When you buy through links on our site, we may earn an affiliate commission.
  • Current Donation Goals

My TT submariner has a eta 2834 instead of a 2836?

Timelord

Greetings fellows 

some time ago! I purchased a two tone submariner from a fellow member and it has been a great work horse,  When I opened it up to reattach one of the batons that had fallen off I noticed that the eta stamp read 2834-2 instead of 2836- which all of my other ones have and that everyone else here speaks about.

Has as anyone ever noticed this in any of their reps as my understanding is that only a 2836 would work because of the room for the date wheel overlay to function without rubbing against anything.    I am aware that a 2824 will not work either because of the lack of space under the dial since the canon pinion would be too short, but a 2834 has the exterior day wheel which sits above the date wheel which is just as bizarre .:bangin:  It is puzzling to me unless the wrong number was stamped on the ebauche ???  I would appreciate some education from you guys more familiar on this!!!

thanks heaps!!!!

I have a 2834-2 in a sub of mine- it is a from an old knock-off that I got around 2006. So I figure that it's a swiss eta. I think the day wheel was removed and a DWO installed. I installed it in a St 3035 case with a matte 16800 dial and used the #2 rafflestime ring. I also have a swiss 2836-2 movement in a watch that is a Rolex DD rep so I figure the two movements are so close they can go either way.  

33 minutes ago, alligoat said:

I have a 2834-2 in a sub of mine- it is a from an old knock-off that I got around 2006. So I figure that it's a swiss eta. I think the day wheel was removed and a DWO installed. I installed it in a St 3035 case with a matte 16800 dial and used the #2 rafflestime ring. I also have a swiss 2836-2 movement in a watch that is a Rolex DD rep so I figure the two movements are so close they can go either way.  

Very interesting indeed!!!!  I wonder how that was possible as my understanding is that a date wheel overlay only works well on a 2836 because of it's construction.  How it is possible for a 2834 to work the same sends my head in a tailspin as  datewheel is  below day wheel disk making it so much like the eta 2824.:bangin:

Edited by horologist

2834 is much preferred  The fact that the day wheel is over the date wheel allows more room than the 2836 for the dwo. The 2 movements are exactly the same but for a taller cannon pinion than the 2836. Better hand stack. I always use them when I can find them.

• Like 1

5 hours ago, mymanmatt said:

2834 is much preferred  The fact that the day wheel is over the date wheel allows more room than the 2836 for the dwo. The 2 movements are exactly the same but for a taller cannon pinion than the 2836. Better hand stack. I always use them when I can find them.

Thanks for pointing that out!!!!  I know that the date only mvt 2824 is not preferred because the DWO would not work well on it, but if one were to replace the canon pinion with a higher one as with the 2834', it should eliminate the problem with the 2824 which could then also be a good candidate for the DWO to work without problems?

On 15 July 2017 at 9:58 AM, mymanmatt said:

So once the day wheel disk is removed can you still use the same plastic spacer for the DWO or would you have to use the one that comes for the eta 2836?