 AM, Ssouthall6 said:

in true Chinese tradition, drenched in oil and mixed with pubic hair, shrapnel and god knows what else.

Lol, one year later, that made me laugh.

Thanks for explanation about the movements !