When you buy through links on our site, we may earn an affiliate commission.
  • Current Donation Goals

Why I love quality reps

Sogeha

Today has been my usual busy mix of activities. Breakfast and across the fields with the dogs, walking around two cities, driving, buying fuel, shopping, a workout and a factory visit. I remember checking the time on my watch before leaving the house. Mid evening, I'm finally approaching home and called in on a friend. As we were talking,  glanced down at my watch. After a long moment of disbelief I realised the bezel was missing. Recounting all the places I had been, the chances of finding it were approximately zero. I was annoyed because I have spent the last twelve months giving that watch some wear and tear so it looks like a well cared for 1962 model. On the other hand it is a rep, so I could just order a new part from Phong and away we go again.

I was very lucky, as I opened the car door, I spotted my bezel in the gutter. Saved! But it might not have been and what if it had been genuine? The insert alone could run to four figures and how easy would it be to find a bezel? 

I'm feeling very smug wearing reps tonight 

I hear ya, buddy. I spent years splitting firewood with an old timer who wore a 6536/1 every day. I commented on it a few times and he would complain that the "turny thing on top" was always coming off and he had a brass trim ring stuck on instead of a bezel.

When he passed on his widow gave it to me. It was beat nearly to death and took 20+ years to pretty much get it right again.

You have no idea how many times I've walked his property and searched his garage and wood splitting yard for that bezel.

OP: haha, u just did some 'aging' ! 'vintagizing' !

i love how reps allow us all to actually use watches.

I'm sorry, i've owned a couple vintage rollies, and i've never taken one up a glacier or even fly fishing or cycling on fire roads.

I'm not rich enough to risk that kind of thing.

Reps? I'll rock climb in them.

nanuq:

holy sh----- what a story.

also: you have a 6536????????????

Edited by porschespeedster