When you buy through links on our site, we may earn an affiliate commission.
  • Current Donation Goals

Tudor 390 movement - Help to remove stem

Guest BimmerLover

Guest BimmerLover

Hello Guys,

I got a Tudor 7928 whit genuine tudor 390 movement.

It has an Athaya 702 crown & tube, i would remove it to replace whit a genuine one i already have it!

I have always do small work on my other watches and also do the same thing on 1520 on a franken 5513 so i'm not worried to do it, but i never have it in hand a Tudor 390 movmement and not know how to do it.

I believe i just need to unscrew the small screw circled in red, but i'm not sure and not know if to save issue i have to do whit crown in setting time position or winding position.

If someone have do it or know how to do it i really appreciate some help :-)

tmp_21171-20170709_162616293041168.jpg

Edited by BimmerLover

Guest BimmerLover

Thank you so much for the help! I will do it as said by automatico whit stem pulled all the way out like said by mymanmatt!

The right screw is the one circled in Yellow (for future reference)

Thank you again for the help guys :-)

tmp_8999-20170709_2315512112043061.jpg

Edited by BimmerLover

Sure glad Automatico chimed in, I wuz gonna suggest Vise-Grips! 

On that screw you don't want to back it out too far or it will let go of the lever...

"Sure glad Automatico chimed in, I wuz gonna suggest Vise-Grips!"

I have a big V-G welded to a slide hammer...it'll make 'em come, bleed, or blister.  

I have not seen it all but...

Saw a kitchen table watch fixer set the date on a slow set watch by running the crown down a yardstick with belt sander paper glued on it. 

Saw a cheapo fake submariner buried in a blob of Bondo with just the case sticking out at a body shop one time.  They shook it up to make it run and used the bezel for a Bondo timer.

Why didn't I think of that?   :pimp:

I understand the plasma cutter can sometimes leave a slightly coarse finish on the tube. You'll want to dress those threads a little before you try the crown again.

That has been my experience. After many years with the plasma cutter, I have developed quite a delicate touch, but some remedial work is always necessary. The first time I used one was long ago on my apprenticeship, when we successfully cut a fellow student's car in half. The look on his face when he saw it in the car park was something I will never forget. Another apprentice had rebuilt an old car and was very proud of it. We thought it might be a bit of a wheeze to wrap the whole thing in industrial clingfilm. Then some bright spark suggested we got a fork truck and lifted the whole car into the air and left it there. Jolly funny that was too, until the fork truck fell over........

I don't think apprenticeship involves such a deep understanding of the limits of tools and machinery these days sadly 

5 hours ago, automatico said:

"Sure glad Automatico chimed in, I wuz gonna suggest Vise-Grips!"

Saw a kitchen table watch fixer set the date on a slow set watch by running the crown down a yardstick with belt sander paper glued on it. 

That's a bit drastic, I was thinking more in the line of chucking the crown in an electric drill and lettin' 'er rip!

• Like 1

"Jolly funny that was too, until the fork truck fell over........"

Fun with fork trucks!

I dumped three (3) new in the crate Kawasaki 1600 Vulcan Nomad Garbage Wagons off a fork truck from up high, then ran into them.  Was running WFO and had them up high so I could see where I was going.  Cracked a lot of Tupperware. 

Garbage Wagon = dresser with baddle sags, shinweild, brash cars etc.

The Boss said "What the Flak happened?"  I said "You can't be in the Ichiban Club without breaking some eggs."  Good thing I have known him since he was 3 years old.   :pimp:

I still held the destructo record when I quit 11 years ago.  Second place was a guy who dumped three (3) new Yamadog WaveRapers.  Dumped one on the roll cage when he took off and two more when he slammed the brakes on to see what happened.  They were not damaged...much.

That chainsaw winder is a pretty good idea.

• Like 1