When you buy through links on our site, we may earn an affiliate commission.
  • Current Donation Goals

will oem crystal ring and crystal work on a Silix sub case?

Timelord

Greetings to all! :)

I have a 16610 replica which was originally purchased from Silix sitting in one of my drawers which I had totally forgotten about.  Probably because the ""sapphire"" crystal strangely popped out at one stage and I never did anything about it  -  one weak point that I cannot be too defensive when it comes to replicas.  I still have both crystal and gasket (which I skeptical of) i.e  the crystal is pressed into the gasket as opposed to having a crystal ring pressing on oem gasket. 

I recently came across to someone in my town who has a crystal ring which is made for the generic sapphire crystals to fit genuine models.  If I am not mistaken this crystal has an indent on the edge of the crystal which sits perfectly into the seal seat which is pressed in by crystal ring.  Crystal  measures  approx. 30.4mm which I believe is fairly standard . 

My question is if anyone has ever replaced their replica case crystal with one that is made for a genuine so that the crystal ring will allow the bezel to be snapped on it without a problem????:bangin:  Thanks for any input!!!!! 

I doubt it will work. You need a case with gen-like construction and the Silix ain't it. Old WM9s, very late model MBKs, Sean, TC, WM1-3s are the cases you need.

Even the BP 16610 has to be modified (in a lathe) to accept a gen crystal and retention ring.  

2 hours ago, alligoat said:

Even the BP 16610 has to be modified (in a lathe) to accept a gen crystal and retention ring.  

Thanks millions!!!!!!

was just about to buy one as a backup to go with a genuine crystal setup.!!!!!! 

If I am not mistaken, I believe that the SSD V2 modified by Jackjo had this setup.  I don't exactly remember as those had working HEV valves as opposed to ones that are just cosmetic.

I believe that the Steinhart submariners and the Squale submariners also have a crystal retaining ring set up as they are suppose to be water resistant up to 300 meters.   I have never really come across to a genuine submariner lookalike watch of any other brand that uses the press in crystal.  Someone that has can fill me in on this ??????:bangin:

I guess that this is one of the reasons why most submariner replicas can be frowned upon as not being water resistant beyond a dip in the bucket or a swim or dive in shallow water. 

The submariner replicas that use acrylic crystals have the same sort of set up as the genuine vintage acrylic crystal subs, making them a more closer cousin to the 1680 and 551X  terms of water resistant quality. 

You would be better off buying a new generic case with crystal already inserted as the crystal and seal would not be that much cheaper.  If someone cannot help you here, there are lots of them on ebay.  Good luck!!!!

Here's a rolex replacement case from Star Time Supply

http://www.startimesupply.com/merchant2/merchant.mvc?Screen=PROD&Store_Code=1&Product_Code=RSCSS&Category_Code=1_07_1D_Rolex_Case

only problem is buying from Star Time- they can be snooty and not sell to you if you're not a watchmaker. Also, you'd need a crystal, bezel, click spring and washer. Also insert, case tube and crown.

Buying a TC case would be probably cheaper but Tc is on hiatus at this point.

On 28 July 2017 at 10:47 AM, horologist said:

I believe that the Steinhart submariners and the Squale submariners also have a crystal retaining ring set up as they are suppose to be water resistant up to 300 meters.   I have never really come across to a genuine submariner lookalike watch of any other brand that uses the press in crystal.  Someone that has can fill me in on this ??????:bangin:

If you look at this youtube video of the person removing the bezel on the steinhart Ocean one which I believe is the model you are referring to

You will notice that around frame 1.10 to frame 1.12 just before the vid ends you will see that it is unlikely that there is a crystal retaining ring as the shoulder of the crystal wall mount is at 90 degrees to the top of the watch case. This is consistent with the same setup that some of the seiko divers 200 have which have the crystal just pressed in.  However this steinhart model is suppose to be water resistant to 300metres witch also appears to be press fitted only.  I recall reading somewhere many drinks ago, that someone had it both dry pressure tested and wet tested and passed !!!!  So possibly, the crystal retaining ring is just extra reassurance and not necessarily a must

On 29 July 2017 at 10:48 PM, alligoat said:

Here's a rolex replacement case from Star Time Supply

http://www.startimesupply.com/merchant2/merchant.mvc?Screen=PROD&Store_Code=1&Product_Code=RSCSS&Category_Code=1_07_1D_Rolex_Case

only problem is buying from Star Time- they can be snooty and not sell to you if you're not a watchmaker. Also, you'd need a crystal, bezel, click spring and washer. Also insert, case tube and crown.

Buying a TC case would be probably cheaper but Tc is on hiatus at this point.

As far as I know, Star Time Supply are wholesalers and only sell to those that have a parts account that usually order from them  for a living as opposed to those that are not watchmakers.

Interestingly, their solid gold sub comes complete with bezel minus insert and I cannot help wondering why the stainless see one doesn't .  Great stuff to say the least.  Yuki also had a case which is now discontinued, but am not sure if it has a removable crystal ring?

Edited by horologist
Spelling