When you buy through links on our site, we may earn an affiliate commission.
  • Current Donation Goals

Got a weird 5513 yesterday and need advice.

e30m3

So, I go to pull the static plastic crystal protector off my new 5513, and the crystal and bezel right come off together (they're still together, as one unit). Can you guys look at the pics and tell me how the hell they were even attached in the first place? That rubber O-ring is just that - an O-ring. I see no remnants of glue but the bezel/crystal will not press-fit back on.

So then, I figure, pull the bracelet off and look for the "SAINLESS STEEL" 1665 case. But it's a 1680 case, with "STAINLESS STEEL" lasered (beautifully, I must say) between the lugs. Does that mean that this is NOT a cartel V2 (as I'd specifically ordered), and is a V1? Or is it something else? Will I be able to make the best possible cartel rep from this case?

Finally, your thoughts. Should I go to the trouble of sending it back? Is it fixable? Is it better to start with the 1665 case anyway? Frustrated.

Thank you.

IMG_4319.jpg

IMG_4321.jpg

IMG_4322.jpg

IMG_4325.jpg

IMG_4326.jpg

IMG_4328.jpg

Interesting! I've never seen an o-ring gasket on the neck of the case. First, you need to separate the parts- crystal, crystal retaining ring and the bezel with the bezel insert. You should be able to press the crystal out- hopefully with your thumbs/fingers. If not, you need to buy a $15 crystal press from a place like Harbor Freight and press it out. Then you should be able to put the crystal back on the case- pressing it over the gasket since the gasket might help with waterproofing. The crystal should be a tight fit over the case neck, but not too tight. If it's loose, that's no good either. Next you need to press the crystal retaining ring on- that should also be a tight fit and this is where the crystal press should help. Finally you press on the bezel- it should sort of snap over the crystal retaining ring since it's a tension fit. Just remembered there's a flat washer like ring that also should be in there- it goes on before you press on the bezel. If you don't have the tension washer, just go to installing the bezel next. You can press on the bezel with the insert in it or install the insert separately- it might be glued to the bezel which is fairly common on reps.

If this doesn't work, you might need to start swapping out parts- like a new T-19 crystal which you can get anywhere- they do vary in size slightly. A new aftermarket bezel assembly might also do the trick- Clark's used to carry them but you might have to ask Gary if he has them since they may not be listed on his ebay page. Other people also sell the 5513 bezel assembly- maybe WSO990- wholesaleoutlet990. The watch does look like a V2 cartel- crown guards are ok, but could be straightened up on the insides. A 1665 case is different from the 5513 case in that it has the HE valve and a thicker bezel assembly. The 1680 case and 5513 case are slightly different, but since this is a rep, I wouldn't worry about the engravings since they are really only for decoration- you're just trying to end up with a decent rep 5513 that looks good and functions. You could send the watch back- it's a hassle, but is up to you.   

Ive seen plenty of these replica constructed cases, most from Josh, and vintage models, all with plexi's fitted, the gasket is to aid water resistance.

Looking at the one photo of yours, the gasket appears twisted/deformed.

41 minutes ago, e30m3 said:

You guys think I should try to return it? Or make it work?

It's not difficult to replace the crystal, you're half way there. If you were intending to the mod the watch you may as well keep it. Trust me on this – the Cartel does need modding to get anywhere close to the original.

1 hour ago, Jack1993 said:

Where did you purchase this? Am I aloud to ask that..

You can pick them up from here:

http://www.pf-818.com/watches/rolex/submariner/vintages/0-0-0-0rlsv01006-vintage-5513-no-date-submariner-asia-eta-2836.html?___SID=U

• Like 1

Gotcha. So you’d have no major concern with these cg’s? They’re shape-able, that is?

...I’m asking in an effort to determine whether I should keep the watch or send it back...  leaning towards keeping it as I intend to modify it anyway.

crystal slid right out, btw. All the pieces desribed are there, plus a really thin white plastic spacer. Ever seen that? Super brittle. 

Last two cartel subs I received had the white gasket you are talking about. It’s meant to take up the extra space between the crystal and the retaining ring. Basically, the crystal is too small. I’d measure the ID diameter of the retaining ring and then order a PA crystal that Jackflash mentioned. There are a couple of different sizes to pick from.

Worst case is you have to glue the crystal in place. I ended up doing that on mine because the bezel assembly plus crystal kept popping off.

Sent from my iPad using Tapatalk

An old and tested piece of advice is to find a genuine watch online that you particularly like and copy it.

Decisions:

Pre 1967 with gilt dial or later white dial print

Pointed crown guards or rounded

domed or flatter service crystal

replacement crown?

leather, NATO or bracelet. If you are keeping the bracelet, take it of the watch and drop it in baby oil for 24 hours

How much, if at all do you want to age the bezel

Once you know what you are shooting at, we can help with suppliers and links to tutorials, guides, inspiration