When you buy through links on our site, we may earn an affiliate commission.
  • Current Donation Goals

GMT movement for

horologist

Greetings friends,

I am trying to replace a movement for a rolex GMT dial  which has dial feet at 5.5 o'clock and at 11 o'clock.  What movement would accommodate these dial feet positions??? The waterlogged movement has no number under the balance apart from the letters "N N".   It is for a work mate's son, so I have no idea of what mvt , nor where it comes from, is as I have only ever used eta's.  If anyone knows of a better quality movement that will also substitute the dial feet, he is willing to pay to get it fixed properly as it is sentimental to him.  Not my cup of tea!!! Thanks in advance!!!

My guess would be a DG2813 with GMT module, the feet are about where you describe them and it is a likely candidate for a Rolex GMT rep anyway

Useful link:-

http://forums.watchuseek.com/attachment.php?attachmentid=7218586&d=1456501729

A movement upgrade would require a new dial or dial feet of dial dots as well as new hands. Even an ETA uses a Chinese GMT module, so I don’t think it is worth the agro personally

• Like 1

3 hours ago, Sogeha said:

My guess would be a DG2813 with GMT module, the feet are about where you describe them and it is a likely candidate for a Rolex GMT rep anyway

Useful link:-

http://forums.watchuseek.com/attachment.php?attachmentid=7218586&d=1456501729

A movement upgrade would require a new dial or dial feet of dial dots as well as new hands. Even an ETA uses a Chinese GMT module, so I don’t think it is worth the agro personally

Thanks for your reply!!!!
especially for the link which is something that I have been seeking for years, which answers 1000 other questions that are not easily accessible!!!
from that table,I  am now confident that from dial feet positions,it is a DG 3804B and even better a seagull St1622 will also do hopefully being better quality??? I just hope that all the data is accurate as there is an error with one of the eta mvts dial feet where a  2783 has same feet locations as the later generation eta 2824/2836, which is not true!!!  Believe me I tried them out and are slightly off

No you are correct a 2783 sadly isn’t a direct swap for a 28xx, been there, done that. All one can do is do what I started doing a couple of years back and keep a notebook with any useful data one finds online or discovers for oneself, and correct any errors as they are discovered. That and belong on this great forum and share information with others?

Also worth a look

52 minutes ago, Sogeha said:

That and belong on this great forum and share information with others?

Also worth a look

This forum is a God send and I have learnt more from here than I probably ever did in school.  Don't want to overlook other horology forums  such as TZ and from iinput of other members - Automatico etc , but it is here that one learns to play the true jazz music of horology and to improvise well!!

I am am having a similar problem in trying to find an equivalent eta quartz movement which will substitute an omega caliber 332 bumper wind  that needs the  same distance for the pinion holes between the sub seconds hand and the hour/minute hand.  Weird request from a neighbour to replace their movement in an 18k gold seamaster.  That is another story!!

Thanks again for the link.  Again very interesting reading!!!!  Of course I need to do more homework on which movement to get as there deems to be some confusion as to what I need to do as I only get one shot at this cheap trick! LOL!!

40 minutes ago, Sogeha said:

As a lover of vintage Omega I am horrified by that middle paragraph?

So am I.  Being wealthy in finances does not necessarily translate to wealthy in intellect!!!

all kidding aside, this watch was accidentally damaged as it was caught in the washing machine amongst some jeans.  When it was brought to me I was surprised that the dial was intact but most  of the movement had rusted. We looked for a donor movement for over a year without success, but owner is not as nutty as me with these as for him it is just a watch.  I offered to buy it from him, but said it was sentimental belonging to his late grandfather from London.  He and his wife are successful lawyers so he can buy mostly what the next impulse may be.

7 minutes ago, Sogeha said:

Thanks!!!  This forum is truly my second home!!!!

It is always the case, that you could be looking a lifetime for a cure to an illness only for the.potion to come when the patient has just died.  I will inform him of this as it is a shame for the watch to be molested with his request, especially an oversized 18k gold piece!!!!  Thanks again!!

This....... is exactly why RWG exists.  We started out as a site to share information about the good guys and the bad apples out there in the rep world, and it's morphed into something far bigger and deeper.  I'd put the knowledge of our user base up against any other watch site in the world.

Well done, lads.  :tu:

• Like 1

If I needed to know about a potential high end gen purchase I would trust our guys more than any of the self important experts on the gen forums. In fact apart from our guys, I would only trust someone who backed their statements up with a written guarantee 

You know guys I hate to get on a soap box but I take some ribbing on other boards as we are pretty non dramatic IE:" knitting circle" but my usual retort is my friends are sitting in their ivory towers pondering builds as your one watch wonders are buying the newest craze. This is where the big boys hang out no need for 20 mods nuking the forum, witch hunts , gulags or noob free from flaming sections. Unfortunately those graduating from there on to the higher plain of repdom are getting fewer and fewer but quality still has a quantity all it's own.

• Like 1

Watchmaking schools or more precisely watch technician schools are exactly that -a school!!!!

since when has anyone ever learnt anything from school???  No, seriously???

I know some good tradespeople that are good at what they do, but that is where it starts and stops!!!  Ask them to improvise or modify or think outside the square and you will be shocked to see how red with embarrassment they turn.  

Here is a different fraternity altogether, where new frontiers are met and challenged at every move.  So strictly speaking this forum is like a research university.  Any skilled musician can learn to play Bach, Mozart or anything that is put in front of him, but can they all be creative and improvise??  I leave this to the individual to reach their own conclusion.  I too trust only those here and I better not start mentioning any names in case I miss someone out.  It is a privilege and honour to be here even at the bottom of the pecking order!!!

• Like 1

• 1 month later...

Update!!

Greetings gentlemen,

I'm response to my original enquiry, I received my Dg 3804 after almost 5 weeks.

it fitted perfectly onto my dial with the feet position that I mentioned in my opening post.  

I thought in commenting for those that were also unsure if this was the correct movement.  Hope this helps!!

I believe that Citizen also make their genuine movement which has the same dimensions and dial feet position, but am not sure of the caliber number!

5 hours ago, kernow said:

Thanks for the update. Any photos you wanna share? :clap2:

Would love to.  As soon as I have sorted out replacing photobucket with something more reliable and user friendly.  Am overdue with lots of images in need to be uploaded!!

6 hours ago, Sogeha said:

Glad you got sorted on that mate, but let’s not forget the most important question - where is Miss Understood? err, I mean tell me some good news about the Omega Bumper.

Well that is another story!!!  Disappointing to say the least!!!!   After all my efforts, he changed his mind and prefers quartz accuracy!!!!  Some people (including very wealthy) have no sense of quality or understanding & are too tied up with going with the flow in always following to Mr. Moron.   I even offered to buy it , but no go!  I told him that I was not comfident with his request and to approach someone else to commit this crime!!  For some a watch is nothing more than something that tells the time and very much an anachronism 

17 minutes ago, Sogeha said:

You know you can directly upload images to this forum without any third party hosting?

Just click on choose files and select straight from your hard drive 

Thanks!,Will try later!,

12 hours ago, kernow said:

Thanks for the update. Any photos you wanna share? :clap2:

Here it is!!  Nothing special !!! This was saved from the dust bin from my cobbler who also  changes watch batteries.  He gets a lot of offers by the public who sell watches to him so they can afford to eat here in this new 3rd world country. This was presented to him for a battery change but customer left it to him upon discovering that it was waterlogged and had stem broken at the crown.  The Cobbler asked me if I wanted it to let my small children play with it.  As it turned out I am the small kid.  It has a screw n case tube and a scratch proof crystal, so for a cheap mvt replacement cost of $35,  I will see how Long a piece of string really is.  I am waiting for the correct datewheel overlay as seller sent me wrong one. 

image.jpg

image.jpg

• Like 1

3 hours ago, kernow said:

Looks a fine watch. Congratulations upon reviving it. 

Well I actually promised it to a workmates son. I am just getting the bracelet ready as well. 

There is one fault with the bezel which has a missing pin, which like the head of a spring bar which clicks against the inside ratchet..  It is different to a click spring.    The bezel swing in both directions perpetually. These DG movements are ok for what one pays as they cost more to service than to replace.  I usually get that 2 out of 5 DG mvts have a tendency to stop when you least expect them to.  Wished I knew what the  genuine citizen replacement is?

thanks to all for your input