When you buy through links on our site, we may earn an affiliate commission.
  • Current Donation Goals

Genuine Navitimer A13022

gt_lad

Hi all. First time in the Breitling arena in the hope I might get some help. I have just acquired a gen 1995 Old Navitimer, through very sad circumstances. It hasn't been serviced in about 10yrs and feel it's well worth having a full service/refurbishment so intend shipping it to Breitling UK (pricey, ouch!). Upon close inspection I've noticed a small scratch in the crystal but more strangely, the dial is looking rather poor on most edges. Has anyone seen this on gens before? Also, before I send it, any ideas on the cost to replace either item? Adding to that, some say keeping watches original is better than replacing everything, keeping it true to form despite condition... any thoughts?? Regards, Mark.

20170731_225040.jpg

20170731_225126.jpg

First, I'm sorry for the sad conditions under which you acquired it.

If it was up to me, I'd have the movement serviced by one of our trusted modders and have it thoroughly cleaned, and that's all. I wouldn't touch it other than that. You'll find the wear and signs of use will become more precious over time.

I believe the "keep everything original" is more Rolex vintage-related stuff. 

Rolex service can confiscate and replace some extremely valuable dials, for example. Then they can polish classic ones and screw them up (in collector's eyes). Rolex is a fascist organization. I've lost all respect for them lately. Couldn't care LESS about their current lineup. But that's for another story.

I wouldn't touch the dings, either. Your watch looks like two-tone so it's a bit different but original Navitimer is kinda tool watch, despite the polished bracelet. Dings are just handsome and give the watch some character. Lovely Navitimer... it's a legend!