When you buy through links on our site, we may earn an affiliate commission.
  • Current Donation Goals

Story of a 12-year old replica watch

By-Tor

Some old timers might remember me. I was a rep and gen watch enthusiast for years. I still am, but I haven't purchased anything new in years. The last replica watch I bought was Breitling B01, which I sold later.

I have a few gens. Rolex GMT 16710, Breilting Steelfish Superocean, Omega Seamaster Bond, TAG Aquaracer Automatic Chrono, Rolex Submariner 14060 and some cheap shit like Invicta, etc.

I still have my favorite reps too. Ebel Panda Discovery, Rolex WM9 v2  Sub (with gen insert) and this old thing.

GfE2fxi.jpg

I got this watch from Eddie Lee (as a gift) back in 2005 (if I remember correctly). It was brand spanking new back then and for some weird reason it came with a genuine looking ETA datewheel. All other versions of this watch that I ever saw had the lousy A7550 default date font. 

I've never opened the watch. Maybe EL sent me a Swiss 7750 version. I have no idea. 

All I know the watch has been worn every week since 2005. Every damn week... sometimes twice or three days in a row. 

Guess what... it's still working like a charm. No service, nothing. When my son was born 7 years ago another RWG.cc member sent me genuine insert for it. That pretty much "perfected" it.

Back in the day I saw them all. But this might be one of the most accurate and best reps ever. Of course the Bond SMP Chrono is not expensive as a gen in the second hand market anymore but despite loving this model I never even thought about buying the gen. Some gen hour markers get more yellowish after some years of use, I can't really tell them apart visually. The HE valve in chrono version SHOULD be on par with the '10 hour marker (unlike the standard SMP). 

The only difference is that the gen uses pins in the bracelet (and the rep has screws). I have a pin spare bracelet but never bothered to change. I have the standard Bond (gen) and the overall quality feel isn't much off, either.

What I'm trying to say is that these can be pretty good watches. :)

6F8pl7N.jpg
  • Like 4

Totally agree!!!!!!!!!

i purchased my first replica in 2004 with endless thanks to my fellow forum member Automatico who helped me as a I was very ignorant about this whole new world that has given me many years of pleasure.

i bought my first blue sunburst submariner and a couple of Bond omegas for my brother and late father that have been true workhorses having experienced the worst sort of punishment imaginable and are still ticking fine!!!!!!

There has been so much controversial discussions over the years where these quiet ticking heroes  have been labelled as junk by all sorts, but from my experience they can be the best secret in town!!!!  Sure enough the quality control can be an issue, but then again I have purchased new quality licensed products that have also been duds!!! I wished every area of life had  a world like this hobby!!!! Keep enjoying  to good health!!!!

• Like 1

I have several Seamaster Chronos, both gen and rep. These are very close to gen out of the box. Great to see By-Tor posting again. I read many of your reviews with great interest. 

• Like 1

Richard!!!!!!! 

Indeed great to see you my friend.  One of my first reps ever was purchased from Richard.

And thanks, all. I'm trying to find the "bug" again. :)

• Like 2

If any proof to how good a quality some of these "replica" pieces are, ii will leave the following images to be judged by the eye of the beholder.  

This is my first bue sunburst model I purchased in 2004 from Paul known at the time as aspire.  All thanks to our fellow emeritus member AUTOMATICO.  I Have worn this every day since I purchased it and serviced it only once in 2011 and  I have gone swimming and diving with it without a problem.  It has had the crown and tube changed to a generic one as I could not get the correct one with the rolex emblem from anywhere!!

image.thumb.jpg.935254e7ae82e79f843e936b634271df.jpg

The next one is one I purchased for my father for his 75th birthday in  2004 from Silix  (Jay and Angel) when Paul's website disappeared.   My dad  loved it so much and  it never left his arm.  Although he was retired, he was still servicing marine boat engines and this watch took a lot of punishment as you can see from all the scratches and the missing original bracelet.  Knowing Dad he also used it under water.  I took it for a service a couple of weeks before he died and  was always asking me about it.  Sadly, he never got to see it where ironically the watchmaker phoned me on the day of his funeral to pick it up.  I have left it untouched as a relic since as it has traveled with him to London, Italy and Australia which makes it very priceless to me being more valuable than any genuine.  If quality control is a issue here, then all products should come with eternal warranties

image.thumb.jpg.cc919100e1658250d154382db21f2747.jpg

• Like 4

I have left it untouched as a relic since as it has traveled with him to London, Italy and Australia which makes it very priceless to me being more valuable than any genuine.

Amen brother.

Hello there By-Tor. Welcome back.

I have the same bought around 2005 as we.....And 30 or 40 more from the same period when I couldn't resist the new models coming out. Most still run fine and they get worn every month.  These Reps are actually more accurate than a few of the Gens I have,LOL.

• Like 1

My gen Breitling Steelfish broke recently. I had to fix it in the Breitling AD. Mut my reps have never failed me. My WM9 Sub v2 power reserve is probably just 20 hours or so but it's working perfectly. :D

I have this gen no-date 14060 but I wear my WM9 more. 

SzYIKDF.jpg

On 16 July 2017 at 0:47 AM, horologist said:

If any proof to how good a quality some of these "replica" pieces are, ii will leave the following images to be judged by the eye of the beholder.  

This is my first bue sunburst model I purchased in 2004 from Paul known at the time as aspire.  All thanks to our fellow emeritus member AUTOMATICO.  I Have worn this every day since I purchased it and serviced it only once in 2011 and  I have gone swimming and diving with it without a problem.  It has had the crown and tube changed to a generic one as I could not get the correct one with the rolex emblem from anywhere!!

image.thumb.jpg.935254e7ae82e79f843e936b634271df.jpg

The next one is one I purchased for my father for his 75th birthday in  2004 from Silix  (Jay and Angel) when Paul's website disappeared.   My dad  loved it so much and  it never left his arm.  Although he was retired, he was still servicing marine boat engines and this watch took a lot of punishment as you can see from all the scratches and the missing original bracelet.  Knowing Dad he also used it under water.  I took it for a service a couple of weeks before he died and  was always asking me about it.  Sadly, he never got to see it where ironically the watchmaker phoned me on the day of his funeral to pick it up.  I have left it untouched as a relic since as it has traveled with him to London, Italy and Australia which makes it very priceless to me being more valuable than any genuine.  If quality control is a issue here, then all products should come with eternal warranties

image.thumb.jpg.cc919100e1658250d154382db21f2747.jpg

Very touching and emotional story.!!!!! Especially about your dad, bringing me close to tears in missing my late father!! It is posts like this that make belonging to this forum being beyond the love of a watch and  even more bizarre -replica watches or knock offs - whatever labels one puts on them!! I don't want to hijack this thread as  By-Tor's original post is along the same lines.  Lovely post by him too! I have both genuine submariner and a rep SSD V2 seadweller modified by Jakjo with all the hand made works including a genuine eta.  I value both very highly and really see little difference between both in terms of quality especially with all the attention done by the modder. I have never had an issue with my rep and it too has been a true workhorse, no different to any other genuine made watch.  I suppose if I replace the dial with a sterile one, it would be seen astronomically differently by the critics.  It can all Boil down to marketing where it is all in the mind.  It would take a room full of head shrinks to sort that one.  As you said quality control with high quality items letting you down, just says t is the luck of he draw.  Thanks for sharing!!!

Such a walk down memory lane, I used to love the SMP Chrono. I left my reps at home in the UK when I relocated to Aus so sadly miss them! The WM9 Sub really changed my views on Rolex as a brand!

I remember the Breitling SOSF (or SFSO!?) as being the watch that really made me realise how good the rep quality was getting, and it was Bytors review that instigated that purchase :)

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

• Like 1

Amazing. All you old friends in the same thread.

I'm planning to stay around this time. I just bought my first rep in years. :)

I think I have owned this before. Haha. 

XCrKQtv.png

• Like 1

Definitely stick around this time, the old timers that pop in are the heart and soul of "who" we are here.  It's that culture of brotherhood and sharp elbows that keeps us honest.  :boxing:

• Like 2

I'd love to buy a new Rolex rep. 

But the Hulks and Batmans (or whatever fat lugs models) are just plain BORING. They do nothing for me. New white Explorer II is the only one that grabs me at all.

It was like transformation from PERFECT Jaguar E-Type to XJS. Or Porsche 993 to 996. The new ones weren't awful but they destroyed the classic lines and noses.

Prepare yourself... are you sitting down?

Yes, I went over to the dark side.  The watches that I scorned as boring and pedantic all these years have suddenly become ... interesting.  Check this out.

IMG_8841.JPG

WL1.JPG

WL3.JPG