When you buy through links on our site, we may earn an affiliate commission.
  • Current Donation Goals

Just received the ARF Daytona from TORO...is this Guy serious ???

themannier

Look at that bezel numbers my friends, it looks like the black paint has gone or  is 20 years old. ..damn how Toro makes the control when he gets the watch in his hands !

I wasn't able to see that on his pictures :nono:

Of course i contacted Toro today and he asked me to send back the watch lol !!!

What a disappointment...20170922_145005.thumb.jpg.5fe93d34960a235b36bf28639d28cb69.jpg20170922_145009.thumb.jpg.c21c81b932a86bee6bc02044b824294c.jpg20170922_145027.thumb.jpg.a219aa706190efb8bfbe5267d07d65c0.jpg20170922_145054.thumb.jpg.8ae24aeadf45fb8d4c8209d460011bc6.jpg

Here is the brand new watch.

Hard to see the problem on this picture :g:

20170922_150416.thumb.jpg.13fa747b215dc99334dea46d0270f1cb.jpg

Hmmmmmm not the best, but I'm sure Toro will sort it out for you. I've always had good service from him. 

Alternatively, could you not repaint the bezel yourself (or a modder here), maybe Toro would then give you a discount off your next purchase for the hassle you've had? 

Well, the bezel engraving is not deep enough and it might be hard to paint it and to remove the excess of paint ; i think i am not able to fix that....But i am sure that someone will have the skill and the time to do this job.

So i just ordered another ARF Daytona from Toro and he was kind enough to give me a discount on this one.

Regarding this current watch, as i am not able to let her go now until i have the next one, i keep her and i will put her for sale in 3 weeks for a good price with this bezel paint issue.....:inverted:

It is alot easier to repaint the bezel than to deal with the hassles & potential customs issues of shipping the watch back.

This is how I paint engravings on steel with metal paint in a bottle (do not use spray unless the bezel is removed from the watch) -

Get some mineral spirits (paint thinner - NOT paint 'stripper') & lint-free rags or paper towels (Viva paper towels usually work well)

- Use a Q-tip or small artist's paint brush to apply paint over each of the numbers. Do this fairly quickly so the paint does not begin to dry.

- Moisten (do not saturate) the paper towel with mineral spirits & gently brush (do not rub or press!) over the numbers & surrounding area 1 time only. Throw the paper towel away!

- Moisten a NEW paper towel with mineral spirits & gently brush a 2nd pass over the area. Throw the paper towel away!

- Repeat with a NEW paper towel until the area around the engraving is clean & there is paint only inside the engraving.

- Let dry according to paint instructions.

11 hours ago, freddy333 said:

It is alot easier to repaint the bezel than to deal with the hassles & potential customs issues of shipping the watch back.

This is how I paint engravings on steel with metal paint in a bottle (do not use spray unless the bezel is removed from the watch) -

Get some mineral spirits (paint thinner - NOT paint 'stripper') & lint-free rags or paper towels (Viva paper towels usually work well)

- Use a Q-tip or small artist's paint brush to apply paint over each of the numbers. Do this fairly quickly so the paint does not begin to dry.

- Moisten (do not saturate) the paper towel with mineral spirits & gently brush (do not rub or press!) over the numbers & surrounding area 1 time only. Throw the paper towel away!

- Moisten a NEW paper towel with mineral spirits & gently brush a 2nd pass over the area. Throw the paper towel away!

- Repeat with a NEW paper towel until the area around the engraving is clean & there is paint only inside the engraving.

- Let dry according to paint instructions.

Many thanks for this great explanation bro but i am sure i will do some bad things if i try this, so i will let the future buyer play as the watch will be for sale soon :rolleyes:

6 hours ago, themannier said:

Many thanks for this great explanation bro but i am sure i will do some bad things if i try this, so i will let the future buyer play as the watch will be for sale soon :rolleyes:

This bezel looked worse than yours upon arrival. As long as you do not use 'quick-dry' paint (ie, use any standard paint for metal - you can even spray Krylon automotive paint into a small cup & apply from that) & follow the steps, it is pretty difficult not to end up looking like this -

Lugs 0042__-2_tonemapped1_zpsj6zepp9l.jpg~original.jpg

On 23/09/2017 at 4:25 PM, freddy333 said:

This bezel looked worse than yours upon arrival. As long as you do not use 'quick-dry' paint (ie, use any standard paint for metal - you can even spray Krylon automotive paint into a small cup & apply from that) & follow the steps, it is pretty difficult not to end up looking like this -

Lugs 0042__-2_tonemapped1_zpsj6zepp9l.jpg~original.jpg

Well i will  give it a try !  So you said i need a special paint for steel ? How long it takes for this kind of paint to dry ?

Doxa dive watches are notorious for losing the paint in their bezel numerals. So I got really good at doing them.

Get some Testors black hobby paint in the little bitty glass bottle. Wipe the bezel with rubbing alcohol to get it squeaky clean. When it's thoroughly dry, paint all the numbers. I used a small tip $.79 brush from the hobby shop. Be sloppy, it's okay.

Let it dry *completely* like overnight.

Next day get a wooden toothpick with a squared off end, or even a wooden chopstick from the grocery store deli, and rub the extra paint off the bezel from around the numbers. It comes right off.

Easy squeasy, do it with your eyes closed. I did the orange and the black on this one.

a9277e0519fe991b246d6420f694a68a.jpg