When you buy through links on our site, we may earn an affiliate commission.
  • Current Donation Goals

My Grail 6263

RobU

1 hour ago, Carlytoss said:

Ona case he lied about??? He should have offer a full refund.
I’m just warning other members about this guy not following forum rules, back door selling and lying about his own case and dials

And I'm warning the other forum members on here that you're a liar.

• 4 weeks later...
On 03/04/2018 at 5:36 AM, Carlytoss said:

Ona case he lied about??? He should have offer a full refund.
I’m just warning other members about this guy not following forum rules, back door selling and lying about his own case and dials

Carlytoss is just sharing his own experience dealing with The Society, what he said is somewhat true. The Society always try to pass on parts as though he manufactured them himself or source it from his own "supplier" that no other members could access. Truth to be told, most of these parts could have been bought directly from phong, ruby, NDT and alike. He qouted me a couple of stuff that seems out of the chart, like Daytona hands for $350???? ...

• Like 2

7 hours ago, nycrounders said:

Here are a few of my Daytona’s I have owned.

So different in each of their own ways.

5c892d7c62ec30cfd152126338d47f56.jpg

885c7859cf6d68479c9287f2bb02fa02.jpg

0a5d99aa0a4f1fffdecd0a89a1397d71.jpg

2b68ef51533cec37e58003efe370dee1.jpg

The last one was supposedly built by the Society also.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

That tiffany dial and rco is really nice. What movements are they running on?

9 hours ago, Carlytoss said:

He actually started a real biz out of it, check this instagram profile https://www.instagram.com/vintagewatchsociety/

I'm concerned by the amount of people that will be defrauded by him, :( they'll know they'll buy replicas but he charge more than twice the price and some of them are not even accurate to the real thing

Yes, and im surprised that even some highly reputable dealers are following and liking his post. He looks like he is making a good living out of these and people are inquiring / buying into it.

Well, when someone doesnt know much and wants a watch badly, but not willing to pay gen prices would surely subject to purchase from him. I guess you can see him as sort of like the next MQ / Phong?

Yes, and im surprised that even some highly reputable dealers are following and liking his post. He looks like he is making a good living out of these and people are inquiring / buying into it.

Well, when someone doesnt know much and wants a watch badly, but not willing to pay gen prices would surely subject to purchase from him. I guess you can see him as sort of like the next MQ / Phong?

Just ST-19 frozen at 6. Movements

Ah thanks for sharing, the right pusher seems to sit a fraction lower than the left pusher. Correct me if im wrong.

By the way, I really really like that 6265 tiffany dial, may I know where did you get it from?

The level looks about the same to me. I know the subdial holes are a little off on the dial though for the ST-19. Slightly shifted hole positions.

The Tiffany I got from my buddy, probably Vietnam dial aged.

6 hours ago, aprolexlover said:

That tiffany dial and rco is really nice. What movements are they running on?

He seems like a fairly stand up guy to me.  Granted, I havent purchased anything from him but have spoken to him a few times.  From what Ive read he uses Phong parts.  His all in prices arent that really high when you take into account what it would cost to purchase the Phong parts, source a V72, and then have a watchmaker put them together.  I'm looking into a 626x build with no gen parts besides the crown and a gen coronet on a Phong dial.  TheSociety is probably who I would go to as I like the fact it is a one-stop shop and I know enough about gen Daytonas to be able to QC all the parts he is using.  That being said, if not him, who would you recommend for a build given the desire to build something as close to gen as possible without using gen parts?

13 hours ago, aprolexlover said:

Well from my experience MQ/Phong are not trying to screw their own customers...

20 hours ago, nycrounders said:

Here are a few of my Daytona’s I have owned.

So different in each of their own ways.
The last one was supposedly built by the Society also.

Are they all running on ST19? or the last one is a converted Valjoux?

Are they all running on ST19? or the last one is a converted Valjoux?

Mine are all ST19. I might pick up a Valjoux one sooner or later. I don’t wear Daytonas enough in my rotation.

I think most forum members have been warned about theSociety. His builds look awesome though. I haven’t dealt with him directly but buyer beware. Always know what you are buying before you buy it. Ask questions and seek expert help if needed.

• Like 1

On 27/04/2018 at 9:53 PM, jfmiii said:

He seems like a fairly stand up guy to me.  Granted, I havent purchased anything from him but have spoken to him a few times.  From what Ive read he uses Phong parts.  His all in prices arent that really high when you take into account what it would cost to purchase the Phong parts, source a V72, and then have a watchmaker put them together.  I'm looking into a 626x build with no gen parts besides the crown and a gen coronet on a Phong dial.  TheSociety is probably who I would go to as I like the fact it is a one-stop shop and I know enough about gen Daytonas to be able to QC all the parts he is using.  That being said, if not him, who would you recommend for a build given the desire to build something as close to gen as possible without using gen parts?

Phong makes the worst PN dials out the entire viet fleet and they cost a fortune. Are you sure you got it right? you can compare Phong with Ruby's 6263 dial, its huge difference.

I use Slay to do my builts, he is probably the most knowledgable and long standing member. Others use Rolojack, which ive seen his work and also not too bad.

• Like 1

22 minutes ago, Sogeha said:

Phong sells pretty poor 5508 dials as well. I don’t really think any vendor is a one stop shop unfortunately 

It seems the consensus is MQ has the best Daytona dials.  Obviously nothing will be as good as gen, but his dials leave a lot to be desired, imo.  At least from his pictures on his site.  I'm really after a non-Big Red Sigma panda dial for a 6265 build but it just doesnt seem anyone is making these.  The pictures of his Big Red panda dials, again based on pictures on his site, seem to run the risk of having non-centered print.  I couldnt live with that and seems like a big risk to take when paying the high prices he asks. Not to mention the fact that the "DAYTONA" print is not bold and embossed as it is on a gen and it's distance from the 6 o'clock subdial isnt right.  Again, I dont need 100% perfect but the text, its positioning, and the crown are paramount on these dials.  Am I mistaken that MQ has the best dials?  Should I be looking elsewhere?

2 hours ago, jfmiii said:

It seems the consensus is MQ has the best Daytona dials.  Obviously nothing will be as good as gen, but his dials leave a lot to be desired, imo.  At least from his pictures on his site.  I'm really after a non-Big Red Sigma panda dial for a 6265 build but it just doesnt seem anyone is making these.  The pictures of his Big Red panda dials, again based on pictures on his site, seem to run the risk of having non-centered print.  I couldnt live with that and seems like a big risk to take when paying the high prices he asks. Not to mention the fact that the "DAYTONA" print is not bold and embossed as it is on a gen and it's distance from the 6 o'clock subdial isnt right.  Again, I dont need 100% perfect but the text, its positioning, and the crown are paramount on these dials.  Am I mistaken that MQ has the best dials?  Should I be looking elsewhere?

I think MQ are the best I have seen and it seems to be a commonly held view. Check QC pictures very carefully, he has been known to have some inconsistencies and like most sellers will dump inferior goods on the unwary or uninformed I’ve heard

• Like 1

On 28/04/2018 at 2:18 PM, jfmiii said:

You can try Jensen (phong's son) he made a special dial for me and the all process has been smooth such as the result which I'm really happy with

4 hours ago, Carlytoss said:

You can try Jensen (phong's son) he made a special dial for me and the all process has been smooth such as the result which I'm really happy with

Hi Carlytoss, can you link or share with me Jensen's contact? I would truly appreciate it.

As for MQ, I wouldnt recommend. I inquired about #97 Paul Newman step dial half a year ago with a handset and he wanted $1,000.

I then asked a friend to walk into his shop in Saigon HCM city to ask about the same dial and he quoted him $1,200.

Today I asked him about the very same dial via whatsapp and he wants $1,500.

earlier I asked him about a 6542 insert, on his website the photograph of the insert looks superior. But when I ask him to send me a photo of the actual thing it's no different to Ruby's!

This means whatever photos he puts up is not necessary the thing you'll be getting! You'd be better off buying from Ruby.