When you buy through links on our site, we may earn an affiliate commission.
  • Current Donation Goals

Best Daytona rep

wikipeterson

Around $300 be aware that the sub dial at six is fake on this model. 

It might be a good idea to do some reading on Daytona reps and think about what you are willing to pay and what your expectations are. The Silex you posted isn’t a very good rep, but then it is very cheap. At the other end you can end up buying a high priced rep and modifying it with aftermarket and genuine parts to get what you want. In the end only thing it has to do is please you. I have done both. I have a Submariner rep that I have put a lot of money and I have a Submariner 16610 that I bought from a none TD for $25. Compared to a Noob or JF it is dreadful, to make matters even worst it’s Quartz and obviously fake as the second hand jumps once a second instead of sweeping. Naturally I love my high end rep, but I really like this cheap POS as well, it’s fun, it’s not serious and the fact that it is totally unconvincing to a WIS amuses me, especially as it still gets mistaken as genuine most of the time. My girlfriend can’t tell it apart from my better version, but then she can’t tell my 5510 from my 116610 either

• 2 months later...

Reps aside, never understood the catch with Daytona. It feels very underwhelming on the wrist. I understand the heritage, traditions and all that... and its position in the watch hierarchy but it's a fucking BORING chronograph. :D

Breitling Superocean Chrono, Skyland, Chronomat, Blackbird, Ebel BTR, Planet Ocean Chronograph or even TAG Carrera make it look and feel like women's watch. It suffers from exactly same issue as the original 16570 Explorer II. It's too tiny and those long pushers make it feel even smaller.

My friend has white gen and I had the white rep for a while. I just didn't get it. But hey, maybe it's just me.

Different folks, different strokes I guess. I love vintage Daytonas, I love smaller watches and none of the watches you list interest me in the least. I do like the Planet Ocean, but the chrono model leaves me completely cold.

On the other hand, I’m a fucking boring guy and I like women’s watches because I have girlie wrists ?

ARF ARF ARF lol

The first one that's not a complete dog, goes ARF haha

https://puretime05.com/watch-brands/rolex/daytona/daytona-116500-arf-1-1-best-edition-904l-ss-case-and-bracelet-black-dial-a4130-super-clone.html

13mm is pretty slim. Without getting someone like Domi to thin down the case and remove the autowinder, etc - and dial wise in my humble opinion this is the best you're going to get. That said, if you did get Domi to slim it down it would look pretty gen-spec case wise... however, I only know one dude that goes around looking for fat Daytona's, he's a crazy person and will walk right up to bro's at Starbux and call them out. Brother's been punched a couple times.

Just don't stick it in a winder, and don't play with the chrono's too much, and expect that at some point it will go *bang*

On 10/13/2017 at 2:11 PM, Nanuq said:

Here's the last guy that tried to build an accurate Daytona. Nearly succeeded too, before he ate it.

6fe4d93dbbfb7b5dee02c95b6c5218eb.png

Pretty sure that's what I looked like after my 5513 gilt build... ugh, so much time and money. 
Learned how to use machine tools though haha

1 hour ago, Sogeha said:

Different folks, different strokes I guess. I love vintage Daytonas, I love smaller watches and none of the watches you list interest me in the least. I do like the Planet Ocean, but the chrono model leaves me completely cold.

On the other hand, I’m a fucking boring guy and I like women’s watches because I have girlie wrists ?

Yeah... definitely. I'm a big 6'3 guy but sometimes I wish I wasn't. There are some very, very nice smaller watches like the DJ on a Oyster bracelet.

I love the white ExpII 16570 too but it's too small for me. I had this excellent CHS franken back in the day (with gen dial). 

ZgIWjuE.jpg

3 hours ago, By-Tor said:

Reps aside, never understood the catch with Daytona. It feels very underwhelming on the wrist. I understand the heritage, traditions and all that... and its position in the watch hierarchy but it's a [censored] BORING chronograph. :D

Breitling Superocean Chrono, Skyland, Chronomat, Blackbird, Ebel BTR, Planet Ocean Chronograph or even TAG Carrera make it look and feel like women's watch. It suffers from exactly same issue as the original 16570 Explorer II. It's too tiny and those long pushers make it feel even smaller.

My friend has white gen and I had the white rep for a while. I just didn't get it. But hey, maybe it's just me.

You've pretty much summed up why I quite like the Daytona (though I'm yet to jump down the rabbit hole of building one). I've small wrists and so both the Daytona and the 16570 would do well on me. Heck I spent all of yesterday wearing my freshly repaired great grandfather's 32mm omega and it wore fine.

1 hour ago, Gillesss said:

Having seen multiple real daytonas an dhavijg touched them I must say that they wear really slim. But ARF looks likes the thinnest out there

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

Agreed - although I'm really not convinced they make the thing out of 904L   that is hard steel, and $$$$$ to f&ck with