When you buy through links on our site, we may earn an affiliate commission.
  • Current Donation Goals

Are reps getting too expensive

Sogeha

There has been much talk on the forums about the price of reps these days. Those of us that have been playing the game for a decade or more can remember being charged royally for reps that wouldn’t cut it these days. I don’t think $500 is too outrageous for a rep that takes gen parts. We are now discussing whether we need to fit a gen date wheel to Rolex reps. A) it takes a gen date wheel?   B ) is that all we have left to complain about. Ten years ago worrying about that wasn’t even thought about.

All of which is a rambling introduction to my new source of amusement. I am interested to see how bad reps can be, how cheap and if any dirt cheap reps are at all interesting. 

Results, yes, they can be spectacularly bad. They can get very cheap and some unbelievably cheap watches aren’t that bad. Today this arrived. No, not a super rep. It has flaws, it has obvious tells. On the other hand it isn’t a watch on the mainstream radar, nor do more than a few WIS know enough about the make to call out the flaws. As a taste of what a Nomos would look like on my wrist, it gets the job done, as a Bauhaus style Watch, it is pleasing. 

The cost? Not $500, not $100, not $50. For you, and well me obviously and for that matter anyone who fancies one, $5.76 including postage

5AD8CCB6-FD2D-4C04-AA63-90510C49C04A.jpeg

5C50E56D-F67D-431E-8CB8-73AC40FE7A2D.jpeg

I actually agree with you. A good rep at $500 whereas the gen is thousand of dollars makes sense; as long as it's a good rep. Personally I don't want to spend lots on poor reps. Cheap reps are fun and as long as they're cheap then who cares if they're accurate or not. Oh and if you please, PM me on where to get that deal on the Nomos. 

• 3 weeks later...

I’ve done it again, at this rate I will be bankrupt!

I saw a Daniel Wellington with Roman numerals in a jewellers and thought it looked rather elegant. DW is an interesting brand, from a business point of view there is much to impress, from a horological point of view they are singularly unimpressive. I certainly wasn’t going to pay €250 for a cheap Chinese quartz watch. Off to da gate that evening and I found a rep for beer money.

I don’t know DW well enough to know how accurate a copy it is and I’m guessing no WIS does, those that like DW probably don’t obsess over details like a WIS, so I’m golden.

24A8D04C-D2BF-4CAA-A20B-76ED9FAF4659.jpeg

• 2 weeks later...
There has been much talk on the forums about the price of reps these days. Those of us that have been playing the game for a decade or more can remember being charged royally for reps that wouldn’t cut it these days. I don’t think $500 is too outrageous for a rep that takes gen parts. We are now discussing whether we need to fit a gen date wheel to Rolex reps. A) it takes a gen date wheel   B ) is that all we have left to complain about. Ten years ago worrying about that wasn’t even thought about.

All of which is a rambling introduction to my new source of amusement. I am interested to see how bad reps can be, how cheap and if any dirt cheap reps are at all interesting. 
Results, yes, they can be spectacularly bad. They can get very cheap and some unbelievably cheap watches aren’t that bad. Today this arrived. No, not a super rep. It has flaws, it has obvious tells. On the other hand it isn’t a watch on the mainstream radar, nor do more than a few WIS know enough about the make to call out the flaws. As a taste of what a Nomos would look like on my wrist, it gets the job done, as a Bauhaus style Watch, it is pleasing. 

The cost? Not $500, not $100, not $50. For you, and well me obviously and for that matter anyone who fancies one, $5.76 including postage
5AD8CCB6-FD2D-4C04-AA63-90510C49C04A.thumb.jpeg.6fc484dc3d421dbc760cfc7eec3bf019.jpeg
5C50E56D-F67D-431E-8CB8-73AC40FE7A2D.thumb.jpeg.4d4f368af2acaa5c6ad632a45fb4bcd7.jpeg

Oh my, please PM me too!

I constantly see reps for sale in outrageous prices. Not saying these aren't special reps but who the hell would buy a franken Rolex for $3000? I mean what the f*ck???!!!! I bought my 16710 GEN for $3700 a few years ago. My gen 16610 was less than $5K too. Some of the asking prices are crazy. And not all these "super frankens" are even remotely accurate.

Reps are a lot of fun but anything beyond $300 is pushing it. Custom made ones, like WM9 and TC should probably be priced a bit higher as they're really special. 

• Like 3

Yes at certain price point you might as well go gen and most modders know they are are over building but they are striving for perfection. On the other side what are these "gen" vintage Rolex going for 20-25 some 50 K or more and how "gen" are they in some cases . So now if it cost you 3k to build a vintage that is selling for 20 30 k 10% of cost if you buy a good rep for $500 of a 5k watch same same, if you have the pockets no big deal.

• Like 1

Here is a beauty IMHO for $1345:

https://www.jomashop.com/maurice-lacroix-watch-mp6008-ss002-111.html

Do not like grey market OK two watches very well built last you a lifetime from ADs.

Beach.............

http://www.gnomonwatches.com/watches/ball-watch-co/fireman-necc-steel-bezel-blue-ref-dm3090a-sj-be

and no one doubts Sinn quality do they......?

Everyday:

http://www.watchbuys.com/store/pc/Sinn-556-Anniversary-Limited-Edition-Anthracite-Dial-on-Strap-10p2802.htm

Now if you want a Rolex style diver your choices are endless and you can get a very good one for around 5-6 hundred.

I've owned this screamingly nice on the wrist, all of 550!

http://www.gnomonwatches.com/watches/squale-watches/20-atmos-heritage-1545-sel-bracelet-mk2

$490 anyone:

http://www.gnomonwatches.com/watches/steinhart-watches/ocean-1-black-ceramic-2

Now as we now the micro brands are endless my point is some very high quality watches can be had and the tipping point is (if you look around) $500 once a rep gets over 400-500 you can go with a pretty nice gen. I think we all like to play with our rep hobby at 2 to 4 hundred but after that well .........................