When you buy through links on our site, we may earn an affiliate commission.
  • Current Donation Goals

That's a nice surprise

kernow

I was out shopping and noticed a Timpsons shop so thought I'd pop in and ask if they could pressure test my Seamaster chrono (rep).

For our non British brothers, Timpsons are shoe repairers who also 'repair' watches aka change batteries, remove links etc. Generally not a watchsmith per say but good to go to for the smaller things. 

Now, the one I went into was a small, almost cabin/container sized pop up. The guy inside knew a little about watches but probably wouldn't know a rep Seamaster so I thought I'd take the chance. I asked him if he couldn't pressure test my watch to 300m - knowing his equipment would not go that far. He said that it would have to be sent away for that test but could test it to 100m for free........ and it passed! Well done to my SMP Chrono. I'm very pleased to say the least. 

Any other similar stories?

That is great news. I've said it before but 100 metres is more than enough. It can cope with snorkelling and generally hanging out in the water. I know water resistance doesn't directly convert to depth, but if you are a 100 metres down, you have much bigger problems that water in your watch

Yeah, a lot are waterproof out of the box but I'm happy that this passes 100m and is a chronograph so has an extra 2 holes in the case which are not screw down crowns.