When you buy through links on our site, we may earn an affiliate commission.
  • Current Donation Goals

Optimal Way to Connect SATA Drive to IDE Motherboard

freddy333

2 questions for anyone who has experience fitting a SATA drive to an older, IDE-only motherboard -

1. Will I gain any of the SATA drive's performance/data transfer speed by swapping a 250GB IDE drive for a 250GB SATA drive on an IDE-only motherboard? That is, if I connect a SATA drive via a SATA PCI card or IDE-to-SATA adapter, will I gain any of the SATA's speed benefits, or will the IDE and PCI channels the SATA's connected to bottleneck any gains, thus crippling the SATA to no more than IDE performance?

If the answer above is yes (ie, the SATA drive will still produce slightly better performance than the IDE drive) -
2. What is the best way, performance wise, to connect the SATA to the motherboard--SATA card in PCI (not PCI-e!) slot or IDE-to-SATA adapter (attached to IDE jack on motherboard & SATA drive attached to adapter)?

I am aware that upgrading the motherboard would be more cost-effective, but, for a variety of reasons, that is not an option here.

2 questions for anyone who has experience fitting a SATA drive to an older, IDE-only motherboard -

1. Will I gain any of the SATA drive's performance/data transfer speed by swapping a 250GB IDE drive for a 250GB SATA drive on an IDE-only motherboard? That is, if I connect a SATA drive via a SATA PCI card or IDE-to-SATA adapter, will I gain any of the SATA's speed benefits, or will the IDE and PCI channels the SATA's connected to bottleneck any gains, thus crippling the SATA to no more than IDE performance?

If the answer above is yes (ie, the SATA drive will still produce slightly better performance than the IDE drive) -
2. What is the best way, performance wise, to connect the SATA to the motherboard--SATA card in PCI (not PCI-e!) slot or IDE-to-SATA adapter (attached to IDE jack on motherboard & SATA drive attached to adapter)?

I am aware that upgrading the motherboard would be more cost-effective, but, for a variety of reasons, that is not an option here.

Sata card in pci would your best bet. The ide adapters will allow you to use the drive but you're limited to ide. Fastest simplest way I can put it. There's always the super expensive and space limiting ide solid state route.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

4 minutes ago, Ephry73 said:

Sata card in pci would your best bet. The ide adapters will allow you to use the drive but you're limited to ide. Fastest simplest way I can put it. There's always the super expensive and space limiting ide solid state route.

Thanks, but as it is an old computer, I wanted to use stuff that I have on the shelf. I have both drives & just wanted to know whether the SATA's performance would be moot due to the PCI or IDE connection? Either type of connection hardware is considerably cheaper (& easier to implement) than replacing the drive with SSD.

When SATA first came out, one could buy a simple plug in adaptor which connected SATA to IDE motherboards, but performance dropped from SATA to IDE levels obviously.

Found this:

http://www.ebay.co.uk/itm/SATA-TO-PATA-IDE-Converter-Adapter-Plug-Play-7-15-Pin-3-5-2-5-SATA-HDD-DVD-BF-BF/352156960446?_trkparms=aid%3D555019%26algo%3DPL.BANDIT%26ao%3D1%26asc%3D20151005190705%26meid%3D4ee35429f2f2496a9ca79aa40370903f%26pid%3D100506%26rk%3D1%26rkt%3D1%26&_trksid=p2045573.c100506.m3226

it's a very long time since I played with PC computers, but I am sure one lost all the advantages of SATA

15 minutes ago, Sogeha said:

When SATA first came out, one could buy a simple plug in adaptor which connected SATA to IDE motherboards, but performance dropped from SATA to IDE levels obviously.

Found this:

http://www.ebay.co.uk/itm/SATA-TO-PATA-IDE-Converter-Adapter-Plug-Play-7-15-Pin-3-5-2-5-SATA-HDD-DVD-BF-BF/352156960446?_trkparms=aid%3D555019%26algo%3DPL.BANDIT%26ao%3D1%26asc%3D20151005190705%26meid%3D4ee35429f2f2496a9ca79aa40370903f%26pid%3D100506%26rk%3D1%26rkt%3D1%26&_trksid=p2045573.c100506.m3226

it's a very long time since I played with PC computers, but I am sure one lost all the advantages of SATA

Thanks, but your link is to the same type of IDE-to-SATA adapter linked in my original post.

So if the IDE-to-SATA adapter results in IDE performance (ie, no performance gain over the current IDE drive), what of the other option (SATA PCI card)? Is that limited by the speed (which, if memory serves, is 33MHz?) of the PCI bus channel?