When you buy through links on our site, we may earn an affiliate commission.
  • Current Donation Goals

RIP Barry Norman

SSTEEL

Fond memories watching Barry in Film for decades, sadly passed away 83.  He was so up to speed with anything, film.

http://www.dailymail.co.uk/news/article-4656792/Film-critic-Barry-Norman-dies-aged-83.html

He will live on with his family secret recipe The famous Barry Norman Pickled Onion's.

• Like 1

I grew up in the cinema. I watched everything. I was lucky to be just the right age to witness the last great era of Hollywood. Barry Norman was my go to guy for film criticism. I didn't always agree with him but that's the way it should be. He was, however, a true lover of film and when he analysed a film it was with a keen eye and a lack of ego, something that is sorely lacking in many other critics. I do not like the role of a critic as it is by definition to criticise and that I find distasteful. Barry Norman was not to my mind a critic, he was an appraiser and I think film makers of the time would have been well advised to listen to his wise words. He had no axe to grind and no point to prove he just said it how he saw it. He gave me many hours of enjoyment and nurtured in me a love of film. I thank him. RIP. Top bloke.

• Like 3

I grew up in the cinema. I watched everything. I was lucky to be just the right age to witness the last great era of Hollywood. Barry Norman was my go to guy for film criticism. I didn't always agree with him but that's the way it should be. He was, however, a true lover of film and when he analysed a film it was with a keen eye and a lack of ego, something that is sorely lacking in many other critics. I do not like the role of a critic as it is by definition to criticise and that I find distasteful. Barry Norman was not to my mind a critic, he was an appraiser and I think film makers of the time would have been well advised to listen to his wise words. He had no axe to grind and no point to prove he just said it how he saw it. He gave me many hours of enjoyment and nurtured in me a love of film. I thank him. RIP. Top bloke.

Nice post!

Funny, when I grew up cinema/ film was considered 'serious ' and TV was considered more for children or very light hearted.

Now with obvious exceptions, it could be argued just the opposite.

Sent from my iPad using Tapatalk Pro