When you buy through links on our site, we may earn an affiliate commission.
  • Current Donation Goals

Article: Confessions Of Serial Replica Watch Buyers

swdivad

Not very good article.

This is BS. I own seven expensive genuines and still lust after some reps... and wearing them can be just as satisfying (if not even more). Watch is a watch. It's not "larger than life" if it's a genuine Rolex or Breitling.

Quote from the post:

"Remember, those in the market for replica watches are not the same people who buy the real thing. Both types of customers make their purchase decisions for entirely different reasons."

28 minutes ago, By-Tor said:

Not very good article.

This is BS. I own seven expensive genuines and still lust after some reps... and wearing them can be just as satisfying (if not even more). Watch is a watch. It's not "larger than life" if it's a genuine Rolex or Breitling.

Quote from the post:

"Remember, those in the market for replica watches are not the same people who buy the real thing. Both types of customers make their purchase decisions for entirely different reasons."

Yes it's [censored], but relevant ;-)
There are people out there as described, but I don't see that in our communities, at least out in the open

My heart bleeds when the Swiss watch industry moan about intellectual and property rights, trademarks and copyrights. Like we all forgot how the Swiss industry started. They produced fakes of English horology, which got it's start by faking Italian, which ripped of ottoman, which copied? Oh yes the Chinese, who have the best claim of having invented mechanical time pieces in the first place.

when it comes to serious bling, I find it hard to decide which is more brain dead, the group who buy reps to look like they have spent millions on a tacky watch or those who really did spend millions on a tacky watch. As for being called out, we all know it is so rare as to say it doesn't happen. Anyway I don't give a damn what anyone else thinks about my watch, least of all some random stranger who has self appointed as morality police

• Like 1
  • Thanks 1

Pretty poorly written article that is full of the same boring tropes that we in this community have read 101 times by newbies who sign up for an account to only disparage the community as a whole. The photos are dishonest and I'm sure to a point his experience is dishonest. He gives communities such as ours the raw deal when it comes to knowledge. I have never purchased a replica watch while being unsure of what on it would work, I like most here do my research and spend my money frugally. But let them think that reps are just shoddy garbage, makes my stuff look even more real in the eyes on the uninitiated. 

• Like 1
  • Thanks 1

Well that is not quite true MOAB, we are right here telling the whole world and to be honest I can't see that none of these "experts" have never visited us or the cousins. If you were writing a piece about anything these days you would do a little internet research - right?

I do wonder if they don't want a clue. Spin doctoring. If they wrote "Hey the Noob Submariner and virtually every Panerai rep, sure under a loupe they haven't the same fit and finish, but on your arm they are indistinguishable from the real deal", well they wouldn't get an invite to Basel World anymore would they? Where as spreading the word that reps are crap, is more pleasing I guess

True Mike, blowing smoke up the ass of the gen manufacturers so they can enjoy their  canapés. 

Self righteous groups like this do little to harm the rep world. They can puff their chests out all they like but it won't stop people buying reps. 

These articles always catch my eye and I always read them, this one included, and they are always terrible and way off the mark. For example, they never mention how the most knowledgeable watch people in the world are part of the rep world. The group here are true watch lovers not just people with too much money. They also never talk about how the rep world is just a starting place that almost always ends with gen purchases. They just miss the mark by so much with these articles.

• Like 1

These types of articles, written by pompous assholes with a at best a superficial knowledge of the subject matter they are writing about comes up periodically. As usual these articles are filled with misinformation. The only thing I agree with in the whole article is the part about the folks who buy "Bling" watches. They of all the buyers of replica watches are the ones who overwhelmingly buy replicas in order to deceive others. Outside of this, the rest is pretty much B.S.

I really love the heart rendering statements about the watch manufacturers losing billions of dollars because of all the Reps that folks are buying instead of their grossly overpriced products. News flash to watch manufacturers. The rep buyers aren't going to bankrupt you, the lack of interest in watches by millions of young people from teens to their 30's and Electronic manufacturers like Apple! Samsung, etc. should be who you are worried about!

Sent from my iPad using Tapatalk

• Like 3