When you buy through links on our site, we may earn an affiliate commission.
  • Current Donation Goals

1016 Explorer w/lug holes

lumbee

1 hour ago, godkiller said:

if you can do that, please plug and redrill those cartel cases as well - then we will have an affordable alternative to vietnam case and phong case lol!

That is exactly what I was thinking. Lots of reps only really spoilt by having too low a crown

4 hours ago, Sogeha said:

That is exactly what I was thinking. Lots of reps only really spoilt by having too low a crown

High-five! we got the same oberservations

I have a SERIOUS OCD for Rolex reps with the wrong crown height. This is because gen Rolex cases are made consistently to match their standard gen movement specs so there is no exception allowed for rep Rolex cases with the wrong crown/stem/tube height. This is why i will never ever consider using a cartel rep for my project builds

I place a serious emphasis on wrong crown/stem/tube height over wrong case shape because case shape irregularities can be dismissed as overpolishing or weaker manufacturing tolerance from many years ago, but crown/stem/tube height can never go wrong.

Edited by godkiller

On 10/12/2017 at 1:44 PM, Alan72 said:

How do you plug the hole, it would be good to do that on my HR 6538 case

Sent from my Lenovo P2a42 using Tapatalk

I cant speak for JMB but I am going to assume either pressing in a metal rod and then some surface welding or perhaps filling the hole with weld?   once ground down and polished smooth you would not know there is a hole there.  I have no doubt that he will have success with this....just when I thought my JMB explorer was going to become a rare collectible  lol

I have ordered 3 2836 36mm 16200 cases.  I'm thinking I will machine a close tolerance plug and silver-solder it into the case then re-drill the hole in a higher position for 2824 movement.  If I make the plug small enough I'm betting that the crown will hide any evidence of the modification. 

• Like 1

While I was waiting for my invoice for the 2836 cases I got an e-mail from my case supplier and he said he had 2824 cases for me!!!  I have ordered a bunch of them... :)

• Like 3

Hopefully will be able to start re-machining these into 1016 cases in a couple of weeks.  They have been shipped via EMS so they should be here soon!  I really had decided that these were gone for good, and I don't even have a 1016 right now!  I thought that somewhat ironic...

• Like 1

I don't know if I am going to do any "V1" cases since they are not really correct for anything except a fantasy model.  I normally re-machine all of them to 1016 lug profile.