When you buy through links on our site, we may earn an affiliate commission.
  • Current Donation Goals

Role of the TD and QC

K12AN

Hi all

I am a relative newcomer (been around for a couple of years) and have bought from M2M and from a TD.

I am now looking at buying a Sub or SD and am tempted to purchase from BK (NOOB best editions with 2386.2) - but am in mixed minds.

Buying from BK minimises the changes of there being misalignments and visible flaws with the production...and BK charges a premium for his service. This is justified, as he also has a Swiss ETA in the watch (although some TD's also claim this).

I've seen many examples now on various forums with wonky pearls, off centred markings, clasps which open up etc.

We all know that TD's source their watches from a same factories...and I know I want a NOOB best edition piece with a particular movement - and they all charge similar prices and are generally all good to deal with, which is why the they have earned the 'T'.

So, how do we differentiate between them and chose which to deal with. In my opinion, their role isn't just to and pick up your watch from the factory and take some QC's for you.

A massive part of their service SHOULD be to CHECK the watch over for you...they are your hands, eyes and ears at the factory/source and should treat the watch as if they were buying for themselves. We all know that factories will sell everything that they produce, even if they acknowledge some watches are finished better than others.

If I were a TD and my job and reputation relied on me sourcing and supplying quality pieces for my clients, I would be taking a magnifying glass/lupe with me to collect every sample. I'd be examining the watch in fine detail to make sure that everything is aligned, the clasp is locking, there are no rattles, the functions work, the bezel sounds correct etc, etc. They should be doing 99% of the QC for their buyer, as looking at photos is never perfect due to camera angles etc. This is what should earn them their money. The photo's would be a formality only and return rates would be much lower due to an extra 10 minutes spent on examining.

THIS is what makes a good TD in my opinion...not supplying me the watch which I could have ordered from any of the TD's.

BK watches are great and worth the money, just for peace of mind. However, if TD's took as much care in checking alignments and basic's as BK does, then that would really enhance their role and make them different from the rest. I would gladly pay 10% more for a watch if TD conducts all the checks which I would do based on my research on this forum. If anything, they should know even better the issues to look for.

Is there any TD who carries out real QC for their clients (other than BK)? I'm only referring to fresh out of the factory QC checks to make sure that we get what is advertised.

Sorry for going on and on :)

TD QC can't compare with BK modification. I can say that buy from all TD, QC part is done by yourself by checking their QC photos. But BK will taking care everything for you.

If you want a decent Sub or SD; simply buy from BK; open the box adjust the band size then you are ready to rock.

43ee9d2af79148b28f83d9d62f6ed0dd.jpg

37c7069b16434f5a40629c3c61b408cd.jpg

BTW my BK DSSD ETA2836

" Is there any TD who carries out real QC for their clients (other than BK)? I'm only referring to fresh out of the factory QC checks to make sure that we get what is advertised. "

Not to extent you are looking for , considering your post I'd advise paying a bit more and be happy w/ your watch. One little niggle they miss that you would have to send out to fix will cost you and that's one niggle then you have to find a guy then get on the waiting list...................

Keep in mind its not only QC your paying BK to do but it is also Mods.  He is physically altering the watch to make it better than just a standard QC the TD's do where they try to get you a decent looking on.

Also, being US based not only means you don't have to worry about custom's seizure but it also means,

1) The wait time is generally drastically reduces as he does carry a stock of some items.  I think the most ive waited is a couple weeks.

2) You get a real tracking number that actually works and updates as it should because its actually a USPS package and not a trans-graft from china shipping to us

I personally have not had an issue with the two pieces I've bought from him but I have read others who BK offered support and repairs to as he does stand behind his sales.

If BK carries it I would always recommend him over a TD.

:) hope that helps!