When you buy through links on our site, we may earn an affiliate commission.
  • Current Donation Goals

Let's build a superfranken (genstein?) 36mm Rolex Explorer I (14270)

pompompurin

I finally ordered a crystal and bezel for my piece  it arrived earlier this week  I am going to install it tomrmow and I will post some updated pics of my explorer 

Here is a before pic.

@godkiller Did you ever get a new crystal and your explorer all sorted out?

14270.jpg

So I swapped the bezel and crystal today on my Explorer and wow what a difference. It gives it a different look and feel and looks proper now.

Before with the factory bezel and crystal
37d3b27ae541ac080cc215844e537aee.png

After the slimmer bezel , thicker gasket and new crystal.

d8ce52da7935b20cf7f149f9c3c65c8c.heic
871c8179ffa26c6fcee7cf1bf750affe.heic

3da3ac414e595e72bf3afdc99e137385.heic
89006be8d35df05b992a6b6a3ac40ca7.heic

My crystal press sucks and I didn’t want to wait for my new one to arrive I made it work. I don’t know if I have the crystal seated completely but it’s not loose and has stayed in with movement so it should be okay until the new press arrives

I really like the taller look of the crystal and has a gen look now compared to pics online.

I am very happy with this piece now and it will be getting a lot more wrist time now.

4 hours ago, Sogeha said:

Does look much improved. Where did you get the bezel and crystal?

I got them from WSO on Ebay.   I have had these parts in my shopping cart for ever, got side tracked with my 6542 and 1019 builds and now that those are done I figured it was time to get this one done.   I sure am glad that I did.   It really transforms the look of this piece.  The way the Crystal and gasket really make it stand out from any  DJ because of how proud it sits from the bezel .

At first glance..it looks wrong.  it looks like the crystal isnt seated all the way or its falling out...but when you compare it Gen  that's how it is..

Gen examples. 

175788-1.288.jpg

20150218_090120_1_zps931f797a.jpg

2 hours ago, capice said:

stunning built,.....:1a:

Thank you !! 

Comparing the two...Mine does look like it could be pushed in a bit more.  Ill wait till my new press arrives..

On 3/30/2018 at 9:24 PM, JSebWC said:

That is a unique bracelet / clasp combo you have on the exp 1   is it a gen clasp or a high quality rep ?  its got 7 holes?

I have yet to buy a replacement crystal and bezel for my 14270  I am for some reason hesitant on doing so as I concerned on the bezel fit and crystal on my case... I have not attempted to remove mine as  I do not like my crystal press  I will order a new press. the crystal and bezel and get it done and it will be done! lol  gotta shake this procrastination 

But for the sake of all things 14270  here is one of my fav pics I took of my watch.

14270 feather.jpg

It's a vietnam bracelet with a vietnam 7-hole clasp (quite uncommon high-quality rep part)

On 4/4/2018 at 6:36 PM, Audemarspiguet said:

fc20d15ce2ab905d6a354edad2062b2e.jpg

Love that dial!

On 6/24/2018 at 12:26 PM, JSebWC said:

I finally ordered a crystal and bezel for my piece  it arrived earlier this week  I am going to install it tomrmow and I will post some updated pics of my explorer 

Here is a before pic.

@godkiller Did you ever get a new crystal and your explorer all sorted out?

14270.jpg

Sweet! I love that angle of your watch. Those are good ETA sub hands that can pass my OCD

Yes I eventually did sort out the crystal after a while

On 6/25/2018 at 10:04 AM, JSebWC said:

So I swapped the bezel and crystal today on my Explorer and wow what a difference. It gives it a different look and feel and looks proper now.

Before with the factory bezel and crystal
37d3b27ae541ac080cc215844e537aee.png

After the slimmer bezel , thicker gasket and new crystal.

d8ce52da7935b20cf7f149f9c3c65c8c.heic
871c8179ffa26c6fcee7cf1bf750affe.heic

3da3ac414e595e72bf3afdc99e137385.heic
89006be8d35df05b992a6b6a3ac40ca7.heic

My crystal press sucks and I didn’t want to wait for my new one to arrive I made it work. I don’t know if I have the crystal seated completely but it’s not loose and has stayed in with movement so it should be okay until the new press arrives

I really like the taller look of the crystal and has a gen look now compared to pics online.

I am very happy with this piece now and it will be getting a lot more wrist time now.

emoji482.png

I love it!
Gen crown next? Or maybe consider converting the ETA movement inside into having 2-positions only (i.e. manual-wind and time-setting). You can do that by ordering an ETA 2840 combined setting lever and install it directly into the movement

• Like 1

@godkiller

Yes a crown is next on the list....and a new mid case.  The bezel doesn't fit as tight to the case as I would like it to  so I am going to keep my eyes peeled for something that is closer to gen spec 

This watch runs on a dg 2813 but yes it would be awesome to have 2 positions only.  

• 2 weeks later...
40 minutes ago, JSebWC said:

ec31b5c616b911c49d5e4a0d4e0d358b.jpg

I have been wearing this thing non stop for weeks. I recently bought a 214270 and I think it’s a catch and release. Just not feeling it 6c917bb79d2526c0b4d7f940d66f6d13.jpg

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

Explorer is the kind of watch that does not need to be big. 36mm was perfect.

• Like 1

Soooooooo  Who is gonna be the first to build a black out??!!

Seems simple enough..all the same pieces but just black out the paint on the 369 with an ultra fine sharpie??

Im tempted to buy  dial and attempt it.

0837.jpg

0838.jpg

0842.jpg

• 2 years later...
  • 5 months later...
17 hours ago, taekim said:

Anyone building this? I've been looking everywhere!

I have one that I built a few years back.   

Raffles case set 

raffles dial 

raffles hands

dg2813 movement 

WSO Bezel and crystal with gasket 

raffles bracelet 

includes rep box 

gen booklet 

gen calendar card 

I am considering selling if you're interested.  Dm me if you are interested 

14270.png

• Like 1

6 minutes ago, JSebWC said:

I have one that I built a few years back.   

Raffles case set 

raffles dial 

raffles hands

dg2813 movement 

WSO Bezel and crystal with gasket 

raffles bracelet 

includes rep box 

gen booklet 

gen calendar card 

I am considering selling if you're interested.  Dm me if you are interested 

14270.png

DM'd! Super interested!

• Like 1

• 1 year later...

A few thoughts from a 'vintage guy' who does not know much about sapphire rolex watches (or anything else).

Good choice, projects without a date are a LOT less hassle.

The first few years of the sapphire Explorer had holes in the lugs and my guess is the holes were the same size as DJ cases of the same era.

Anyone know for sure which spring bars were used?  I have not touched one in 15 or 20 years and did not pay attention when I did. 

A watch with holes in the lugs definitely needs a bracelet with hollow mid links imho.          

Otoh, solid mid links might not be as obvious on a watch with blind lug holes.

A 14270 with lug holes also needs a dial with T<25 at the bottom for sure, not 'swiss made'.

There were 'blackout' dials on some early Exp making them go for more $$ but I have not seen any on replicas.  It would make the watch stand out though.

Shedding Light on the Rolex "Blackout" Explorer 14270 - Bob's Watches (bobswatches.com)

I've owned about a half dozen assorted 14270 replicas and two or three had markers fall off the dial, so it might be a good idea to put a tiny drop of cement over the marker feet on the back side of the dial.  Be very careful if superglue is used because it will travel to the front side of the dial.  Maybe use G-S Hypo cement etc.

Or just let it go until a marker falls off like I do. 

Use a metal (usually brass) movement spacer and steel case clamps with screws if possible...no plastic spacers.

Btw...I have had good luck with Raffles parts.

Etc. Etc.