When you buy through links on our site, we may earn an affiliate commission.
  • Current Donation Goals

Best Daytona rep

wikipeterson

5 minutes ago, Gillesss said:

I have a genuine 16613 and it’s flawless too, don’t know if it’s 316 or 904. What other watch brands use 904L over 316?

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

I'm really not sure of anyone else, I'm of the mind that 904L is pretty much proprietary (by choice only) to Rolex. I  am 99% sure that a 16613 is 904L

As far as I remember reading 904 was used on SeaDwellers first in the mid 80s. Then they moved the whole range to 904 in the mid 2000s. I could be wrong. The memory is a bit scatty this late after this much alcohol. So the earlier 16613s may have probably been 316. 

Also a big fan of vintage Daytonas, I guess is all about the sensations of the watches on your wrist, my very first rep was Tag microkrogirder 45 mm very chunky and very fake, then a Pam 388 and IWC also very beefy until I got my first 42mm a bargain LMPO v1 and then i knew it, my favorite size its 42 mm, after some time i got a 5513 from cartel then a 1680 mbw and a 16600 (my most used rep thus far and the most popular rolex rep model) recently got interested in vtg daytonas, currently building my first high end with an MQ panda, viet case, and v72, cant wait to see all together, i have been considering getting myself a cartel to practice shaving the case to make it thinner, we'll see.

5 hours ago, HaydenM said:

You've pretty much summed up why I quite like the Daytona (though I'm yet to jump down the rabbit hole of building one). I've small wrists and so both the Daytona and the 16570 would do well on me. Heck I spent all of yesterday wearing my freshly repaired great grandfather's 32mm omega and it wore fine.

Yeah... one man's treasure can another man's poison. Different watches for different wrists. 

img_674023nn.jpg

That must be your son's wrist By-Tor we know you have arms like Popeye!

I shudder to think of the number of early Daytonas I've built and sold on. They're just so fricken handsome so you build one and wear it and then mod it, then mod it some more, then build another, then you just have to get rid of one of them... no sense having duplicates. Then build one a little different, then you miss the first one you just sold, so you sell a couple to fund the next one.

Good Lord I need to just send them to Legend or By-Tor so they can stop me getting rid of them.

• Like 1