When you buy through links on our site, we may earn an affiliate commission.
  • Current Donation Goals

new source for vintage rolex dials???

rolojack

"Ruby reply today , 1680 case is 680$+50$ custom engraving+shipping."

Just for fun, here are some of my cases with prices from the past:

March 2011 - like new Yuki 1680 case...$420 from 'Stilty'.  Traded it for a like new Phong 1655 case/dial with a member.  Still have the 1655 case...stalled out for a long time by GMT movement parts search.  Finally have all the parts...around $2500 so far including 1575 movement/GMT parts etc.

August 2011 - used DW 5513 case, no case back...$50.  Put a 'River' case back from sapphire Exp II and Clark bezel kit on it.  Had a 1520 with Yuki dial in it for a while.  Put the mvt in an MBK 5513.  Still have the DW case.

March 2012 - two new MBK 1680 watches from Narikaa...$800 for the pair, delivered.  Put a 1575 and Yuki dial in one case for a while, other watch is still complete.  One had a nice 93150 bracelet with hollow mid links, other had 93150 with solid mid links.  Dials were Ok but had been roughly ground down to fit in 26.0mm dial seat.  Machined the dial window for the 26.5mm 1680 dial.

2011/2012 - about 10 new assorted DW cases, some 5513, some 1680, some unmarked.  Paid $150 to $200 for them.  All are 1680 spec.  Still have them.  A lot of posts probably still up about them. 

September 2013 - one new IG44 1680 case from a member, $300.  Best finished case of them all (that I have).  The lugs have a slight 'canoe' shape (side view).  Have a no hack 1575 and early genuine 1680 dial for it...the mvt/dial combo is in a DW case now.

May 2014 - one 5513 and one 5512 case from Yuki plus one 'free' dial...$1100 for it all.  Very good cases.  Still have them.

January 2017 - complete new MBK 5512 watch with 2836 etaclone and bracelet (oyster with riveted on side plates and solid links) from RWG member...$400.  Put a Yuki dial and rolex 1570 in it.

Notes:

All MBK cases (5512/13, 1680) that I have are genuine rolex 1680 spec except they are made for a 26.0mm dial.  If you make a 5512/13 with rolex 15xx movement you will need to use a 1575 date calendar spacer, center wheel, and cp.

All DW cases (5513, 1680) that I have are genuine 1680 spec and all have a dial seat/window made for a 26.5mm dial.  If you make up a 5512/13 you will have to use the date parts same as with an MBK case and there will be a space between the outer edge of the dial and case because of the 1680 spec 26.5mm dial and 26.0mm 5512/13 dial.  I have seen pictures and read about early genuine 5512 with a space showing.  Someone could make up a pretty good early 5512 with the dial gap and PCG and the rounded sides would add to the character.

http://www.network54.com/Forum/207593/thread/1468292473/last-1468326320/View+All

DW cases are high quality but the sides are rounded like a DJ, not flat, giving them an 'aged' look.  The lug holes may be a hair too close to the lug tops when drilled out to 1.3mm or so.  The case necks are a hair too small and it is hard to find a 1680 crystal that fits exactly.  Making up a 5512/13 is not as bad because T19 crystals come in many sizes (GS crystals for example).  DW watches came with 'spring wire' bezels and need a Clark, ST etc. bezel kit.  The engraved numbers are Ok but many are unmarked.  Some DW cases have undersize case back threads...oem is 30.9mm, some DW are 30.4mm.  This is Ok as long as you have a set.

MBK cases are very high quality but have laser engraving.

In my experience Yuki cases are first class quality, same goes for my one Phong 1655 case.

IG44 is hard to beat but IG44 is looong gone.

I would spend the $$ on a good case if you want a watch to keep.  Get one that is OEM spec so if you decide to put a genuine movement in it now or later.

A Yuki etc. case with good dial and genuine movement will probably cost between $2200 and $2700 now because of jacked up prices.  You could start out with an ETA 2846 or something and dial made for an ETA then go with a genuine movement later if you want something to wear while looking for a genuine movement etc. 

Be a good idea to stay away from 'big crown'  projects with 1030 base rolex movements because of high $$ parts.  The rolex 15xx parts situation is not too bad...yet.  ETA is a LOT cheaper.

Here is the info on one of my MBK 5513 projects a few years ago, 2011 or 2012 iirc (I have posted this before).  It ended up costing about $1300.  I still have it but it is apart.
$300 or less for case (can not remember exactly)
$102 for Yuki dial
$25 for TC tube and crown
$12 for ST hands
$650 for 26 jewel rolex 1520 mvt
$20 for mainspring etc
$0 for c/o  (did it myself)
$85 for fake 358 hoods and put together '93150' bracelet, also have a folded oyster from 'Mary' that adds up to about the same
$12 for GS crystal
$68 for ST bezel kit (better fit than MBK bez with the GS crystal that was used)
$25 misc...springbars, gaskets, case screws etc

Had to use a 1575 date center wheel/cp and calendar spacer on the 1520 because the MBK 5513 case is made to 1680 spec, not 5513 spec. Extra cost is included with movement.
The center sweep sec pivot is the same on 1520 and 1575, the 1575 second hand has a longer tube.

Edited by automatico
changed a detail
  • Like 3
  • Thanks 1

Tks! a lot of info Automatico some new (for me) other that I already read in other 3d/forum.

I’m more for the 1680 (already I have a cartel mod by RA with gen dial and 2846) but in the future I want improve it.

What about the yuki case that you have sold ?

I have read that the newest case isn’t like the old one (problem with glued tube if I remember correctly )

"What about the Yuki case that you have sold?  I have read that the newest case isn’t like the old one (problem with glued tube if I remember correctly)."

The 1680 case was traded away in March or April 2011 not long after I got it and iirc the first case that 'Stilty' got had a problem...glued case tube maybe?  Do not remember.  The Yuki 1680 case I got from 'Stilty' was Ok. 

Far as I know the glued case tubes were a long time ago and everything Yuki sells now is just fine.  My Yuki 5512 and 5513 case tube threads look good from inside the case with no sign of glue.

BTW...all of my MBK cases have the O ring groove in the top of the case for a gasket under the lower (crystal retaining) bezel, my Yuki cases do not.  This makes little difference but I did put O ring gaskets in the MBK cases that I used.  Early genuine cases did not have the groove for the extra gasket. 

Something else...my MBK cases are not machined to oem specs where the gasket goes between the case tube and case.  The gasket seat in the case is too small to accept an oem gasket.  I used a smaller gasket and bought a cutter bit to cut the gasket seat but never did.  Do not know what the Yuki cases have as I have not removed the case tubes.

• Like 1

• 3 weeks later...
I have been communicating with Ruby but, the dialogue runs on and I don't seem to get the payment information. Do you know if Ruby could accept PP?

Also, Ruby asked me to communicate via whatsApp... is she okay?
I paid her by PayPal and my stuff arrived to the UK within 5days (shipped from New York) so I'd say she's ok mate

Sent from my Lenovo P2a42 using Tapatalk

• 2 weeks later...
  • 3 weeks later...
8 minutes ago, 2pac said:
I mean with eta movement, where you find a really good open 6&9 date wheel?

Check out a DWO that a member named @calvin951121 on here, he made some decent roulette (red and black) with open 6&9’s for ETA.

I think he was on this thread too.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

Edited by nycrounders
  • Like 1

• 2 weeks later...

Does anyone know if Ruby's 1680 / 5512/ 5513 cases have that gasket channel around the rehaut and beneath the crystal retainer like gen?

e.g. like this one below. I whatsapp-ed her but she doesn't seem to understand my message.
rare-vintage-red-1680-rolex-submariner-d

Edited by godkiller

2 minutes ago, calvin951121 said:

Haha, yes i locate in hong kong and i mod watches.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk Pro

wow a modder from Hong Kong is rare. Everywhere I go, everyone wears a gen in Hong Kong - i haven't even seen a fake one inside a crowded MTR yet

If you see someone wearing a 1680 with jubilee bracelet... then it's likely me lol