When you buy through links on our site, we may earn an affiliate commission.
  • Current Donation Goals

All watch fora down

Sogeha

So this started out as a conversation between @Mike on a bike and me, then moved into a discussion in the Mods Lounge. It is no real secret that we would like to see this place grow and thrive, we wouldn't be very good Mods if we didn't, so we are often looking at and talking about ways we can improve the forum, attract new members, keep existing members coming back and increase the number of posts. 

Since I was unexpectedly made a member of the crew here, I have always taken the position that I am here to serve the forum, which essentially means the members and it seemed to me that perhaps we should open up a bit about what we do and what we discuss. I'm a big fan of transparency and accountability. My fellow Mods concurred, so here it is.

The following few posts are more or less verbatim of what we discussed between ourselves.  the less being that obviously we use our real names and have a policy of not doing so on the public forum, though of course many of you know my name and I now know a good few of you. I guess we are trying to get an understanding of the situation and yes there is a bit of moaning too, but if anyone has concrete suggestions for improving the forum and increasing both the post count and visitors numbers, we are very willing to give them serious consideration.

Well guys as stated we've been looking around now Repgeek is slow per comments there. (Sogeha's been looking there) I know RWGbz well enough just from feel to know they are off a bit and well neither of us know RWI well enough however if they are they are still pretty busy,

me:

"OK 54 (RWI) posts in the last half hour! We do not do that a day, now whether that's busy or slow for them I do not know but real good no matter what.

We had 59 for 24 hour period, I do not count mod area here as not in theirs either."

Now we know the Dutch forum closed up a while ago and HF about gone if not gone, do watches go the way of the dinosaur was the discussion more than how busy are others compared to us which is something I've tracked for years.

Summer and early fall are a really busy time for most folks. Now we are competing with back to school, high school, college and Pro football. Down herein the south, it's still summer, so the outside chores still require a lot if time. I feel like in late fall and winter activity will pick up. Days shorter, cold outside, so people are inside more with less to do. Visit forums that they have hardly clicked on for months.

Sent from my iPad using Tapatalk

I think there are seasonal fluctuations. Around Christmas is never a good time for spending money on a hobby and as @panerai153 says now isn't a good time. I think there are also longer term fluctuations due to the economy. At the present most people in the western world are finding money tight. Then there are other fluctuations. The Quartz crisis was a big one and we now have the digital crisis, if you will. The old timers are getting old and either have all the watches they need or don't have the same drive and enthusiasm, this is the normal way of life, but younger watch enthusiasts are not coming in numbers because currently wristwatches in general are being seen by many as irrelevant anachronistic technology from times past, but are not so obsolete they have the romantic appeal of times gone by.

So much doom and gloom, but there is reason to be optimistic. Vinyl died and was reborn sometime later, stronger than ever. People collect and appreciate just about everything that is no longer an everyday item. Watches will always have a following and once they are no longer an everyday item, their status may even go up. Sit tight lads, keep doing what we do. As long as we endure the storm, we will eventually get to bask in the sunshine.

When did you last see someone wearing a pocket watch or relying on a long case clock for timekeeping, but both are still avidly collected and cherished, and not only by me?

I agree with you completely. Here in the USA, the average salary is not keeping up with inflation. I know from where I stand in the health care business, my salary peaked probably 5-6 years go. I am probably making 30% less than I was back then. Fortunately for me, my peak was high enough that we can live OK with 30% less, but it sure knocks the heck out of my " play money"!! A lot of others are not nearly so fortunate.

The second factor that you mentioned, the aging of the watch wearing population is very real, and I expect to get worse. With all the wearable electronic devices, it will be hard to convince younger folks to wear a conventional watch. Now that Apple has come out with the series 3 that doesn't have to be tethered to a phone, we will see more and more folks opting for them. And while they have some shortcomings, trust me, Apple will address most all the problems with free software upgrades.

Do I see the wristwatch going the way of the pocket watch? No i don't, but I do believe that there will be increasing competition for a shrinking market. Realistically, if offered the choice of a 399.00 USD Apple Watch 3 or a Seiko or it's equivalent, I would probably opt for the Apple. I feel like it's a trend. Around our hospital, I would bet that 75% of the staff is wearing and Apple Watch or one of it's equivalents. Probably a complete flip in percentages in a couple of years.

Morning guys 

Certainly here in the UK I've seen a real decline in everyone wearing a watch. Sadly all of the small watch repair/makers shops that I used to love going into  have closed due to these guys retiring.

All we are left with in terms of 'real watched  is very high end glitzy jewellery shops selling the usual brands. Most younger people are definatly wearing smart watches or I see A lot of cheaper 'dress watches for going out in.

I think the other thing to consider is that when I first started to get into vintage watches I was buying old  5513 subs for 700 quid, you could buy old speedmasters for around 300 quid so perhaps the hobbies out priced it self?? 

Lots of forums seem slow and not just watch forums. Others I visit such as cars, photography and cycling seem slower this time of year. Then there are social media sites like Facebook that people also use for discussions too.