When you buy through links on our site, we may earn an affiliate commission.
  • Current Donation Goals

Gen dial fit rep case?

sukiv

Hello all (again)

Sorry for being such a pain in the butt by asking so many questions. 

Promise that once I gather enough knowledge (which would probably be no more than that of yours) I'll be sharing my knowledge as well.

But for now, I have some questions...

I am wondering if I could fit a gen Datejust 1601 dial into a 36mm made for ETA 2836 case? [intend to buy from Rafflesdial]

And if so, will i need a spacer / movement ring to get everything into place?

I found some threads about 1601 franken but couldn't get a hold of the writer.

So, I really want your experienced guidance.

Thank you so much in advance.

It looks like the website says the cases accept 28mm dial. 

looking at a few ebay listings (search "Rolex Datejust 1601 28mm Black Index Dial for 36mm Non-Quick Set Watch Models") it looks like the diameter on a gen dial is 28mm.

If that is correct, then you are fine.

What movement are you intending on using? If non-gen (eta 2836, for example), you will have to clip the dial feet and attach the dial using dial dots. Either that or modify the base plate of the movement to accept gen dial feet (this is notably more difficult). It's likely the 2836 will need a movement ring. Knowing raffles, the case probably comes with the movement.

26 minutes ago, Revere said:

It looks like the website says the cases accept 28mm dial. 

looking at a few ebay listings (search "Rolex Datejust 1601 28mm Black Index Dial for 36mm Non-Quick Set Watch Models") it looks like the diameter on a gen dial is 28mm.

If that is correct, then you are fine.

What movement are you intending on using? If non-gen (eta 2836, for example), you will have to clip the dial feet and attach the dial using dial dots. Either that or modify the base plate of the movement to accept gen dial feet (this is notably more difficult). It's likely the 2836 will need a movement ring. Knowing raffles, the case probably comes with the movement.

Thank you so much for the reply. It seems that I've just asked something very silly. (yes 28mm dial should fit a case that accepts 28mm).

Yes, I'm intending on using eta 2836 movement. I've seen many threads mentioning cutting the dial feet, but no one seems to mention how to do so... (or I might missed it)

I wonder is it a clip to make it shorter or a clip to make it thinner? And for the dial dots, how can I know which size to choose from?

Thank you so much in advance.

"I am wondering if I could fit a gen Datejust 1601 dial into a 36mm made for ETA 2836 case?"

Anyone ever wonder why they made the 'pie pan' dials in the first place?

Because in the 1960s 'thin was in' and they made the 'pie pan' dial so the movement could be mounted higher in the case in order for the watch case to be made thinner.  Omega 'pie pan' Constellations of this era were made the same way for the same reason.

That being said, when using a 'pie pan' dial with an aftmkt case made for an eta 2836, there should be plenty of room for it all to go together.  Maybe someone on the forum has made up a watch with a genuine 'pan' dial and an eta 2824 or 2836 and will chime in with how it went.  I have never put a watch like this together so I am no help.  I have stuck a few later model sapphire DJ projects together and I always use an eta 2836 because there is more room for the DWO. 

Looks like the main question is:  Does it need a 2824 or 2836?  I do not know for sure but I do know this...a 1575 date movement with a 'flat top' dial will fit into a case made for a 3035 date movement and flat top dial.  One example is a 1575 movement and 'flat top' dial from a reference 1500 will fit right into a 15000 case made for a 3035.  So...(by deduction), if a 2836 with a 'flat top' dial will fit into a rolex case made for a 1575 (genuine spec 1680 for example), it means a 2836 should fit in your DJ project case made for a 2836 although the 'pie pan' dial might allow the movement to mount a fraction of a mm higher in the case. 

What this all boils down to is you might have to try to find details on a similar project on the forum or wait for a member to give an answer...StoneP comes to mind.

https://rwg.cc/topic/182885-super-franken-rolex-datejust-1601/#comment-1458304

"It's likely the 2836 will need a movement ring."

Yes, a spacer similar to what is needed for putting an eta in a 1680 because except for the dial size, 1600 and 1680 cases are are the same internally.  Something else to consider is a date wheel overlay...you will need one and they come with their own set of obstacles, fully explained on the forums. 

I just now measured a genuine 1601 dial and it is 27.9mm in diameter.

• Like 1