When you buy through links on our site, we may earn an affiliate commission.
  • Current Donation Goals

Second chance...

automatico

I have posted a few times about the old DW submariner cases with the rounded sides as being 'Pot Belly' cases because the sides are slightly rounded like a DJ making them not as popular as better cartel or MBK cases.  Things change but cartel cases are still hit or miss from one order to another, MBK cases are hard to find, and Yuki/Phong cases ain't cheap and ain't getting any cheaper.

Well...it turns out DW cases may not be so bad after all.  I have been seeing a lot of genuine 5512/13/1680 watches with Pot Belly sides caused by wear and not-so-pro polishing and most are being priced waaay up there now.

Examples:

http://www.network54.com/Forum/207673/message/1501595158/FS-+Rolex+Submariner+ref.+5513+‘Meters+First’

http://www.network54.com/Forum/207673/message/1454128322/fs-+meters+first+1680+tropical+red+sub+with+box+and+papers+-+%2426%2C000    ($26,000  Shaaazam!!)

So...if you have a DW case hidden away in a drawer it might be worth a second chance to make a 'high mileage' project watch or to put up for sale.  Matter of fact they would make a very good 'aged' project watch without much aging at all.

Pros: 

high quality finish

reasonable prices (usually)

case back stamping usually Ok, some have no stamping at all

good fit with genuine rlx 1570/75 date movement and 26.5mm dial 

Cons:

case neck usually a hair too small but by using an oem spec bezel kit and swapping aftmkt crystals around, a fix can usually be found

case back threads may be oem 30.9mm or non oem 30.4mm, both having the same stamping

all cases (all I have seen) are 1680 spec even if stamped 5512/13 (26.5mm dial opening)

case letters/numbers between lugs can be from Ok to awful to none at all

originally came with spring wire bezels (all I have seen)

crown guards aka 'rat ears' need a little attention

lug holes need to be drilled

• Like 2