When you buy through links on our site, we may earn an affiliate commission.
  • Current Donation Goals

Is it a good idea to buy a rep watch and mod it from there (for First Project)

sukiv

I found someone suggested in a thread that it's easier to buy a rep watch and mod it from there.

The model I (finally) intend to go for is 16014 or maybe 16234. As I want a Datejust and don't want to make things more complicated by using a Pie Pan dial and having to chop its feet.

Also, being as inexperienced as I am and a girl who never really handle any tools in my entire life, I doubt my ability to put everything together. 

But I think I can remove dial and attach a new one. 

So I'm thinking of purchasing Silix rep and replace the dial with gen one. Then go on to replacing with gen crown, gen bracelet, and so on.

Is it a good idea? Or will I face many complications as I do?

I would say buy the watch and enjoy it. Continue to read here on the forum for another month or so. This will help you realize it is not easy to mod. You will screw things up as everyone has done. Then if you still want to change the dial , you can attempt yourself or have someone else do it for you. Don't be in a rush, enjoy the forum and the hobby and have fun. Welcome!

Sent from my XT1254 using Tapatalk

• Like 1

47 minutes ago, cpd2186 said:

I would say buy the watch and enjoy it. Continue to read here on the forum for another month or so. This will help you realize it is not easy to mod. You will screw things up as everyone has done. Then if you still want to change the dial , you can attempt yourself or have someone else do it for you. Don't be in a rush, enjoy the forum and the hobby and have fun. Welcome!

Sent from my XT1254 using Tapatalk

Hello, nice to meet you and thank you for the advice. I know that it is not easy and admire all of you who have not only the knowledge but also the courage to do so. The thing is I can never be satisfy with a rep. There has to be something wrong. And as my budget is not enough for me to attain the unattainable rolex, which has always been my dream watch, I decided to build one. Since I've been waiting for so long now, I think I'm prepared to mess up. 

For now, I think I would not get that rep because the size is just wrong. Will find one that the size is right, maybe buy just the case so as to save money for the problems that may occur and will research more as you suggested!

Thank you :)

To get the dial fit onto a rep movement you have to literaly destroy the dial (well...at least it's value since the dial feet have to be removed)...are you really prepared for this...you don't sound like you are...

Sent from my wooden drums via Tupperware!

7 hours ago, docthor said:

To get the dial fit onto a rep movement you have to literaly destroy the dial (well...at least it's value since the dial feet have to be removed)...are you really prepared for this...you don't sound like you are...

Will I need to be removing the dial feet if the movement is a clone 3135 with exact dimension?

26 minutes ago, rene said:

But why not buy a BP DJ 41 with Rolex clone. This model accept gen dial and crystal.

Datejust 41 is 39.5mm, I believe? I intend to go for 16014 / 16234 model which has the case diameter of 36mm (and the dial diameter of 28mm).

So I don't think Datejust 41 will accept the dial of those model? Am I right or am I wrong?

No... But I would go for the BP DJ V2 126334 for example, with the new jubilee watchband and source your gen parts on that model. It is a lot easier because this model takes gen parts like crystal, dial and not for sure bezel. Either way as mentioned before, it's a difficult task to do some mod's yourself if you never used tools before especially on the model that you prefer

Thanks all! Things are much clearer now. Glad I built this thread :)

One last question guys,

I just found this 116234 rep on intime. It's said to have a SA3135 clone where I can swap parts to gen. Will this also work (in the case that I didn't go for the DJ 41)?

IMG_2394.JPG

Yes it will...but...keep in mind that you can't get any spare parts for the SA3135 and that it won't take gen Rolex parts other than the DW (I don't count dial, hands and crown to the movement). I've read that some source a second SA3135 just in case...good luck and lotsa fun...the chase for the parts is the best with this hobby