When you buy through links on our site, we may earn an affiliate commission.
  • Current Donation Goals

Want to build a 7928, what parts should i get?

Champagnesky

Hi mates! Havent been here for while but got intrigued by a nice vietnamese 7928 dial on the bay and started thinking about maybe building one. Has anyone experience of building one and what parts are available on the market? I assume that phong is the man to go to for the midcase but are there any other alternatives? Thx in advance

Skickat från min iPhone med Tapatalk

Hi mates! Havent been here for while but got intrigued by a nice vietnamese 7928 dial on the bay and started thinking about maybe building one. Has anyone experience of building one and what parts are available on the market? I assume that phong is the man to go to for the midcase but are there any other alternatives? Thx in advance

Skickat från min iPhone med Tapatalk

Hello, you are right Jensen is the man on the mid case. I just finished my 1959 square guard build a couple of weeks ago. Not inexpensive but a very convincing example of the gilt SCG 59.

My recipe is as follows:

Phong 1959 Square Crown guards case

Phong Tudor engraved back

Singaporean dial from the bay

Decided against the 390 and installed a 2824 for ease of service.

Onlinestorehk lollipop seconds

Hour and minute hand from my parts drawer?

Yuki 7206 rivet bracelet

Aythaya 700 crown and tube

Clark 5513 bezel assembly

I believe a Clark T19 vintage (parts drawer again.)

b91133d58d215e744d2512d36412eaac.jpg3d637b7784bfa568e73812e647ca4aa9.jpg54f225cbfead1427961825e61ac79b8d.jpg

• Like 2

On 02/07/2017 at 4:43 AM, hugop said:

Hello, you are right Jensen is the man on the mid case. I just finished my 1959 square guard build a couple of weeks ago. Not inexpensive but a very convincing example of the gilt SCG 59.

My recipe is as follows:

Phong 1959 Square Crown guards case

Phong Tudor engraved back

Singaporean dial from the bay

Decided against the 390 and installed a 2824 for ease of service.

Onlinestorehk lollipop seconds

Hour and minute hand from my parts drawer?

Yuki 7206 rivet bracelet

Aythaya 700 crown and tube

Clark 5513 bezel assembly

I believe a Clark T19 vintage (parts drawer again.)

b91133d58d215e744d2512d36412eaac.jpg3d637b7784bfa568e73812e647ca4aa9.jpg54f225cbfead1427961825e61ac79b8d.jpg

looks great mate! Did the phong case need any aging or modding?

@hugop Does Phong and Jensen have different prices btw?

In theory Jensen and Phong have the same prices, but because of sales and special offers, it is always worth looking at both. I have seen some significant difference in price. The cases are very good, but do vary a bit. In my opinion they do benefit from a light tickle from someone good at case shaping. See Phong cases from Dbane, Slay and the Vietnamese cases from Rolojack.

• Like 1

4 minutes ago, Sogeha said:

In theory Jensen and Phong have the same prices, but because of sales and special offers, it is always worth looking at both. I have seen some significant difference in price. The cases are very good, but do vary a bit. In my opinion they do benefit from a light tickle from someone good at case shaping. See Phong cases from Dbane, Slay and the Vietnamese cases from Rolojack.

hmm from the images https://www.vintagewatchmaker.com/Tudor-Submariner-7928-Complete-watch-case-p/wc-13.htm all the parts look good, even the bevels on the case but I assume there has to be some kind of a QC process before or does he just send out the case?

Yes, you will receive photographs of your watch, or at least I always have. If you are not clear on some point, you can ask for more detailed pictures or indeed a different case, though I have never had to.

Good luck with your project and don't forget to document it.

• Like 1

1 minute ago, Sogeha said:

Yes, you will receive photographs of your watch, or at least I always have. If you are not clear on some point, you can ask for more detailed pictures or indeed a different case, though I have never had to.

Good luck with your project and don't forget to document it.

ok, thx for the info. Does he send from the US btw? Im in EU, wonder if I will have to pay tax then.

He/they wrap the head in foil, so Customs can't see case stamps, generally he declares a value of $100. I got caught once and Customs asked me to pay $30 on the $100, but the watch was just over $2000, so I couldn't throw the money at them fast enough???

I imagine he would lower the value to be under the Customs value for Duty. It is $25 here in Ireland. If I remember correctly, you are in Sweden? Maybe you need to triangle it? I'm sure one of the guys in the UK will help you if you need it.

Edt, yes he ships from USA 

• Like 1

1 hour ago, Sogeha said:

He/they wrap the head in foil, so Customs can't see case stamps, generally he declares a value of $100. I got caught once and Customs asked me to pay $30 on the $100, but the watch was just over $2000, so I couldn't throw the money at them fast enough???

I imagine he would lower the value to be under the Customs value for Duty. It is $25 here in Ireland. If I remember correctly, you are in Sweden? Maybe you need to triangle it? I'm sure one of the guys in the UK will help you if you need it.

Edt, yes he ships from USA 

haha ok, so there is a solution for that. Yes im in Sweden. Have you tried Tonnys cases btw?

No, I wanted to, but I missed the boat. Tony has gone legit and does not sell aftermarket parts anymore. The same cases are still available from different sources though. It seems highly likely that all these Vietnamese cases are from the same place and are hand finished. Phong and Jensen is seems, just finish them rather better.

1 minute ago, Sogeha said:

No, I wanted to, but I missed the boat. Tony has gone legit and does not sell aftermarket parts anymore. The same cases are still available from different sources though. It seems highly likely that all these Vietnamese cases are from the same place and are hand finished. Phong and Jensen is seems, just finish them rather better.

hmm, thats explains why he doesent answer my instagram DMs anymore. There are a couple of sellers on the bay from vietnam that ive been i touch with, maybe its worth checking with them again.