When you buy through links on our site, we may earn an affiliate commission.
  • Current Donation Goals

Explorer 114270 (36mm) options?

G4_Chrono

5 hours ago, G4_Chrono said:

Hi Gents.

Im looking for a quality 114270 rep - so that's 36mm with SEL bracelet. I've read of a JF v2 with SH3132 movement but can't see it on trusty or puretime, only the 39mm 214270.

Does it exist or have I got my wires crossed?

Thanks. 

This thread on RWI will interest you

https://forum.replica-watch.info/threads/amazing-little-explorer-1-36mm-from-lucy.395976/

17 hours ago, G4_Chrono said:

Hi

Thanks for the link. I've signed up over there and doing lots of reading. . . .

Looks like maybe there isn't the quality of rep for an explorer 114270 as the larger models and subs. Maybe?

according to @DVNE, the best 36mm explorer was the cartel ones and they run on 2824-2 movement. But those are long discontinued and currently there aren't any alternatives that run on 2824-2.

the 2836-2 version (just like the link i have provided from above) has various flaws but i think it is the best one available for now

it's better to consider the JF V2 214270 if you want an explorer (which is extremely close to super-rep in my eyes) - but those are 39mm

I love the quality of the JF V2 214270 - I just wish the same quality was available for the 36mm 114270.

I definitely enjoy 36mm, I love drilled lugs, don't like engraved rehauts and prefer printed dials.

I see a fantasy Franken / genstein for my version of a modern, Tempus Machina influenced, 1016.

My recipe:

36mm case - drilled lugs, clean rehaut. - doesn't need to be explorer, could look at Airking / datejust. Can get lugs drilled.

7mm crown and tube -  gen if possible, I need to research as the early 7mm sub crowns were nice and slim I think?

SEL bracelet - better if it came with the case for a good fit.

369 dial - 'refinished' and in size to fit case and movement if available. Blue lume matched to hands.

movement - depends on case , ETA or SH3132

hands - modern, blue lume to match dial and fit movement.

Possible?

On 2017-10-14 at 5:57 PM, G4_Chrono said:

I love the quality of the JF V2 214270 - I just wish the same quality was available for the 36mm 114270.

I definitely enjoy 36mm, I love drilled lugs, don't like engraved rehauts and prefer printed dials.

I see a fantasy Franken / genstein for my version of a modern, Tempus Machina influenced, 1016.

My recipe:

36mm case - drilled lugs, clean rehaut. - doesn't need to be explorer, could look at Airking / datejust. Can get lugs drilled.

7mm crown and tube -  gen if possible, I need to research as the early 7mm sub crowns were nice and slim I think?

SEL bracelet - better if it came with the case for a good fit.

369 dial - 'refinished' and in size to fit case and movement if available. Blue lume matched to hands.

movement - depends on case , ETA or SH3132

hands - modern, blue lume to match dial and fit movement.

Possible?

Everything is possible, the big question is... How much will it cost you?

Have you thought about using the DJ 36mm as a base:

https://puretime03.com/featured-products/datejust-36-ss-116234-arf-1-1-best-edition-silver-dial-on-904l-ss-oyster-bracelet-sa3135.html

You will get 3 important parts:

1) Good movement (just remove the day-complication)

2) Good case

3) Good bracelet with great SEL

What remains case-wise is changing the x-tal and finding a good smooth bezel.. And well of course, the mods you mention above...

• Like 1

1 hour ago, hologramet said:

Everything is possible, the big question is... How much will it cost you?

Have you thought about using the DJ 36mm as a base:

https://puretime03.com/featured-products/datejust-36-ss-116234-arf-1-1-best-edition-silver-dial-on-904l-ss-oyster-bracelet-sa3135.html

You will get 3 important parts:

1) Good movement (just remove the day-complication)

2) Good case

3) Good bracelet with great SEL

What remains case-wise is changing the x-tal and finding a good smooth bezel.. And well of course, the mods you mention above...

the case/lug shape of a 116200 series datejust is different to a 114270 case

the 116200 series of datejust (i.e. the ARF 116234) has wider lugs and mirror-polished lugs. I also don't think it's possible to reshape a 116200 series into a 114270 because the 114270/16200 appears to have longer lugs (but this needs confirmation from others)

Edited by godkiller

True but the OP was talking about making a fantasy model in the style of a Tempus Machina. As TM always use current models, it would be in keeping to use this model and maybe consider some case shaping to maybe slim the sides. I don’t see what could be done with the lug ends without ruining the SEL fit. It sounds like a fun project to me.

22 minutes ago, Sogeha said:

True but the OP was talking about making a fantasy model in the style of a Tempus Machina. As TM always use current models, it would be in keeping to use this model and maybe consider some case shaping to maybe slim the sides. I don’t see what could be done with the lug ends without ruining the SEL fit. It sounds like a fun project to me.

i can see your point and @hologramet point - i guess it depends on how similar does the OP wants his 114270 build to look like a 114270 or a Tempus Machina (TM) influenced 1016 - both watches/style are quite unique by nature

if OP pursues a ARF 116234 datejust, then i probably would approach it like this
- smooth bezel (raffles 36mm)
- domed sapphire or I think a clarks 25-135 plexi might fit (because a gen 25-295c fits my gen 16000 case so I assume they can fit the opposite?)
- gilt 28mm 1016 dial with gold sub hands
- possibly athaya 700/800 bigger crown and tube (but i think it would look funny with a bigger crown, so i will leave the stock crown alone)
- heavily chamfered lugs with brushed finish 
- brush the stock ARF bracelet or buy a raffles oyster bracelet 78360 for $30

the above recommendations are based on the TM 116610 and its visual mods (that are relevant for a TM-inspired 116234) :
1. heavily chamfered lugs with brushed finish
2. gilt dial with gold hands
3. bigger crown
4. domed crystal
5. brushed bracelet

Edited by godkiller
  • Like 1

Right on!

However you can't compare a Raffles 78360 with ARF-bracelet. It's night and day. The ARF-bracelet is amazing. Finish, brushing (just give it some extra polishing on the engravings as there are still burn-dots visible and need to be buffed out.

Otherwise I have a BP Daytona 116500-braclet, just refurbished that I'm gonna post in the Trades-area in 4-6 hours, give it a look.

Also, the stock crown would be more than suiting as it's a 6mm one, similar to the 114270/1016-ish crown. But sure, one could always add a 7000+700-crown. I just don't see the relevant case why? There's never been a Explorer with 7 or 8mm crown?

Also remember it's not super-easy installing a plexi in the stock place as the gaskets & adhesion is quite different.

Old plexi-models hade a crystal retainer that creates quite some pressure at the base of the plexi.

You would need to find a new gasket (L-shaped) not with the flange fitting a sapphire crystal.

Also a straight plexi with the outer diameter straight. Also the total dimension should slighty above the diameter that would normally fit as you want some compression on the gasket + plexi crystal to give at least some water resistance.

Just now, hologramet said:

Right on!

However you can't compare a Raffles 78360 with ARF-bracelet. It's night and day. The ARF-bracelet is amazing. Finish, brushing (just give it some extra polishing on the engravings as there are still burn-dots visible and need to be buffed out.

Otherwise I have a BP Daytona 116500-braclet, just refurbished that I'm gonna post in the Trades-area in 4-6 hours, give it a look.

Also, the stock crown would be more than suiting as it's a 6mm one, similar to the 114270/1016-ish crown. But sure, one could always add a 7000+700-crown. I just don't see the relevant case why? There's never been a Explorer with 7 or 8mm crown?

Also remember it's not super-easy installing a plexi in the stock place as the gaskets & adhesion is quite different.

Old plexi-models hade a crystal retainer that creates quite some pressure at the base of the plexi.

You would need to find a new gasket (L-shaped) not with the [censored] fitting a sapphire crystal.

Also a straight plexi with the outer diameter straight. Also the total dimension should slighty above the diameter that would normally fit as you want some compression on the gasket + plexi crystal to give at least some water resistance.

That's true, the ARF bracelet is a million times better than the jagged and sharp-edge raffles.

The rationale for offering the raffles bracelet solution is because it is a shortcut for the OP to avoid rebrushing the ARF bracelet by using a raffles one (when the OP can potentially resell the ARF bracelet as well to recoup some project cost), or if the OP prefers to use a hollow end-link bracelet to get this '1016-influenced' vibe. Yuki 78360 may also be an alternative but I don't think their 78360 rep bracelet has hollow links (like raffles) and it looks similar to the raffles one (but cost extra). If OP prefers to use a SEL bracelet then there are other choices as well

as for using 700 crown with 7000 tube or 8mm crown, i am just following the tempus-inspired vibe where they use a bigger brevet crown

Actually I have 2 pcs of Domed sapphires with OD actually made for fitting in place of 25-295(C)

Here comes some more self-advertising, but check the trades are later. They actually were for (as far as I know) the first Tempus Machina-replica-project ever. That got scrapped after several years due to annoying Vietnamese dial maker that simply couldn't follow instructions...

Here's some info:

2 minutes ago, godkiller said:

as for using 700 crown with 7000 tube or 8mm crown, i am just following the tempus-inspired vibe where they use a bigger brevet crown

Yeah, correct and incorrect. The only reason they used a 800 crown is since the 6538 they we're emulating used a 8mm Brevet-crown.

Their 809H (5512 Explorer) uses the stock 7mm Triplock, even though a 700-crown Twinlock would be more suiting.

• Like 1

Hi

Thanks for the input. There is so much experience here, and it's great how sharing that experience and knowledge is encouraged.

This is a fantasy build idea I have! It's obviously not going to be a purist build but there are some features I prefer.

I would like a 114270 (36mm) with no rehaut engraving, lug holes, 7mm crown. A printed explorer dial with pillowy lume (white / blue). Correct 114270 hands with matching lume. And a SEL bracelet. Why? Because I like these features!

I've been playing with a cheap case. The mid case, crown and tube, bezel, crystal, bracelet are all from parts I had in the box.

@Ado213 has drilled the lugs on this case and he also put a bevel edge on the inside of a 7mm crown for me: (I think the crown is a bit too tall but I haven't given up on the concept)IMG_4918.thumb.JPG.f399602c4b1640018a0bae0890d42e4b.JPGIMG_4921.thumb.JPG.864c69183975404aaba133fb291a7a04.JPG