When you buy through links on our site, we may earn an affiliate commission.
  • Current Donation Goals

Let's build a superfranken (genstein?) 36mm Rolex Explorer I (14270)

pompompurin

I have previously shared this on RWI and I will share it here as well - you guys seem to be the technical / OCD Rolex builders so I hope you will enjoy the pics

And after waiting and researching for nearly a year trying to source the right parts...

Theme of the build = a classic 14270 Rolex that has been through RSC (hence this 14270 will have lug holes AND superluminova dial and hands)

Here are the ingredients
- Gen 36mm Datejust 16233 E-series case (took me bloody 6 months to find one in decent condition)
- Gen 36mm Datejust smooth bezel
- Gen 14270/114270 Swiss Made dial (bloody rare to find)
- Gen 603 crown
- Gen Submariner seconds hand
- JF 16610 LN minute + hour hand
- JKhorological Swiss 25-295 crystal
- Serviced Yuki 3135 from tickleshoes
...... still in search of a hollow link 78360 rep oyster bracelet

The watch is practically gen at this point. If i pair it up with my gen 62510h bracelet, then it's visually indistinguishable to gen

nngD1fB.jpg
[IMG]
[IMG]
[IMG]

so here is my gen 16200 Datejust case that arrived via fedex
[IMG] 

Left case is gen 16200 datejust case; right case is a replica 16200 case for 2824-2 movement
The rehaut is much wider (in terms of diameter) and less wokky on the gen 16200 datejust case
Also, the lugs are thinner on gen case (even though my gen case has probably been polished before)
[IMG] 

Left case is gen 16200 datejust case; right case is a replica 16200 case for 2824-2 movement
Crown height and case thickness is pretty much the same for both cases 
[IMG]

I installed the Yuki 3135 with the gen 14270 dial into the gen case first
The usual ETA movement tab screws didn't fit between the gen case's side and the yuki movement, but luckily i have some spare gen-spec 3135 movement/case screws and they were thin enough to fit in between the gen case and the yuki movement
[IMG]

Then I proceeded to install the hands, crystal, and gen smooth bezel
[IMG]

And here is the final results (paired with my gen 62510h jubilee bracelet with 555 end links - but i am desperately in need of a rep 78360 hollow link oyster bracelet)

At this moment, the watch is pretty much gen externally and there is no definitive way to tell that it is a franken or replica by just looking at it externally

Lume shot! - the JF minute and hour hands have the same lume colour and brightness as the gen Rolex dial lume and gen Rolex seconds hand lume
[IMG]
[IMG]
[IMG]
[IMG]
[IMG]
[IMG]
[IMG] ZHaHvGT.jpg
[IMG]

Edited by godkiller
  • Like 1

5 hours ago, rosnik said:

really nice, congrats.

like you say, OYSTER bracelet is a must on explorer 1 .

3 hours ago, themannier said:

GREAT REVIEW !!!!!

Thanks for sharing that....it's a beautiful piece :drool:

And i like the jubilee !

43 minutes ago, tomhorn said:

Well done. Very nice build. Good luck with the 78360 search ... it will finish things off nicely.

thank you guys :)

i quite like jubilee bracelet but the watch feels too light with the jubilee bracelet on hah
so a rep oyster 78360 bracelet is definitely the way to go

but i am still having problems trying to find a hollow link rep oyster bracelet - seems like no one sells them anymore?

• 2 weeks later...

Hey!

Did you end up trying the 3135 movement in the rep 16200 case? 

Does that fit in there? I'm assuming it does as they come with a spacer (usually the spacer is because they're designed for Rolex diameter movements 12.5 lignes) 

• 3 weeks later...
  • 3 months later...
On 11/2/2017 at 2:50 PM, blame said:

Hey!

Did you end up trying the 3135 movement in the rep 16200 case? 

Does that fit in there? I'm assuming it does as they come with a spacer (usually the spacer is because they're designed for Rolex diameter movements 12.5 lignes) 

Yuki / SH 3135 doesn't work with rep 16200 (raffles / riyi) case.

The movement fits, but the crown cannot screw into the watch because the tube area is slightly recessed/indented into the case which causes the crown to hit the movement

On 11/3/2017 at 12:45 AM, lorenzo1910 said:

Maybe it's obvious for you (experts) but since I'm a noob I have a question : why the swap of the seconds hand?

Thank you!

The stock JF seconds hand is very soft and weak - the cylindrical tube bent when I was reinstalling it into a watch. Therefore I had to source a gen seconds hand.

On 11/3/2017 at 8:35 AM, jmb said:

Super job!

On 10/24/2017 at 6:59 AM, highoeyazmuhudee said:

very nice build :good:

On 10/23/2017 at 1:53 AM, wiesn089 said:

Great build!

Thanks guys! Hope you enjoyed the pics 

On 10/23/2017 at 12:40 PM, Vibes said:

I paid $800 for a trashed 78360 a couple of months ago with 580 end links. The blade was damaged, so I have a yuki blade and clasp on it. [censored] is too expensive, should be perfect at these prices!

What happened to the blade? Might be possible for restoration with some soldering or bending

On 11/22/2017 at 11:38 PM, JSebWC said:

Great job again my friend.  would like to see some profile shots of the completed piece please.

My 14270 rep says HI!

5a1599daa5377_14270nov17.jpg.aaed0aabc88d399b8af94077ddb4a226.jpg

These 14270 36mm reps are quite rare now. It's always good to see another one!

• Like 1

3 hours ago, DVNE said:

20180306_062420.thumb.jpg.e36626b239adcde4b54e68a081889f4c.jpg

My franken says hellooo! I regret selling my old tritium build in a gen 16200 lug hole case but this luminova build will do for now.

That is my grail build! I am 'pompompurin' on RWI and i wish i could obtain your rare 3135 datejust case for other builds. 

Edited by godkiller
  • Like 1

It would be a easier task to find a gen 16200 Datejust case then it is to find this 114270 gen spec case. Mines was the last one I saw for sale on RWI and it was years ago.

BUT if you ever come across a used eta 2824 complete Explorer 114270 rep, buy it asap. That is the best rep midcase ever made for the 16200 Datejust/114270 Explorer.

at the moment with my 14270... 
1. I swapped a SH 3132 movement into it
2. I installed a vietnam oyster bracelet with a 7 hole micro-adjustment clasp
3. I am waiting for a replacement crystal to arrive (since I used the existing crystal on another build for my friend)

nWZZrGb.jpg

9 minutes ago, DVNE said:

It would be a easier task to find a gen 16200 Datejust case then it is to find this 114270 gen spec case. Mines was the last one I saw for sale on RWI and it was years ago.

BUT if you ever come across a used eta 2824 complete Explorer 114270 rep, buy it asap. That is the best rep midcase ever made for the 16200 Datejust/114270 Explorer.

Thanks for the tips

I noticed that LF factory used to make classic 162xx datejust with SA3135 movement... But i believe they sold poorly (because nobody seems to have it lol!) and they were soon discontinued
https://ts-station.cn/goods.php?ProId=14857

• Like 1

• 4 weeks later...

That is a unique bracelet / clasp combo you have on the exp 1   is it a gen clasp or a high quality rep ?  its got 7 holes?

I have yet to buy a replacement crystal and bezel for my 14270  I am for some reason hesitant on doing so as I concerned on the bezel fit and crystal on my case... I have not attempted to remove mine as  I do not like my crystal press  I will order a new press. the crystal and bezel and get it done and it will be done! lol  gotta shake this procrastination 

But for the sake of all things 14270  here is one of my fav pics I took of my watch.

14270 feather.jpg