When you buy through links on our site, we may earn an affiliate commission.
  • Current Donation Goals

G'day. My watch story

Hey everyone. Lovely forum you have! Lots of incredible advice and definitely more variety compared to most other watch forums. 

I've been on a bit of a watch journey recently. Decided to try and fix an old Tissot watch that my father owned by myself. Succeeded in that, so I went to a few yard sales and bought a few more watches to fix up and quite enjoyed it.

After jumping on some watch blogs, I discovered a world of watches that I never knew existed. Always knew of Rolex, TAG, Omega's etc though never in my wildest dreams did I ever think there were THAT many old (as well as new) brands still around making watches. I for some reason thought it was somewhat of a dead industry that was going with the rest of history. Little did I know...

From there I became addicted to browsing hundreds of manufacturers and was in awe at the design and ingenuity that exists in these tiny mechanical machines. After a while, I got a little bored of this, seeing that (in my eyes) most manufacturers superficially have very similar designs. I next went onto reading about the history of brands and deciding on one that I liked best. I don't know whether it's all the advertising in every National Geographic magazine I read from my youth, but Rolex seems to resonate with me the most. Love the history. 

These days I'm enjoy reading about the evolution of the Rolex models as well as trying to decide which will be my first gen, as well as rep purchase. Who knows where this hobby will take me next! 

Cheers all. 

That's a fine introduction, welcome aboard!  I think you'll find your path closely parallels that of many, many members here.  We start off tinkering with watches, then comes the day we take the back off and successfully get it back on, then before you know it you've taken a movement out... and boogered up a keyless works.  You figure that out, then you're looking at swapping dials and hands... and you're hooked.

Welcome to the madness! 

• Like 1

Welcome to our community and thanks for the lovely story. I also liked the Rolex adverts in every issue of National Geographic, in fact I still have a subscription and now the is a bookcase full of yellow spines in my library.

It's a funny thing about loving vintage Rolex and getting into this "dark side" of the hobby, if you want a nice collection of vintage Rolex and have a bit to play with, a gen 16800 isn't too costly and is probably better than money in the bank. A COMEX, milsub or Paul Newman, well even if you have deep pockets, would you feel comfortable wearing in the street? A high quality rep at $2-5000 looks mighty tempting.

• Like 1

Hey everyone. Lovely forum you have! Lots of incredible advice and definitely more variety compared to most other watch forums. 

I've been on a bit of a watch journey recently. Decided to try and fix an old Tissot watch that my father owned by myself. Succeeded in that, so I went to a few yard sales and bought a few more watches to fix up and quite enjoyed it.

After jumping on some watch blogs, I discovered a world of watches that I never knew existed. Always knew of Rolex, TAG, Omega's etc though never in my wildest dreams did I ever think there were THAT many old (as well as new) brands still around making watches. I for some reason thought it was somewhat of a dead industry that was going with the rest of history. Little did I know...

From there I became addicted to browsing hundreds of manufacturers and was in awe at the design and ingenuity that exists in these tiny mechanical machines. After a while, I got a little bored of this, seeing that (in my eyes) most manufacturers superficially have very similar designs. I next went onto reading about the history of brands and deciding on one that I liked best. I don't know whether it's all the advertising in every National Geographic magazine I read from my youth, but Rolex seems to resonate with me the most. Love the history. 

These days I'm enjoy reading about the evolution of the Rolex models as well as trying to decide which will be my first gen, as well as rep purchase. Who knows where this hobby will take me next! 

Cheers all. 

Welcome to the madness that is this hobby mate. Enjoy yourself :D

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

Advice: make a 2nd bank account and feed it a little at a time. Work only from that account. Otherwise you'll wind up with a cardboard sign on a street corner... "Will work for Rolex parts"